Notices

asking for help

Old 01-24-2006, 04:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

asking for help

Hello everyone,

I am a 19 year old male who is having a major problem with use of marijuana, everyone else that says marijuana doesn't lead to dependency hasn't had the problems i have had with it. And i would ask that because most people need help with stronger narcotics, don't look at me as someone that really doesn't need to much help. I have tried quitting on my own but there are to many pressures around me, also every where i go i see people using pot. I feel it makes me depressed when im not smoking, and i find myself doing things when im on the drugs that i wouldn't want to do when i was sober. i hope signing up for this will give me the help i need to get over that hill, tomorrow is a new day and i am going to begin my journey and hopeful get some support from others who have went through the same or worse. Thank you
Old 01-24-2006, 04:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Pjames,

Marijuana is addictive, just like any drug. You are doing the right thing.

My husband was smoking pot for the first 10 years of our marriage. He couldn't stop until one day he got fed up with it and what it was costing and quit. He didn't get help, although I urged him to. He was pretty nasty to live with for awhile, but then things settled down.

You are in the right place. Welcome to SR. Keep posting.
My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Carol
Old 01-24-2006, 04:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

thank you

Thank you Carolm,
this is why I am here because there are people out there that care, i have a family that cares alot but i want to do this on my own with out causing them any pain. i hope to succed this site is really an amazing tool and im sure has help so many people.
Old 01-24-2006, 06:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Support our Troops.

I had a "non-problem" with pot for thirty seven years.

But just smoking pot was no big deal right? Others will say that pot is really not addictive. I think that you already know better than that.

Myself, I believe that an addiction is an addiction. Pot, pills, alcohol, whatever, it is really doesn’t matter. In my book, the mindset or thought process is the same.

Get rid of the weed you have left. Get rid of related items too, papers, pipes. Tell everyone you know of your decision to quit. Stay away from those who tempt you to smoke. After you quit you will find that most of your pothead friends will stop calling you to go out and party. Is this because you remind them of their own shortcomings (addictions)? Probably.

You have to keep busy, busy, busy. Walking helps, petting the dog or cat, Build something, clean something. Your car, home, pet. Keeping busy will help keep your mind off smoking pot. This was helpful for me. I had to break the old routine of my life.

Try different things, even things you didn’t like to do. You may find that being clean will make some of these unpleasant things enjoyable.

I can tell you that once you quit, life will get better. The things that I found the most difficult was lack of sleep and change of eating habits. I ALWAYS smoked before eating and going to bed.

It is really great not having to worry about being stopped by the law and searched because the cop smelt something in the car. I have been worrying about this ever since I got my drivers license at age 15. I am now 48.

You are the only one that can decide how to get clean and stay that way. Being able to cope with daily problems, and being comfortable in you own skin is important. Some people have great success with AA, NA, or other 12 step type programs for this very reason

Myself, I relied on a strong will, support of my wife, and SoberRecovery.

This is a decision only you can make.
Old 01-24-2006, 08:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I was a 1/4oz a week pot smoker for about 6 years. I'm now 28, and haven't had a puff in well over a year. Many folks belittle the psychologically addictive nature of pot (it is true that it is not physically addictive), but there seem to be certain folks out there that are really susceptible to a profound addiction to the stuff. If you have a problem with pot, and believe that treatment might help, there's absolutely no shame in giving it a go. I recall many years ago encountering someone in treatment that was smoking well over 30 joints a day, and had been reduced to sitting in his one bedroom apartment immediately surrounded by all of his possessions, seized with paranoia. Given, that's a pretty extreme example, but with certain circumstances and certain people, pot can be pretty nasty. Good luck with your efforts, sir.
Old 01-25-2006, 02:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Doug

Welcome to SR James, I'm Doug, and I'm an addict. What that menat for me was that I smoked pot for years, more and more pot, until it couldn't do the job, and I start moving up the ladder of other chemicals. Of course i continued to smoke pot as well, and before I knew it, I was another homeless, down and out junkie. But I never had a problem becuase I believed I was ok by just doing this, or only doing that.

Your 19 and your looking for help, you don't know it but thats HUGE! I was introduced to recovery when I was 18, but I spent, (wasted) another 15 years doing my own thing because I thought I knew better.

Its hard, I know, when other folks are whispering in your ear, but I can almost garantee that if you follow that little voice in your head instead, you won't at all regret it. Its your life, your years, not anybody elses, they lose nothing if you spend another 20 years smoking. If you read around these forums, you'll see the experience that shows, that you stand to lose everything.

I admire your courage, and honesty, its something to be proud of, and I hope you stick around.

Once again welcome.

Old 01-25-2006, 03:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, first of all. I personally never had a problem with weed but I think any substance can be addictive if you let it get the best of you. Hang in there, SR provides a lot of wisdom and different takes (12 steps orientated and alternatives to 12 steps) on addiction problems.
Old 01-25-2006, 06:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
one of many

Pjames, pot seems safe because the decline of it's victim is not as noticeable. But for the addict it is just as deadly as anything else.

Originally Posted by breakfast_yeti
I recall many years ago encountering someone in treatment that was smoking well over 30 joints a day, and had been reduced to sitting in his one bedroom apartment immediately surrounded by all of his possessions, seized with paranoia.
Actually yeti, I'm willing to bet this example might be more common than you think. I dropped out of college just so people would stop bothering me so I could smoke more. I enjoyed isolating and smoking all day everyday. The key seems to be isolation, addicts seem to isolate ultimately no matter what their DOC is or was.
Old 01-25-2006, 09:15 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Support our Troops.

Originally Posted by skunkape
I enjoyed isolating and smoking all day everyday. The key seems to be isolation, addicts seem to isolate ultimately no matter what their DOC is or was.
That was so true in my case. I got to the point where I only enjoyed my own company.
Old 01-25-2006, 11:38 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
1 bite&all resistance crumbles

Welcome!
Pot is soo dangerous - just like all our other drugs of choice! I am so pleased for you that at such a young age you are looking for help...even the title of your post is a big step. Many/most addicts in your situation would wait maybe another 20/30 years at least until they were totally annihilated. Good for you for being proactive!!!
My sister had the same DOC. Lost so much. Went to an NA meeting 14.5 weeks ago and has been clean since...and happy about it!!!!! Been smoking daily for about 18 years...not bad hey!
NA is a great way to meet new people and actually get some really brilliant tools to LIVE! When I was last at an NA meeting there were a lot of really cool young people like yourself there.
I'd urge you to look up one in your area and also post on Substance Abuse / NA forum and just read, read, read! There's so much to learn here!
!
Good luck!
It's great to have you here!
CAthy31
x
Old 01-25-2006, 11:45 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

i want to thank everyone for there kind words and advice, and most of all support, i feel blessed to have this community at my finger tips
Old 01-26-2006, 06:52 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

pjames.....i wish my 19 year old son would find this sight too. congratulations on making the first step. reaching out for help. your parents would be proud to know that at least you have the desire to quit the pot thing. my son is in jail because of his addiction to pot. he used to argue with me that pot was NOT a gateway drug. That was almost five years ago. Since his pot addiction started, he's tried nearly every drug he could get his hands on. If you can quit now, you may be saving yourself a life time of misery and pain. Not to mention how extremely happy your family would be, and also how proud you would be of yourself. Best of luck in your recovery.