i'm starting to believe in miracles

Old 02-04-2006, 05:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

i'm starting to believe in miracles

Hey everyone,
I first joined sober recovery about a year ago. My baby girl was a few months old and I was at the end of my rope with my alcoholic/addict boyfriend. We had been together four years and had lived together for the past year and a half. My AB drank 7 days a week from 1pm until whenever he passed out at night. At his worst he was spending close to $100 a day on booze and was popping 64 percs a day. In June of 2005 I finally left. I didn'tthink I'd ever go through with it, but I did and it changed my life. I discovered a whole other world out there. With my daughter at my side, I realized that I could be happy. It was the best thing I ever did. He steadily got worse. By the end of the summer, all of our friends were convinced that he was going to die within a couple of years. He was 37. Then a miracle. In November, 2005 my AB checked himself into detox. I was stunned. I later learned that he finally realized he needed help when he realized one day that he hadn't eaten in a week. He needed help. I was cynical. I didn't believe for a second that he was going to do it. But a month later he completed detox. The doctors had confirmed our fears- had he continued with his lifestyle he would have been dead inside a year. Still I had my doubts. I knew him. He was weak. He would never do this. I continued on with my life while offering him my support veiled with disbelief. A has been in rehab for a month now and I think I am finally beginning to believe him. He is a changed man. I am still reserving complete faith in him- I have been disappointed by him more times than I can count. But he is different. I see it when I visit him in rehab. I see it when he has his weekend passes and comes around to see us. He is interested in his daughter. He is apologetic to me. I don't know if we will ever get back together, but for my daughter's sake I am so happy that he has done this. In my mind, A was a hopless case. I had given up on him. I just wanted to tell someone that. There is always a chance. We may give up, but God never does. My heart goes out to everyone of you who is still struggling with a family members addictions. I know the pain. I have felt the pain, and anger and sadness. I have cried, and screamed and done everything you have done. I will pray for you. I will pray that you can find peace and that hope will sustain you. I am not healed, but i am on my own road to recovery, to forgiveness. I wish all of you the best!
Old 02-04-2006, 08:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Your story really made me cry, especially when you said "We may give up, but God never does"...
I'm feeling so torn and confused all the time. Don't know if I should stay or go. Your post reminded me that God is watching over me and my AH all the time. I should try to relax a little.
Wishing your family all the best! ****{canada1}}}
Old 02-04-2006, 08:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LiLL
Your story really made me cry, especially when you said "We may give up, but God never does"...
I'm feeling so torn and confused all the time. Don't know if I should stay or go. Your post reminded me that God is watching over me and my AH all the time. I should try to relax a little.
Wishing your family all the best! ****{canada1}}}
Ditto to everything you said,LiLL.

Thanks Cananda1.......continued success and happiness!
Old 02-05-2006, 06:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Grateful Member!

Originally Posted by canada1
A has been in rehab for a month now and I think I am finally beginning to believe him. He is a changed man. I am still reserving complete faith in him- I have been disappointed by him more times than I can count. But he is different. I see it when I visit him in rehab. I see it when he has his weekend passes and comes around to see us. He is interested in his daughter. He is apologetic to me. I don't know if we will ever get back together, but for my daughter's sake I am so happy that he has done this. In my mind, A was a hopless case. I had given up on him. I just wanted to tell someone that. There is always a chance. We may give up, but God never does.
What wonderful news for all of you! It really is a miracle when they finally take that first step. I can relate completely to "He is a changed man", on my second visit to see my RAH in rehab I saw it too! I couldn't pin point any one thing because it was an overall "attitude overhaul." I was very cautiously hopeful and I still am. He was 30 days clean and sober yesterday. And, I didn't even know. One of my alanon buddies told me not to count the days so I don't, but he came home from his meeting and told me. It is a real milestone for him and I could see and hear his grateful pride.

We have had a wonderful two weeks together as a communicating, functioning family in recovery and it is a miracle. If anyone told me 6 weeks ago what we would be doing today, I never would have believed them! There is hope. For today, our family is living proof.

Have you tried Alanon?
Old 02-05-2006, 02:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It is amazing what can happen when you let put your problems in the hands of your higher power. My wife was on the respirator going on 11 days. When I believed and let the lord have it she suddenly was able to break from the respirator. This morning she is talking very fluid and coherent. She knows that alcohol will kill her if she drinks again. I am sure she gets it, hope she can handle it. This thread gives a lot of hope to many.
Old 02-06-2006, 06:22 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Best of luck to you. I hope this is the wake up call your wife needs.
Old 02-06-2006, 08:13 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Believe in miracles, because they only happen to those who believe.
Faith as small as a mustard seed is all it takes.
In your doubt, as you look back over it, you will see there was always a bit of hope in there. I am sure many prayers as well.

Many more to come...Keep believing.
Old 02-06-2006, 08:29 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

awesome post canada1 - God is good - may your family continue in recovery and it's so heart-warming to read posts such as yours.
Old 02-06-2006, 08:29 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I will continue to believe in miracles. I thought someone I know
was blessed with one recently. Not too sure anymore, doesn't matter
because I will continue to believe for without faith what do we have?
Blessings to you Canada.....