Need to Breathe.....

Old 01-23-2006, 02:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need to Breathe.....

Ok Friends, my boss is lowering my performance rating and it is completely unfair. She has only been here 3 months and is trying to evaluate me for 12. It is so political here, and I try to play along. I am waiting to meet with her and trying to breathe. I should wait until tomorrow to speak with her but I just can't. If someone is out there, please help me. This is not a measure of what I am worth. But darn it all I work hard and this in not a reflection of my contribution. Please help.
Old 01-23-2006, 02:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Rose...please try to wait til tomorrow to speak with her.
No matter what you say today, it may come out wrong.....
Good job, keep breathing......
and yes you are so worth it...hang in there
Old 01-23-2006, 02:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Acting not reacting

Im with Patty. Wait. I know about office politics and I feel for you
Old 01-23-2006, 02:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for the advice, I already asked her to meet with me. I will try to gather information and make comments myself. Give me food for thought for tomorrow. My heart is pounding. I should have waited, but I am so surprised and mad. Thanks again
Old 01-23-2006, 02:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Alcohol is a cruel mistress!!!

Hi Rose, I see that u are on!! Whats happening!!
Old 01-23-2006, 02:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Getting busy living!

Geez, that's not fair to you! I know where I work, if a supervisor hasn't been in the position for a full year when an employee's evaluation is due they solicit information from the prior supervisor (if still with the company) and they also always get feedback from the co-workers the individual has worked the most with. But then again I'm very lucky to work for a very good company and I know not all do what's right or what's fair. Corporate policies and politics sure can suck! I'm sorry Rose. ((((Hugs))))
Old 01-23-2006, 02:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Folks, still waiting to meet with my manager. I think she is getting "Strtegy" lessons from the second like manager. She is a new manager and doesn't have a clue. Wish me luck.
Old 01-23-2006, 02:58 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Alcohol is a cruel mistress!!!

You will do great Rose!! Just grin and bare it!! Don't be afraid to voice your contributions!!!! Luck out to you! My little angel has got your back!!
Old 01-24-2006, 05:04 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Good MOrning Friends, Thank you so much for being there for me yesterday. It really helped. I had trouble sleeping last night, and I am still angry this morning, but calmer. Its not fair but its not personal, they decided that most of the department would receive a lower appraisal because of a bad audit in October. DOne deal at a high level, nothing I could have done to aviod it. The hard part is they try to make it seem like it was my fault, that I could have made it different. THis company use to be a good company to work for, but over the past few years, it has gone down the tubes. It does no good to complain to upper managment, as it was upper management that made this decision. So I will be calm, and get on with my life and not treat this incident as a reflection of my worth. Liz and Patty you were right about waiting until today, maybe next time I will listen.
Old 01-24-2006, 08:06 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hey Rose,

One suggestion (which I learned the hard way)..if you don't agree with the appraisal, document it..I know when it happened to me, I wrote a factual rebuttal and did not sign the appraisal..

so when you are feeling more calm, you may want to document your side and put it in your HR record "on the record" so to speak..

it at least made me feel better..
Old 01-25-2006, 04:50 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks Minx, yes I am documenting my thoughts about the appraisal. I am not sure if I can not sign it, there is a place for comments but it is frowned upon to put negative comments in this field. I went to my second line manager and voiced my concerns. Not that it helped, he was certainly not an independent party as he was involved in the rating. The truth is that as a result of this audit, everyone in my dept is getting a lower appriasal and they found words to make it seem like everyone's responsibility. But I will have my documentation ready in case I decide to use it. This is really not good, I didn't sleep last night and woke up this morning with a bad headache. It is not worth getting sick over. Thanks for listening, it really helped me.