Notices

Please Help

Old 01-29-2006, 08:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Please Help

Hello:

I have a newer friend who has a drinking problem. He attempted to become sober about a year ago and recently had a drinking spell of 3 days. He broke down to me and said that he didn't know what to do; he was also very ashamed. The problem is, I don't know how best I can help him. He was going to AA meetings on a regular basis but has stopped. He said he is returning to them this week--I trust that he will.
I talked to him today after he broke down and I tried my best. I assured him that he doens't have to be ashamed of himself OR of talking to me or anyone else--though I do understand that his feelings of shame are hard to look past. I made it my point to tell him that he should not go through this alone, ever. He agrees--but to what extent? I didn't nag or anything like that.
What else? How can I help? I honestly don't know anything about helping a friend (or anyone) with an alcohol addiction. I've researched online and found a lot on the nature of alcoholism but not much on what a friend (someone who cares) can do to best help this person who NEEDS help (help so he doesn't go through it alone!!!). Al-Anon looked interesting but it looked like more for people whose lives are impared by their alcoholic family members/friends/loved ones. Is al-anon for a friend who does not have any clue as to how to help. Please give me some resources. His parents are very supportive fortunatley.

Thank you, I look forward to some help!
Gary
Old 01-29-2006, 08:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to SR...

Look at the chapter
Working with others..

http://www.aa.org/bigbookonline/en_tableofcnt.cfm

He knows the deal...just continue to be his friend
Old 01-29-2006, 08:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thumbs up You Can Lead A Horse To The Well But You Can Not Make Him Drink

Dear Help Me Please You Can Lead A Horse To Water But You Can't Make Him Drink You Must Trust God Not Necessay Him Because He Has Addiction So Don't Be Up Set If He Does Not Find His Way Back Iimmediately And That's All You Can Do Is Trust The Process And Pray! Pray! Pray!