Turn around :D

Old 01-20-2006, 12:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Turn around :D

A year ago D would barely talk to anyone other than me or his family - sometimes not at all if sober. Three months ago he hadn't driven for months, struggled to get out the house on his own and we both contemplated that him getting drunk again might be the only way to get help. He had no job and had been told by his doc not even to look for one.

Yesterday he came home after a lovely day. He'd driven down to London to calibrate some widgets. He had to do the driving but two of them went - stuck in a car for hours, only stuck wouldn't be the right word; it would have been a few months ago but not now. He came home and told me how good it was, they chatted all the way down. F agreed with D's haphazard navigation methods, not to worry if the wrong road is taken! They talked about ancient sites, photography, the bosses, the bonus's, Whitby and how nice it was for a visit, archery and sport, dogs, the lake district, wildlife, homelife, metal detecting (neither of them have done this though), they talked about gardens, and fossils.... and that's all I can remember from D's recounting.

Oh and they found a handy party trick he can do at work. If they have a circuit board that doesn't work and one that does they can show them to D and he can see the fault on the bad one. Sort of like a loopy hard spot the difference, very loopy!!

Last night D managed to get another camera up and running, not well enough to sell though. He's thinking about giving it to F to get him into digi photography.

We watched Shrek for the umpteenth time, D still lost the plot laughing when the bluebird explodes.

He was still happy about his day and I don't know why but I said "Just be all you can be at work, it's time to spread your wings and see what happens." That's when he told me about his party trick with the circuit boards!!

After all these years could he really have found somewhere he can be? If he's letting people know him then the friendship shown him is for him. I think he knows that.
Old 01-20-2006, 02:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

How exciting, Thank you for sharing. Happy for you both.
Old 01-20-2006, 03:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

another happy smiley post to start my day! that's just downright heartwarming equus - thank you!
Old 01-20-2006, 03:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It's great to be able to share a smile - I've shared enough woes here!

You know he got home and talked non-stop for nearly two hours about all the things they chatted about! I even got to hear what he'd eaten from the Little Chef on their way back (both D and F)!

I somehow doubt F's wife got such a detailed inventory, but then this is NEW for D, sometimes it's his enthusiasm that reminds me of that.

I still can't seem to stabalise between an insane grin and a gob wide open, gawp!!
Old 01-20-2006, 05:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Amazing, Eq. Isn't it amazing what a bit of self-worth bolstered by some external validation can do?

(Did he have an Olympic Breakfast?)
Old 01-20-2006, 05:29 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Bacon butty on the way down and ommelette + hash browns on the way up!
Old 01-20-2006, 05:33 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

A man after my own heart then - I usually have omelette too! Have spent far too much time in Little Chefs over the years. In fact, we're back to visiting the same ones as we did in the 80s as the boat is kept in Holyhead and we used to go back and forth on the ferry back then.

Oops, risking a major thread de-railment there. It's fantastic that D is doing so well. Long may it last.
Old 01-20-2006, 05:41 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by equus
an insane grin and a gob wide open, gawp!!
Another one for "The Book of Equusisms".
Thanks for the morning Eq.
Old 01-20-2006, 06:53 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gabe
Another one for "The Book of Equusisms".
Thanks for the morning Eq.
That sounds frighteningly like a real word!! Don't you have 'gawping' in the US? Ahhhhhh.... The memories of schoolyard days where the crystal air would ring to the subtle tones of.....

"Warra you gawping at?"
"Dunno, the label's dropped off."
Old 01-20-2006, 04:47 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm not going to start a new thread for shame of it!!

I looked at D tonight on the sofa and remebered small flashbacks from a decade ago and some from the last year. It was strange because throughout I had the feeling of past tense, not like sometimes when I remember things like they are now. I looked at him and felt this 'body' 'amount' of things he came through to come back, to get sober.

I gave him a hug, thanked him and told him what for, I thanked him for tonight and all the effort that makes this night possible.

And if he isn't out that flippin' bathroom yet I'll 'ave 'is guts for garters!!

Night night all.... keep safe 'cos it's the best thing to do for all our loved ones!