Concern about a friend

Old 01-12-2006, 01:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Concern about a friend

I wrote a while back when my friend went through rehab. Sadly, she fell back off the wagon after a couple of months, but that isn't why I write.

She had been drinking vodka before, and now drinks wine (a dry red wine.) She also smokes.

I have noticed over the past couple of weeks that her teeth had started becoming dark. The lower 1/3 of them have become off color- and I am unsure if it is stain from the wine, from the cigarettes, or what. I am alarmed because I noticed it rather suddenly.

Is this indicative of any related health issues, or is this likely simply a stain from the wine. She seems to be consuming close to a bottle per day.
Old 01-12-2006, 05:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
How Important Is It?

I don't know the answer to the dental question. I do know that substances like coffee, tea, and cola can stain and damage teeth, though.

However, it seems to me that drinking a bottle of wine a day is a more pressing concern than stained teeth. Is your friend attending AA?
Old 01-13-2006, 03:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Alcohol is a cruel mistress!!!

Hi, wine can definately stain ur teeth and simple whitener can take care of it. As a nurse the only other thing that might do it are certain antibiotics. Try not to worry to much about her as she will do what she will do with her drinking. I had to learn that with a friend who has an eating disorder, I can love her but in the end it is out of my control. Let go and let God. Take Care,
Old 01-13-2006, 04:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for the replies.

I know I can't push her to recovery again, so I just pray she will find her way on her own. I was surprised she made it as far as she did, because her boyfriend dropped dead in front of her while walking 3 weeks after she was out of rehab, but she stayed dry then.

I was concerned because the staining came up rather quickly. I am guessing the volume of wine she is consuming is the reason for the rapid change.
Old 01-13-2006, 04:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
((( ONCE BITTEN, TWICE SHY )))

Hi,
sure coffee, wine, cigarettes, they all play a factor in dental hygene.
As a grateful recovering addict, in my experience, as the addiction progresses, which it will, I anyway, during drug/alcohol use, the only thing I cared about was where my next fix was coming from, hygene was not at the top of my priority list.
Once you make the decesion to jump on the sobriety bus, that hopefully changes.
But like there saying above me, looks are the least of the worries at this point.
If your not feeling good or doing the right things, naturally its going to affect everything in your life, including vanity.
First things first!! Thanks,
Jennifer
Old 01-13-2006, 08:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I say it's the wine too...I have a girlfriend from Ireland and she drinks red wine all the time and her teeth look like that...