What do you do at 2 am?

Old 01-30-2006, 06:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question What do you do at 2 am?

Hi,

I have been hanging around the background of this forum for a little bit trying to gain insight into my younger sister. She is an active alcoholic and is suffering the health damage of living in a state of intoxication. I have only just registered to the site, but I need some help. I don't have a lot of contact with her any more, I used to be the one who picked her up and gave her a place to sleep it off, but reading your posts I realize how much I was allowing her to continue drinking. I now have a new problem...Sleeping.

I am not sleeping hardly at all, last night 2 am, I was tossing and turning wondering where she was and if she was ok. How do you sleep? I got up and starting cleaning and cooking, I live alone so I wasn't disturbing any one else, just keeping myself up all night. I'm tired of being tired, but unless I am exhausted the guilt of not knowing is keeping me awake. How do I deal with this?
Old 01-30-2006, 08:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sorry you are not sleeping. DO you think you are a little depressed/anxious. Certainly, dealing with an alcholic can cause that and the lack of sleeping, etc. If this continues, you might want to talk with your doctor. It might be good also for you to talk to a counselor about all this and how to deal with it. It's a lot to deal with and she's been wreacking havoc in your life for a while it seems. I'm sorry you have to go thru all this. We all understand so very much.
Old 01-30-2006, 08:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

When I awake from a sound sleep and realize that someone is still out and may be drinking, I go right into prayer.

I can't follow them around 24 hours a day and I can't hold their hand away from a drink. Their choices.
What I can do is ask God to keep his eye out for them. With putting things in God's hands, I can go back to sleep knowing He is in control.
Old 01-30-2006, 08:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR.... we are glad you found us.

I had that same problem during the end of my relationship with my ex... and for about a month after. I would sleep maybe 4 hours a night and felt/looked like a zombie.

When it finally became too much I started taking tynol pm every night, this at least allowed me a little more sleep, then I started to take the focus off him, little bits at a time... but it helped. I also started REALLY focusing on my life, and spiritual life... prayers helped alot as well. Once I became a little more sain... I started Al-anon, then worked my own recovery... which helped alot ... Answered alot of nagging questions and gave me alot of much needed support.

Hope that helps... I can sure understand where your at.
Old 01-30-2006, 09:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi and glad you're here.

When it comes to worry - I'm still working on that one!! But I have realised when I'm tired I don't think straight - especially in what should be sleep time. I try to take myself with a pinch of salt and remind myself it feels different once I'm not tired, that I feel less confident when I'm tired, that situations feel oeverwhelming etc.

If I can't sleep I still count it as rest time, no work! I'll read, take a bath, have a coco, but I tell myself I have x hours of self indulgence before the time I'd have to get up. I've always found myself returning to bed before those hours have ended! I hate tossing and turning too - I figure if I can't sleep or think straight being 'trapped' in bed because I 'should' sleep is murder. I get up because there's no way in hell I can't find better things to do than roll around tormenting myself with an added self telling off for not being asleep!

It suits me like that but the worst I've had is about 3-4 nights on the trot last year, much longer and I'd have gone to the docs on my knees. I need my sleep!
Old 01-30-2006, 01:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I use Melatonin, works great for me and it is over the counter. I will probably get flak for it well see. When your wife is in ICU you don't sleep well.
Old 01-30-2006, 03:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

No drugs, boundaries. This is your home not a flop house. Be in by midnight or move out. You don't lose sleep over someone you aren't expecting.