really bad day

Old 01-12-2006, 02:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

really bad day

I'm a little upset and a little unsure right now so if i tend to go on i apologize. I got a call about 2 Oclock or so at work from my sons counselor at school. She described it as a suicide poem. It described different ways to commit suicide such as takin pills, drinkin bleach, cutting himself with a knife, etc. She said that she was concerned. Which i can see why. My son who is 13, has had a variety of problems since i left his father when he was five and started working full time instead of the usual 20 hrs a week. He's been to a child psycologist who told me that he is a kid that knows how to play the system and that he need to be monitor 24hrs a day, which is impossible. What does he except me to do quit my job and go on welfare? I can't do that i have 2 other kids to take care of. He also told me hes gonna have his ups and downs just like alcoholics do. So I took it at that and have try to do my best with him, but sometimes he is just so hard to be around. I guess for the longest time I've been an enabler. I think it'll get better he'll grow out of it, expecially when he has a good day. Well anyways I decided that i need to face this problem head on and deal with it. I'm gonna call the psychologist tomorrow and make an appointment. It time to face the demons and try to deal with his or both of our problems. This time I know one thing im gonna try a different psyhcologist, one that has some actual answers to the questions. Anyways I know that ive been ramblin on and I thought maybe someone would have a word of wisdom for me. Oh yeh, by the way the suicide poem was a song. Who writes those kinds of songs anyways?
Old 01-12-2006, 05:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I occassionally enjoy writing songs about "giving up". I don't know why, it just kind of feels good to get those thoughts out of my system and into a form of expression. I'm not sure if that's healthy or not though.

Good luck in your situation.
Old 01-13-2006, 02:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

try finding an Al-ateen meeting for him.
Old 01-14-2006, 08:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for the advice. I dont know that alteen is a good program for him. I thought that was for teens of recovering acoholics or drug addicts. I'm neither. My parents are alcoholics my kids have never seen me drink in fact I only drink once ir twice a yr if at all. Thanks for the advice though. I called a child psychologist and he said that he doesnt deal with his kind of problems, but he is going to forward my name and number to a collegue of his that is suppose to give me a call back with in the next few days. so wish me luck.
Old 01-14-2006, 01:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by princess9282001
My parents are alcoholics .
bingo. one thing i have learned from this site and all the information on it is that the behavior is what gives us the sign that someone is suffering from the effects of alcoholism. alcoholism is known to skip a generation too- just like you did. however, there are all kinds of things we learned (such as our codependency issues) from people who did not necessarily pass down good coping tools- hence that is about all we had to cope with as well.

al-ateen is like an al-anon for teens. not for addicted teens, but for those who have been affected by alcoholism in some way. my kids benefit from it just to know better how to maintain a boundary when they get around their grandfather!

my sister and her spouse are not drinkers. her father (and mine) was though. and her family is sick with co-dependency. -as i am as well. there is a sticky about whether al-anon may be for you- that lists questions- she was shocked at how many she answered yes to- and now she is heading towards her first al-anon meeting.

i have found as i have learned better ways, i am able to pass them on to my kids, and we are all healing and thriving in the process. you could check out the friends and family section here to check that list. hope this helps.
Old 01-14-2006, 03:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Hello my name is Shana. This is just want I think and you can take it for what it is to you. I know writing for me about feeling down is a good way for me to get those feelings out. I also know that I wrote a poem once to seek help with something. Maybe your son does not know how to talk so he wrote that song. I write poems and I know that sometimes you write to release stuff but sometimes it is important to take this seriously I think. am only 20 so in no way I am a therophist but it is just my imput.

Shana
hang in there it will get better I will be praying for you and your son
Old 01-14-2006, 06:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

thanks to all

Thanks for the great imput ive learned alot from all of u. Escape Artist you taught me a bunch things that I didnt even know could be a possiblilty. I see things much clearer now and thank to all who listened to my ramblings on when I was truly having a bad day.