I am so grateful!

Old 01-17-2006, 06:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Grateful Member!

I am so grateful!

As some of you know my husband went inpatient on 1/4. I went for a visit last Sunday and was less than enthused by his attitude but not defeated. I knew he was in a good place and he did know that he was where he needed to be.

What a difference a week makes! I met a man I don't ever remember meeting, and it was my husband. It was not one thing he said and not one thing he did, it was a culmination of kind words and even better, acts of kindness. Words and actions I haven't seen or heard for a long, long time and some I never would have believed could come from him.

No big promises, just good thought out ideas, a plan for a program, that won't run him ragged and stress him out. One that actually includes time for me to get out of the house and get to a f2f meeting for myself, time for me to work my program. I had some ideas and kept them to myself and he had come up with the same ones, himself, and with the help of his "friends" he cried when he told me he had friends. I met them, they are wonderful, beautiful people, my husbands new friends. We have even made plans to meet another couple for dinner in the city as soon as the guys are 'out' and settled.

There were no huge, dramatic apologies, just thoughtful jestures and kind words from someone who amazingly just might really, really realize the good life and wife he has been missing. I man who is anxious to come home and take care of his family, hug, love and wrestle with his children, yet grateful for one more week to continue to learn how to take care of himself, he said he was looking forward to working on his second step. He said he was worth it.

We had open, calm, productive communication for the first time in more then two years. I am filled with a lot of hope, for both of us, seperate and togeher. We are off to a good start.
Old 01-17-2006, 06:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

wow - that is so wonderful to hear and i'll bet you are just feeling such a relief right now. i pray that he will continue to heal himself and that you can continue you recovery. thanks for sharing this wonderful news!
Old 01-17-2006, 08:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

Sending prayers that your husband and your family continue along this new path.
Old 01-18-2006, 01:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That is fantastic!! I have always said that we are able to learn the subtle difference between quacking and genuine recovery efforts. I reckon you've made that leap! I learned to see the difference by going to some open AA meetings and hearing AA speakers share at conventions.

Good luck to both of you.