Notices

I'm new

Old 01-18-2006, 11:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Red face I'm new

Hello. Well I just found this page and I thought I'd give it a try. I'm a 36 y/o female and have had panic attacs and trouble with alcohol for 10 years. I'm a stay at home Mom so I have no work related problems. I have always managed my drinking and never let it interfere with my family life e.g. I never drink if I know I have to drive somewhere, and can control myself in company. I have been on Celexa, Lexapro (a hybrid of Celexa) and am currently on zoloft with an 'as needed' prescription of Klonopin. I also have anxiety based hypertension. I worry about my blood pressure...my Dr. does not. He has a point...it only goes way up when I'm stressed. Anyways, I moved to a small town a few years ago and still know very few people and thought I would write here and meet people who understand my problems and would like to talk.

Take care all, Tina

Last edited by Doug; 01-19-2006 at 02:48 AM.
Old 01-19-2006, 02:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
lost2long

Hi Tina, a warm welcome to Soberrecovery.

Wishing you the best on your recovery. I hope you realize drinking can become very progressive...you said you've had trouble with it for ten years, then said you can control it!!! Heed the warning, there may come a time when you won't be able to control it at all, it also may be contributing to your panic attacks being you're on medication, just a thought.

Lots to read here, you'll learn a lot here plus you'll soon find others like yourself. I've struggled with alcohol for a long time, it's a fact that it's progressive, and it's sneaky how that happens, you never know eh?

Take care.....Denise

Old 01-19-2006, 02:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Doug

Hi Tina and welcome to SoberRecovery. You'll find alot of support and understanding here, a lot of us can relate to where you are, having been there ourselves.

I editted you email addy out of your post for your privacy, as this is a very public message board. If you want to put it back, we can do that, thoguh it is recommended to share emails thru private messages, again just for your own privacy protection.

Once again welcome, and make your self at home!

Old 01-19-2006, 03:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Tina and welcome to this board. A wonderful board with helpful, supportive, understanding people.
Old 01-19-2006, 03:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to the board, Tina.
Old 01-19-2006, 04:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
they took my picture

Jump right in the waters fine!!!

~~Hi Tina, there are truly great things/resources here for rcovery, spirituality, selfexpression, and sef-impeovement. The people are very compassionate and caring. This site has truly helped alot I think because I have had alot bottle in and it comes out in strange ways. They have tolerated me so far ~

~ Everyone seems very honest too thats we are so great!!! oh yeah and humble. Really we are just trying to live one day at time.(I'm sorry), I'm just playing around and that really isn't fair because its a serious thing and we all take each others lives seriously here. ~

~ I am personally jost feeling down amd trying to lighten my mood so please don't mind me, I'm throwing a temper tantum, and I have never done it before (since baby) I dont know how to do it. WELCOME AND ENJOY ALL THE LOVE HERE AT WHAT I CALL THE LOVE STATION being clever like that ~

Bradley
Old 01-19-2006, 07:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi Tina....
You are mixing meds with alcohol? Very dangerous.
I suggest you speak with your doctor and be honest,

When I was sober 2/3 months my depression left and has not returned.
Why not see if sobriety alleviates your disorders?

Glad to see you here...
Old 01-19-2006, 07:37 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Tina! I to used to suffer from high blood pressure and panic attacks. I was always worried that I was gonna have a stroke or pass out in a public place due to a panic attack. I am learning to deal with my stress in more constructive ways like exercise, reading about my problem, and learning to take time to myself to calm down. I am in my 30s as well, and I know how scary it can be! I also have moved alot in the past,(6 cities in 5 years) so i know how stressful and lonely it can be to be in a new place. I wish you the best and hope to hear more from you!

Bd
Old 01-19-2006, 07:39 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Tina. Welcome! I also suffered from panic attacks. Once I stopped drinking, they went away.
Old 01-19-2006, 09:09 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR tina
We really do care and you will find help and support on this board to remain sober.
Susan
Old 01-19-2006, 10:56 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

promise, it works. I have personal experience.

www.stresscenter.com

Tom
Old 02-23-2006, 11:10 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

You all are so wonderfull. What a great site I stumbled upon. I'm on my way out the door but I wanted to tell you all thank you very much for all the kind words and advice.
Take Care, Tina
Old 02-24-2006, 02:45 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Tina:

Im a newbie too so Im in no posistion to try to help you but I want to welcome you and assure you everyone here is cool. You just have to be really honest, even if its not good. If you can do that, these are an awesome network of people that will get you well on your way to recovery. There is no true accountability here though so we have to be very honest or the board will be a waste of time.

But, as everyone here tells me daily, this board alone can only carry us so far. I waited too long to get in a program. I urge you to as soon as you commit to a change.

Dont wait a month into recovery and then go, why walk alone?

Welcome and stick around, it actually works.
Old 03-01-2006, 11:40 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks so much for your kind words and ecouragement. Hopefully they come in h
handy .
Old 03-01-2006, 11:42 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

What happens when my recovery doesnt work and I find myself half lit again...like right now am I kicked off the site?
Old 03-01-2006, 11:46 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thank you denise...but god its hard...there are so many things going on right now and so many excuses I could make....but I'm tired of drinking...the fun has stopped....you give me hope that it can be done thank you
Old 03-01-2006, 11:50 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hey beachbabe....you probably feel my pain more than anyone right now....thats only if the saying 'time heals all wounds' cause since we're the 'newbies' we are just starting out on a very long road. I quit many times before and conned myself that I could now control the alcohol....but each time the booze became stronger than me....I think each time you quit and fail...the next time is harder....but I have to believe its acheiveable. Thanks for you post....Tina
Old 03-01-2006, 11:52 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

To the rest I didnt write to...I read your post and they all give me inspiration and hope. Thank youn all for caring enough to write.
Old 03-02-2006, 04:10 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
We all need each other.

Originally Posted by tina122569
What happens when my recovery doesnt work and I find myself half lit again...like right now am I kicked off the site?
No, hon'. We wouldn't kick you off the board. If you are an alcoholic, drinking is what you do. The real miracle happens when you learn how to not drink. What sort of face-to-face support do you have? SR has been a wonderful addition to my program, but I could not have stayed sober without the f2f support of my AA groups. There are also quite a few other options available. Please feel free to ask questions!

Hang in there!
Old 03-02-2006, 10:55 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

alcoholism: cunning, baffling, powerful.

many consider those with less than 5 yrs sober to be newcomers.

that would be me too........who cares about that.

the person who woke up the earliest today has the most sobriety.

don't do it alone, it sucks.

get involved in a formal program, AA saved my life.

drop the ego, get some humility.

YOUR life depends on it. You won't regret it. My worst day sober beats any day drinking.......