Notices

New but not so new

Old 01-11-2006, 02:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Live Laugh Love

New but not so new

Hello All:
I've hopped on the Newbie Bus here before and then hopped off for awhile. I'm glad to be back.

I'm certainly not new to recovery..but then there are some days that feel I've NEVER heard the word recovery before.

My son is the addict in my life. He's going to be forty years old and has struggled with this disease since he was 15. I know there's not a darn thing I can do to help him. But before I learned this I almost went bankrupt trying...in every aspect of the word.

Blessings to all of you for being here. I hope to learn some new tools for coping....and bringing out and dusting off the ones I already have.

KathyF
Old 01-11-2006, 02:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
"The BAND" workshop ROCKS!

Hey Kathy,

Maybe hit the alanon or naranon areas. They are made for people like you who are coping with a loved one in the grips of addiction/alcoholism. Welcome back and I hope you can heal yourself. Your son will probably not begin to get better until HE is ready to. It's a good sign that you realize this today.

Best wishes to you both.
Old 01-11-2006, 05:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Live Laugh Love

Thanks roadie
I appreciate the welcome and I have been to alanon and naranon.

Blessings,
Old 01-11-2006, 07:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
raerob

Hi, Kathy! Sorry...I can offer no words of wisdom to you, since I'm in the same kind of situation...except my son (who lives with me) just turned 50. It isn't easy...not for us or for them...unless I'm ready/willing to put him out on his own. Until then, in my NA daughter's words, "It is what it is."

I must say the Serenity Prayer a dozen times a day...and, I log into SR to try to offer some ESH to newbies who are desperately trying to "get it"...we can only help those who want it. I don't think our sons are there yet, do you?

Old 01-11-2006, 01:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Kathy,

Welcome back!

You can find lots of support here, so keep posting.