Notices

Is relapse a part of recovery?

Old 01-19-2006, 02:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I have heard this question posed for years.

IMHO, this only sets people up for excuses & relapse!

It's complete BS to have this mindset.

That's not why we say "keep coming back". We say "keep coming back" so people participate in their sobriety & stay involved in a program.

No excuses. Don't use or drink. It didn't work. That's why we are here.

Get & stay involved in some sort of formal program. This "do it on your own" crap promotes relapse and misery.
Old 01-19-2006, 02:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That's not why we say "keep coming back". We say "keep coming back" so people participate in their sobriety & stay involved in a program.
Thank you OneDay...this forum is a cool place to come to as well as to stay sober.
Val
Old 01-19-2006, 02:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

A relapse can be a good thing in recovery. every time I see someone go back out and come back, I say to myself, I don't want to be that guy!!!!!!

The thing that's stuck with me all these years is, I know I have a relapse in me, do I have another recovery in me???
Old 01-19-2006, 02:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

relapse is "not" a prerequisite of recovery, "untill" you surrender, get honest, get a sponsor and get to "work" partaking in a recovery program with other recovering addicts you will contiue to do what addicts do "get" high!!

j.h
Old 01-19-2006, 02:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Dan

It was part of mine.
No ********.
My recovery today is stronger because of it.

So, the question is moot, really.
What I would ask is Is relapse a recovery killer?
And my es&h on the subject would be a resounding no
Old 01-19-2006, 03:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Living and Loving.

Relapse.

I think what would be more ruinous than a relapse... would be to fall and not come back at all.

The best thing an addict or a alcoholic can do, in my mind, is to never stop trying. I know that there is the really cute quote of "There is no try... there is only do" and I love it too. But you gotta keep trying until you get to the place where you "do" if that's the mode you are in and not fully ready to "do".

It is kind of the all encompassing caveat... you have the power to try again. Unless you are dead, of course, and then the problem has been permanently solved anyway. We all hope that it doesn't end that way. So, I'm a big fan of practice makes for a higher chance of succeeding. I guess it's all in your own desire and intentions and interpretations.

Okay enough mental spewing from me.

Suga
Old 01-19-2006, 03:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Still learning; ever grateful

Originally Posted by Sugasnaps
Relapse.

I think what would be more ruinous than a relapse... would be to fall and not come back at all.

The best thing an addict or a alcoholic can do, in my mind, is to never stop trying. .....

Okay enough mental spewing from me.

Suga
Amen, Suga. Aint nuthin' mental about that. My sentiments exactly.
Old 01-19-2006, 03:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Cruelty-Free

My take's always been that relapse is a part of the disease, but not necessarily a part of recovery.

For some, relapse is essential to furthering growth. For others, it's the end of everything.
Old 01-19-2006, 03:38 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
I'm an addict.

Relapse is not a requirement for recovery.

Since I found NA last year, I haven't found it nessecary to relapse.

Here is a link to a whole chapter of the basic text related to this topic...http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...9&postcount=27

Relapse is a choice for me today, and I choose to not get loaded.
Old 01-19-2006, 03:59 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Dan

Is relapse part of recovery...
relapse is not a requirement for recovery...

Given that some of us on these forums and in the rooms have ten, twenty, thirty years of continuous sobriety, seems evident that the answer to the question above is of course not, and the comment on the second statement is no sh!t, Sherlock.
Originally Posted by Sugasnaps
"There is no try... there is only do" .
Yoda is sobriety
Old 01-19-2006, 04:07 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
I'm an addict.

Originally Posted by Dan
no sh!t, Sherlock.
Keep diggin, Watson!!!!! Sorry had to say that
Old 01-19-2006, 05:10 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
REZ

Remember, recovery and relapse are not just about using or not using drugs. A person can be drug free yet still very sick emotionally and spiritually, and not recovering. I, myself, have had many relapses into old behaviors, thought patterns, and attitudes, without using drugs. I think that if I had gotten back on the road to recovery, I would have gone further down and started using drugs. As the NA book says, a person relapses emotionally and spiritually long before they start using drugs again.
Old 01-19-2006, 08:17 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
raerob

Originally Posted by REZ
Remember, recovery and relapse are not just about using or not using drugs. A person can be drug free yet still very sick emotionally and spiritually, and not recovering. I, myself, have had many relapses into old behaviors, thought patterns, and attitudes, without using drugs. I think that if I had gotten back on the road to recovery, I would have gone further down and started using drugs. As the NA book says, a person relapses emotionally and spiritually long before they start using drugs again.
Couldn't agree more...I'm not a member of NA; but, as a recovering alcoholic, I believe even suggesting that relapse is a part of recovery is only a set-up for relapse.

I still remember how I felt many years ago when someone who hadn't seen me in the rooms for a while said, "Welcome back." I know the person meant well; but, I vehemently assured him I was not "coming back", since I hadn't been "back out" (I had simply been out of the area for a while)!!!

I know it's a matter of AA semantics; but, I'd much rather tell a person to "just keep coming"...it's much easier to keep coming, than to keep coming back. Besides, there is no guarantee of making it back, once you've gone back out!!!

Old 01-19-2006, 08:29 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

I think its a bit bit like the Egg and the Chicken, which came first?

Dunno but I will have two easy over on toast please
Old 01-20-2006, 09:56 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Good to hear many feel it's not necessary, can relate to the fact seeing people go out is a constant reminder of the pain!

Seems a lot of people use it as an excuse.
Old 01-20-2006, 10:22 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I have heard a lot of people share that had much sober time and relapsed, after that they found it hard to get a few days sober, scary stuff!

I really hope relapse is not part of my recovery, I nearly committed suicide on my last run, and I hear it doesn't get any better, don't know how much lower emotionally there is to go than that. Saying that though anyone I've met who relapsed takes the program alot more seriously now, by that I mean more active, daily meetings, speaking commitments etc there is learning by making mistakes

love, Rose
Old 01-20-2006, 11:12 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

As long as they in fact find their way back, yes.
Old 01-20-2006, 11:28 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Although, I've not had to relapse yet...it gives me a great deal of hope and faith to see those who have...
welcomed back with open arms instead of being shot on sight...
Old 01-20-2006, 12:44 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Chy

Just for today I can vehmently say no!
Old 01-20-2006, 03:49 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I slipped a few times and learned lots from it, more than if I had stayed clean, so yes I dare to say it was actually needed for my recovery.