Notices

New here and 4th day sober in years!

Old 01-14-2006, 05:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Cool New here and 4th day sober in years!

I wanted to introduce myself and ask anyone of you to please post here if you want to give encouragemnt on the minute by minute ways to abstain as a newcomer.
I live on the Cote d'Azur in Antibes France where drinking is as popular as breathing EVERYBODY DRINKS here and a lot of it.
I am a freelance hair & make-up artiste, I do not work lots so I have a lot of free time alone while my partner works, I get very bored at times and its very easy to get on the glad rags and go out into the village and meet up with the local English etc and have a bottle or two of local ros'e and proceed to get pissed out of my head and make a right old ARSE out of myself ( I hope that doesnt offend ) I know it might sound like the life of riley in a way Cote d'Azur France! but its still alcohol weather its here or in a gutter in Atlantic City or a pub in Derbyshire trust me Iv done both I want my brain back! HELP

Last edited by Lynzi; 01-14-2006 at 05:18 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 01-14-2006, 05:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
1 bite&all resistance crumbles

Hi there Lynzi!

Sounds like a great lifestyle for most!

Why do you want to quit?

How is this seemingly REALLY cool way of life (French Riviera, AWESOME!) affecting you negatively?

Why do you think you need to quit?

Looking forward to hearing more of your story!

Love,
Cathy31
x
Old 01-14-2006, 05:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

(((((Lynzi))))))

Welcome to SR and we are really glad that you have found us. Yep it doesn't matter where or what you drink it is all the same and produces the same effect. We drink for the effect we are always chasing that first one. How we do it is just don't drink or use right now. We don't drink or use for today. Minutes turn into hours, hours turn into days, days into weeks and so on. Just don't drink right now and keep posting. There is a lot of support here I am sure that you will enjoy you stay here. I am sending a lot of good thoughts your way.

Love Vic
Old 01-14-2006, 05:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

Oh yeah by the way congradulations on your 4 days that is awesome I am almost to 10 months and it does get better it just takes time

Love Vic
Old 01-14-2006, 06:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Wow thanks for the replies!
The life here is pretty awesome as it has seasons which I missed being in Florida for many yrs.
I am originally from the UK but I couldnt deal with the cold its quite chilly here at the moment, the other reason is its located right on the ocean in a 12th Century Fort/Bastide with beaches shops restaurants BARS, fresh fruit/veg/spice/fish and flower markets daily, Monaco is 40mins away Cannes 20mins St Tropez not fa either so great for my kind of work ( I do a lot of weddings in summer ), you can see the snow capped alps over the ocean even in summer and the small cobbled streets of Old Town are very quaint BUT the booze is RIFE! I have never seen or met as many alcoholics per square inch in my entire life and I have travelled a LOT!
When I first arrived the beauty and charm of the place was captivating but now I have witnessed so many people's drinking getting out of control and the way that it affects there looks and health is VERY SCARY as I now see it in myself, I used to be a semi proffessional body builder, not as in Arnold but very good shape but alcohol and lack of self control and depression from "Im pretty darn sure caused by alcohol" is now "not so slowly" doing me in! I now realise the attraction was maybe I "fit in" to this alcoholic haven its a bit like the song Hotel Californi " You can check out but never leave" this place really does attract drinkers I suppose it may be because it has one of the largest luxury yacht marinas in the world and sailers have been known for centuries to be heavy boozers I dont know but this said I still feel compelled to help myself stop drinking like this and have the strength to live in the middle of this and win!
I have put on 20 pounds ( a stone and a half ) I feel lazy, hung over and tired 99% of the time exept when I really get on one then I might feel I can rule the world for let me think 3 hours at tops at the height of my drunken binge then the next 2 days are spent topping it up alone at home as I look so ruff as a bears ass I cant be bothered to get up till noon or later and dont get dressed or take a bath for 2 days when its been a bad few, its amazing for a person whose whole life and career have been about looks, health and fitness! I am not a vain unacaring bitch type person as I know you will come to find (as I am honoured to have been directed to this site by the grace of my need to get this part of my life sorted) I am though very creative and artistic and sensitive and have had an incredibley sometimes hard sometimes awesome life and now at 44 feel that alcohol has taken much more from me than it has given and I have personally had enough, I am also wanting to give another try to having a child through IVF and want to be in my best shape physically and mentally for that I cannot drink through that,BUT I aint GOD and I NEED help I have lots to offer also so Im not here to suck your blood Im here to heal and help others do the same thanks Cathy31 for telling me to tell "A little" about my story
All repies much appreciated Lynzi
Old 01-14-2006, 06:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

I too am 44 (pssst don't tell anyone in 5 days is my bday) and I have lost a lot from my addiction. I started out drinking at the age of 3 was my first drink. I then would drink once in awhile until the age of 10. From 10-15 whenever I could part I would. I ended up being a heavy IV user of meth. I drank and used to escape and I always did like the effect that it had. I noticed that you have done a lot of traveling as well that is awesome I love to travel just have never been out of the states. I wish I could have but now the wreckage of my past I can not do that.

Yes we are real people and I am glad that your here. Don't worry too much about the weight thing, it will be ok. I know when I quit using I could fit in a size 5 women pants they belonged to my secretary Today I am not that skinny LOL I almost weigh 190 lbs but it is healthy also. Anyway just want to thank you also for telling us more about you. Can not wait to get to know you better.

