A little OT, not really

Old 01-26-2006, 02:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A little OT, not really

In a previous thread before I had an interview, I mentioned that I did not know what I would do about my dogs should I leave. I got good advice that I could deal with that if/when it happened. But I really do need to address this now...my dogs are a huge deal for me, and I need to feel comfortable with their arrangements as a part of my plan. Can y'all help me?

I have two dogs. The older one loves to stay inside and sleep all day (K). The baby is a ball of energy who could not stand to be cooped up all day (M). So if I took both with me, I would have to have a yard, and therefore have to pay more rent. That would be hard during a transition like this. If I took just K, we could make do with an efficiency for a while. M thinks the world of K...she follows him everywhere. She is a baby, and he's all she's ever known. She would be so lonely without him. K is always so annoyed with M...he had three years of being alone before she came along. Poor thing, he can't stay away from her enough. K is my baby...M has been my husband's. BUT, I don't want to leave her behind because I first worry that she would be so lonely, but more importantly, I worry that my husband wouldn't care for her properly. She has been totally babied, plus when he disappears mid-binge, he wouldn't be around to let her in and out, feed her, etc. I think leaving her would almost be harder than leaving my husband!! If you were me, what would you do?
Old 01-26-2006, 03:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

I might have to get a part time job so I could afford a yard...
Old 01-26-2006, 03:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

Good answer, Splendra. TG, how about making plans that include both dogs as opposed to making plans to separate them? I've had dogs all my life and an energetic young dog will do fine without a yard. Just give him plenty of walks and even trips to the local dog park. Believe me, your dogs will fare much better with you in a yardless home than they will with an intoxicated owner.

Still not convinced? Then read Richie's post on the AA forum about the new puppy he aquired a few months back, who has since starved to death--an ending that I privately predicted would happen. I tried to convince him to give the pup away from the get go. He would leave the pup to fend for himself for days without food or water while he went out on a binge. He never let him outside to do his business. He said housetraining him was a pain and he didn't mind letting the pup go in the house, so the poor pup lived in his own excrement. He would take him for walks and he was too drunk to notice that the pup was no longer being walked, but was being dragged--until folks on the street would stop him and try and intercede.

Don't leave a defenseless animal in the care of an irresponsible owner. Do whatever it takes to get those animals away from him, even if you have to rehome the younger dog.
Old 01-26-2006, 03:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Keep the dogs, their safety will give you more strength in this move and more comfort.
Old 01-26-2006, 07:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Getting busy living!

I've heard somewhere that a dog has something like the mentality of a 3-year old human. Even if it was like a 7-year old, would you leave a 7 - year old in your husbands care? I have two dogs and I consider them like children in the sense that I know that they can't take care of themselves. Take both dogs. It will be tough but at least regarding their welfare you'll have peace of mind and as us pet owners know, their unconditional love sometimes can be a real lifesaver.
Old 01-27-2006, 06:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for your input. My dogs are my babies, but I felt kind of selfish taking both dogs. My husband wouldn't miss K very much if at all...M is an another story. I think he would think I was the lowest of low for taking the one he loves the most. And since he doesn't drink to the point of intoxication every night, I thought maybe I was overreacting. See, when I say he might not care for her properly, I mean he might leave her out overnight if he didn't come home. And that, to my baby who sleeps with me every night, is not a good thing! And the let in and out, that's more about him not letting her stay inside enough. He would care for her, just not to the baby standards I set!!! Alcoholism does progress though, and to think of her there alone kills me. She'll go with me...and you've made me feel less guilty about robbing her from him.