update

Old 01-12-2006, 02:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

update

Well my husband has checked himself into detox. I was very disturbed and disappointed to find out that in this area there no longer are any inpatient treatment programs. I was told that they evaporated after insurance companies decided to stop covering the treatment. So, he will only be there until probably Sunday. The only other time he sought out treatment he went to this same detox but we didn't have insurance. Once he detoxed they discharged him and that was it. No outpatient, no counseling, no nothing. At least this time we are insured and he will go straight into an outpatient treatment program. This program incorporates family into it, which I am very happy and hopeful about.

I have figured out a way to go on my out of town business trip this weekend. My wonderful brother in law, in-laws and neighbor are all chipping in to take care of my boys. I hope I'm doing the right thing in going. I feel as if I may be deserting my boys.

My husband will have to have another person pick him up after discharge. I won't get in until late Sunday and they will discharge him sooner. I have stuck to my guns regarding taking the car keys, credit cards, checks and all cash (that I know of). I believe my stance will be that as long as he participates actively in this outpatient program and doesn't drink then he can stay. I haven't discussed it yet with him. What do you all think? I know it's up to me but would like opinions.

Thanks for all your input in the last 24 hours.
Old 01-12-2006, 02:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Glad you found care for your children this weekend.
Outpatient should go well if he does the work.
My ex was in outpatient 3 times within a 15 month period
he is still drinking today...
so I am not in a position to sing outpatient praises
Good luck, I hope your husband is a success....
Old 01-12-2006, 02:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

If you do not mind me asking, my sister went to a great IOP program in Stark County; I see you are from Ohio,too (only 87 other counties..haha)
Old 01-12-2006, 02:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I believe Stark county is on the other side of the state. Thanks for asking though. It just seems to me that there aren't many options other than AA. Am I correct?
Old 01-12-2006, 03:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

There are several residential ones around here, but some have special requirements. Like one in Akron, is only for Summit County residents; Stark has their own,too.

Canton is in Stark County; does that help? (near Akron; about 50 miles south of Cleveland)

I know there is a residential in Newark (closer to Columbus) and a few others. We tried to get my AH to go to Brighton,MI that is close to the Toledo area...near Detroit.
Old 01-12-2006, 03:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

This good outpatient program my sister went thru was run by one of the local hospitals. I had my doubts, but I guess she was ready to do the work, and is doing well. She went inpatient and was released less than 2 weeks later...she relapsed soon afterward because she did not do to the follow-up. The outpatient had that "built in"; it operated in stages....it may even have had some residential options, I am not sure.
Old 01-12-2006, 03:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hello fellow Ohioan, and, if your nickname is literal, hello fellow teethgrinder too I wish I could just stop grinding my teeth in my sleep!

AA is always around and really is great. Sorry to hear there's no program, that sucks. But AA has been around for such a long time and I don't think it's going to be leaving. Support and help along the way from people who "know" is a great thing. For us too in Alanon.

((hugs)) I know it's frustrating and it is sad there's no program...
Old 01-12-2006, 06:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

OT--This site is full of us Buckeyes!!! (ever notice that?haha)
(Shana and I are even from the same town! and we have never even actually met,yet!)
Old 01-12-2006, 06:36 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

teethgrinder - glad you got the child care situation under control and can go out of town in peace!

BTW - another buckeye here (for real)!
Old 01-12-2006, 06:42 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Perhaps the dreary winter weather around here contributes to the amount of alcoholics roaming around.
Old 01-12-2006, 07:10 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I think it sounds like a fine plan. I hope he doesnt' drink. Yes, Sunday is a very short time. I don't think any insurance companies approve 30 day stays anymore at inpatient rehab centers. I know ours would only cover like 18 days of rehab I think.
Old 01-13-2006, 06:10 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

glad to hear you'll be able to go out of town. you need the break. and with him in detox you'll be able to rest a little i hope.
insurance sucks- criminals get better tratment than the regular joe that wants help.
we went through similar situation- 4 days medical detox- no follow up -, recovery and program up to addict??? my AH is sober (i think) 3 1/2 months dropped AA, ended counseling, not working any kind of program i think it's a matter of time before he picks up- been here done this! 3 times in detox, countless times in AA. never really wanted to deal with problems that lead to drinking or any issues for that matter.
in the end it comes down to the A and how much they want to get better, and how much work they're willing to put into it. only they can change them!
i think you have a great plan! stick to it and pray! put it in God's hands and your AH's. good luck
Old 01-13-2006, 01:53 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Glad you found help to watch your boys, count your blessings there! MY Inlaws all treat me awful as If I was the one making my A/AH take the pills. Plus 2 of the 3 brother in laws are big A's them themselves, so they wouldn't be reliable to help!
I bet your boys will be fine and have a good time! Hope you do too!

Best of Luck with all and keep us posted!
Stacey