Journeygal- Bridge dreams

Old 01-07-2003, 03:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Just one of the gang

Journeygal- Bridge dreams

Hi Journeygal.

I was so intrigued by your bridge dream. Since JT thinks I don't post enough (honestly, how many times do you want to read a 3000 word essay?) I decided to share mine, too. I was never afraid of bridges until I was a teenager. I was walking across an overpass one day when I became terrified, thought it was rocking under me and couldn't move. Shortly after that I started having this dream.

I climb a ladder made of rope and wooden slats. I'm wearing long skirts and they are heavy and wet. It's dark, raining and misty and the wind is blowing furiously. When I get to the top, I'm looking out over what I know is a long footbridge over the East River. (I have never lived anywhere near the East River. I had never even seen the East River when I first had this dream.) I can't see the water below for the mist and darkness. I can't even see to the middle of the bridge. It's made of heavy ropes with planks. I am terrified of having to cross. I look ahead and see that the bridge is swaying and shortly ahead of me, some of the planks have been torn away by the gusts. Too many for me to be able to cross. I am both concerned that I can't go on and relieved that I don't have to. Horribly, just beyond the chasm I see a child on the bridge. He looks like something out of a Charles Dickens novel. His back is to me, but I can see that the boards have been ripped away around his feet, and he is barely clinging to the ropes, one foot in the air and one slipping against the cable that should have been supporting wooden treads. He's going to die. There's no getting to him. The wind whips him around and he sees me. He's a stranger. I see his desperation turn to agonized hope. I see him clinging, frantic and watching me with expectation. I pull myself into the wind and onto the bridge. I wake up.

Is that a codependent's nightmare, or what?
Dop
Old 01-07-2003, 05:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Dop

Sounds scary and yes, like a codependent nightmare. I used to wake up screaming from terrifying dreams not so different from those you describe. I'd scare my husband and scare my cat, but I couldn't help it - they just happened. I would sometimes even make a point of staying up late hoping I would be too tired to dream, but they still happened. And it happened often.

This will sound very "pat answer" and I don't mean it to..it's the truth. But the more I got connected spiritually and the more I worked on my recovery, the fewer and further apart the dreams became. The dreams were about my fears, and the dreams increased my fears. But through prayer, recovery, and facing my demons, I got past this and now my nightmares are rare.

What we don't acknowledge while awake, may come back to haunt us while we sleep.
Old 01-07-2003, 05:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
believer

Gosh, what an intense and scary dream!

The armchair shrink in me wants to say that the little boy represents you, your inner child if you will, and that you were trying to find a way to save yourself, that you thought all hope was lost until you reached out or saw someone or something that might be able to save you. Of course, I'm totally guessing here....Whatever was going on in your life at the time can probably help you to understand what your dream was telling you. Our dreams often hold clues to a deeper meaning or understanding than we are able to grasp in our consciousness. And sometimes, they don't mean anything!