Dry Drunk

Old 01-19-2006, 12:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
C's Sweetie

Smile Dry Drunk

I'm fairly new here, but I've "lurked" enough to know this has probably been addressed before, but I can't find it. Anyways, I'm dealing with a dry drunk. He's been forcibly sober for 10 months or so (he was in jail). Any advice or suggestions for dealing with Mr. Crankypants?
Old 01-19-2006, 02:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Texxie,
Mr. Crankypants! Too funny! I don't know very much about the "stop drinking" side of this whole thing. I guess it comes down to the fact that the behavior we dislike isn't always about the consumption of alcohol. A counselor once said that when an A starts drinking, their development is arrested. They do not continue to grow in learning how to cope with everyday life. So just because they aren't actually drinking doesn't mean that they've learned how to deal. Their emotional development does not match their age. Not sure on all of this, but that's what I've heard...
Old 01-19-2006, 04:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Tg, you heard it right. That is what they say, if we start to drink a lot at age 14, we stay at about age 14 with emotional coping skills. What I do not understand is, they can drink during college and become very skilled, knowledgeable and have excelent jobs, but are 14 years old emotionally?????Thats tricky. Or do they just pull the 14 year old tactics on we females???. (I don't know)
Well when we study the male brain we find even without alcohol they are not good with small talk, talk about feelings, talk about ideas, unless it is ball games, cars,cycles etc.So its a man thing too.

Texxie.. Love it "Crankypants" I think my A would have laughed with me had I called him that. He would have thought a neat remark.

Dry Drunks are those that put the plug in the jug, and think thats all it is. We so need to learn to live a whole new way of thinking, and reacting. A's have missed most of just everyday life and living. Can you imagine walking into this complicated rat race called living without having learned along the way. A's, that quit I believe white knuckle it, trying to not relapse.
Did you get the book "Under the influence", very good to answers lots of the why's like why isn't he well in 30 days etc.
Did you go to Google and type in dry drunk. Bet lots of info can be found there.
Take what you can use and leave the rest.