Notices

Haven't actually stopped drinking yet.

Old 01-27-2006, 10:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Haven't actually stopped drinking yet.

This is my first time doing anything like this. I have thought for some time that I had a problem with alcohol. At first it was drinking with friends, partying. Then, I think I was self medicating as a few years back I was diagnosed with Bipolar II. Now, I am being successfully treated for bipolar and feel great, am very productive, and see a very impressive future for myself. The one thing that seems to hamper my progress is drinking alcohol. I don't drink everyday, but when I do, I drink enough to sleep half my day away the next day, I usually have a fairly nasty hangover, I don't get the things done that I need to, and in most cases when I am drinking, I wind up doing something really stupid and feel guilty or embarrased about it the next day. I know that I really like how I feel without alcohol in my life, but I am not sure what to do at this point. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Also, I don't see myself at AA meetings and probably won't go even if it's suggested. I don't see aproblem with people who go to AA, but I know myself well enough to know that I won't go.
Thanks for listening
Old 01-27-2006, 10:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

I'm glad you've found us and I hope you keep posting here. Just take small steps. Stop drinking for today and don't think 'forever' and let yourself get overwhelmed. Changing daily routines and habits helped me a lot. Sometimes it's necessary to make serious changes in your life, such as the friends you hang out with. There's lots of support and encouragement here, so keep visiting.
Old 01-27-2006, 10:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
I bite.

Welcome!

It sounds like you know you have a problem and that is a big step. The tools are here to help you. Stay a while.
Old 01-27-2006, 10:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Paused

You say you are not sure what to do, but I think you know. We all know in the back of our minds that the only thing to do is....stop drinking. It really is the only way. Good luck!!
Old 01-27-2006, 10:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hello and Welcome!

I do hope you find your answers...AA is mine.
There are alternatives to AA...

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...nfo-76726.html

It's great to see a new member...
Old 01-27-2006, 10:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Still learning; ever grateful

Hey Spamperd. Garsh is right - you DO know what you have to do. It's hard at first, but it CAN be done. We are all living proof of that. The fact that you reached out is a HUGE step. I know they say "admitting it is half the battle", but I disagree. I admitted it for 3 years before I did anything about it. But now I have, and you can, too. Sober life is SO much better. Try it and you'll see. We're here for you!!
Old 01-27-2006, 11:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi there,

I can so relate to your feelings of not wanting to go to an AA meeting. It seems like such a commitment to NEVER drink again. You probably aren't ready to pick a sponsor and get started working the steps. And who's going to be there but a bunch of drunks talking about things you can't relate to. DON'T WORRY ABOUT ANY OF THESE.
I was so full of fear before my first meeting (I've been to 3 now) because I was afraid of getting sucked into something I just wasn't ready for. I didn't/don't think of myself as an alcoholic so I didn't/don't think I have a need for AA, but I went anyway. I never do anything without a thorough investigation and this is no exception. I went so I could at least say I've investigated this piece of the puzzle. Guess what I found?

A) There is NO commitment. No sign in, no membership card, no rules about drinking. You decide your own rules. You decide to not drink for 1 day at a time, not forever. I found tremendous comfort in that. You may also.

B) You don't start working the steps until you are ready to start. You can take all the time you need to determine if AA is right for you or if you feel you are even an alcoholic. If you want to wait a year, you can. If you want to get started right away, you can. Everyone there wants to help, but NO ONE will pressure you to do anything.

C) Of course they're a bunch of drunks (sober and trying to stay that way), but almost always they have something to say that you will be able to relate to. They've been where you are at now or where you're going. It's the most comforting feeling to hear someone else say that they are feeling something that you though only you felt deep inside you.

I would suggest that you break down your barrier against AA and at least go to one meeting. Then you can decide how you feel. If you hate it, don't go back, but keep looking for something else somewhere. My guess is that you'll begin to understand yourself better by hearing other experiences.

good luck
Old 01-27-2006, 01:32 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I totally agree with winelover and carol, you must try something to see if it works. I do think forums are a great place to find answers and support. In my opinion, its best to find people in your area with the same problem and be able to relate to face to face. It could be a.a. or some other form of recovery group, but working with others can be a whole lot easier than doing it alone. I said the same thing about a.a. when I started, but I owe the group my life now. I also made a commitment to help others in my situation, so if you need anything let me know

Bp
Old 01-27-2006, 02:34 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Welcome to SR
Old 01-27-2006, 03:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome! Stick around - read some posts and then decide what you want to do. I do find it funny that many people flat out say 'no AA - not for me' without ever going to 1 meeting. AA has helped me so much in this struggle.

I hope you find the answers you are looking for - good luck!
JMHS
Old 01-27-2006, 04:31 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Spamperd....
I totally can relate to what you are going through and saying...
I am a SLOW recovery....process....and Have trouble with "never" having a drink again....
I am having trouble with AA...and have had relapses.
It is a struggle between Denial and Acceptance....Denial that there is really anything wrong with my life or what I do and Acceptance with the idea that Life would be better for me without alcohol. I struggle with this Idea everyday.....
AA meetings....to me, I've been to about 10, and find myself comparing...thinking "I'm not that bad....I don't look that bad...I haven't lost that much." Then I think "That Could be me".
So I go.....I think AA is more a Philosophy on how to live your life and develop coping mechanisms Rather than a "live w/o alcohol" As I've heard speakers say that if you're still using keep coming and listen.
What I Can Tell You about what I've found.....Is At least an Ability to Move Forward with a better Attitude about life....And the more I hear words of encouragement and comfort....the less I want a drink.....b/c those words and comfort replace what that glass or two or three etc of wine was Giving Me.
I think.....It's all about Finding Peace....with yourself.....
Like Sure....drinking Brings you that peace and calm....But this SoberRecovery....AA....Smart Recovery.....can offer a replacement to that dependance and Hopefully alcohol no longer Plays a role in your life.
I've only Been doing this "recovery thing" for a couple months...But that's what I'm picking up on.....And I'm developing a confidence that being drunk....isn't necessarily the ONLY option.....
I wish you well!
Old 01-29-2006, 03:10 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hello Again...just told husband that I want to get help.

Hi! Well, we went out to dinner last night and I proceeded to over do it yet again. I didn't go to bed until 6:30 am and I managed to ask people that we didn't know to come to our house to have drinks. One of htem actually came over and when I got up this afternoon I realized how dangerous that was. Luckily he turned out to be nice but how could I have known that this guy wasn't going to kill us or rip us off. Even worse, my husband got stuck driving this person home today (2 hours away) and I ruined our one night out in a long time. I have the shakes today and I just want to crawl back into bed. I told my husband that I want to get help--tomorrow. I don't know if I will be able to get in with a therapist though...
Old 01-29-2006, 05:37 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Chy

Welcome and keep coming back!