Love Vic
Old 01-14-2006, 07:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi

Thanks for your reply my birthday was 4 days after Christmas does that make you a Capricorn like me?
Well I have to say I have never done drugs that I became addicted to I tried cocaine a couple of times when I was in my 20's and have smoked a joint on occasion but not for years I dont know if my drinking is hereditary as my Father who I met twice was a wino who was in and out of jail!!?(ALCOHOL)
Thank God I do not have any kind of curiosity regarding drugs, Im not judging I just have a sumwhat addictive personality, but I am sure we have similar problems in the way of it being addictive.
The weight for me is VERY important Iv always been very into fitness it gives me self confidence and I feel a lot more in control when my body is in good form I am 5ft8 and weigh the top end of my weight range of 165lbs and I feel like C**p so that is something that is giving me the added desire to stop drinking as drink has tons of suger and empty calories makes you bloated and flabby and generally screws up your skin plus I want to be fit to try for a child before Im really too old... Its not going to be easy as I am a drinker but I wrote the pros and cons of drinking and NOT ONE true positive came up for me anymore for what I want for my life now so I really want this chapter to close and start being exited about new possibilities that said it aint gonna be easy!!1 day at a time to us all XX
Old 01-14-2006, 07:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

Originally Posted by Lynzi
Thanks for your reply my birthday was 4 days after Christmas does that make you a Capricorn like me?
Yep Capricorn here so we do really know each other very well huh!!?!!

I understand the heath thing but I do a lot of work and I try and stay in shape. I have heard in the rooms of AA this "If you are an alcoholic your an addict and if your an addict your an alcoholic because we do it for the same reason, we can not live life on life's terms." That seems to make sense to me. I know it is not easy but I also know that it is doable. I came from a $3,000 dollar a week addiction to nothing. I have never been to treatment, I go to AA, NA, and here at SR. I treat my disease everyday by doing this. I know that if I can do it Just For Today that anyone can. I have added you to my thought and prayer list also. There is a part in the NA Basic Text that says, "I will have faith in someone in NA who believes in me and wants to help me in my recovery." Well I believe in you and I have faith that together we can master this. Sending tons of good thoughts and prayers to you.

Love Vic
Old 01-14-2006, 08:11 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

That is really sweet of you and makes me feel great that someone cares and understands lots of good wishes to you too Vic Lynsey X
Old 01-14-2006, 08:17 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Getting Restored To Sanity

(((Lynzi)))

Well lynzi, you have all wonderful goals in mind. All can be attained with sobriety. I suggest you first work on setting up a new lifestyle of sobriety. I had to work on my addictions in order to heal my mental, physical, and spiritual self. I am still freshly healing. Your goals will come to pass. All becuase you are in drinking Mecca doesn't mean you can't stay stopped and live a clear and sober life there. You have experienced France drunk, now it is time to experience it sober and clear headed.

Welcome to SR and all the best in your road to recovery.

Rob
Old 01-14-2006, 08:21 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome Aboard..... thank you for sharing some of your story.
I was not into drugs either and felt safe with my alcohol.
It damn near killed me in the end...
I lived in a Ski Area for over 10 years and had a lifestyle that was alot about eating out and drinking with friends... unfortunately it evolved into a full blown addiction.
Looking forward to traveling down the sober road with ya!
Old 01-14-2006, 08:30 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

Originally Posted by Lynzi
That is really sweet of you and makes me feel great that someone cares and understands lots of good wishes to you too Vic Lynsey X
Yep that is HOW It Works, we do care and we do understand where you are and better than that where you can go, One Day At A Time!!! You are doing wonderful, stick close and if you ever need to talk you can PM me or I also have ***** and msn messenger next to my user name there OK..

Love Vic
Old 01-14-2006, 10:13 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome Lynzi
I am 2 days sober so you are 2 days ahead of me......WAY TO GO!!
I know all about the pub life in England as having been born and raised there, but have lived in California for the last 15yrs.
Susan
Old 01-14-2006, 10:25 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Lynzi! Welcome! Keep up the good work -- you will start to feel healthy soon and have tons of energy.
Old 01-14-2006, 11:18 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

Welcome the site

Not sure where on the planet earth drinkin isn't a mainstay

read the stories on here a lot of women in here will try to give you help

chris
Old 01-14-2006, 11:52 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanx you guys!

I love this place already!
I havent had a drink again t-day and I am really getting tired had soup and flavoured tea's with honey now a baked potato & veg with gravy!
Anything to lose weight & not think of drink!
Also a good book a friend lent to me that he says is quite riveting is the Davinci Code good way to keep occupied.
God bless you all and hope to chat again t-moro XXX !
Old 01-14-2006, 12:18 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

When I was a drinker...I found drinkers to be with.

In sobriety...I have sober friends.
Old 01-14-2006, 06:57 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Welcome to SR
Old 01-17-2006, 02:46 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thanks all for yo4r messages I am now on day 6 and doing fine feel 100% better and have lost a couple of pounds already, I dreamt of having a drink last night and the disapointment was terrible thank god it was a dream and today if I feel like a drink I will remember that dissapointment feeling and I know it will stop me.
I have to say though at the moment I really dont want anything to drink isnt that weird after drinking full on since my 20's although not as full on as in the last 8yrs or so.
I hope all of you are doing well ..just for today, it works! Love & light Lynzi XX
Old 01-17-2006, 03:54 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

hooray for day 6!!!! it isn't weird to have no desire for a drink. I was on a "pink cloud" when i first got into recovery. it wasn't until later that that old feeling came back. thank God i surrounded myself with people in recovery. i was told to remember my last drunk and how it felt. if you've forgotten your last drunk, then maybe you haven't had it yet, is what my sponsor told me. so any time i'm thinking drink (which fortunately isn't often anymore) i pull out my spiritual toolbox and remember what it was like out there.
davinci code is awesome!!!!!! i loved it. there's also a book called "angels and demons" by the same guy which rocks!!

love and prayers to you!!!!!
ladybug little