Notices

Hello...

Old 01-08-2006, 05:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello...

New here, my wife and I really need to quit. We know that we have a problem, but have been unable to hang it up.
Old 01-08-2006, 05:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Otis. Welcome to SR. My name is Sherry and I am a recovering addict. Why not share a little about what's going on so we can share our experience strength and hope with you. You need not be alone, or do this alone. Do you have a problem with alcohol or drugs? Not that it makes a difference, there is no judging here. It will just help us give you the best suggestions.
Old 01-08-2006, 05:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Otis,

Welcome! You've come to a good place to find inspiration for quitting and support for staying clean/sober.
Old 01-08-2006, 06:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Dan

Welcome to SoberRecovery, Otis.
Lots of hooks on the walls here, where a lot of old ghosts hang, put away for good.
Keep coming back.
Old 01-08-2006, 06:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi.... I am an alcoholic in AA recovery....Welcome!
Old 01-08-2006, 07:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You
Two...
Welcome Aboard!
Old 01-08-2006, 07:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Ok, you asked for it....
I have been a big drinker since I was 16, I'm 44 now. I really don't want to go to deep, but in my circles, I am known around the world as a big partier. Over the last 5 or 6 years I have drug my wife down with me. Our (my) drinking has brought big problems over the last 3 years. I (we) need to quit...
Please help (us)
Old 01-08-2006, 08:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Otis. Glad you're here.

I was able to stop drinking many times on my own, but I always picked up again. AA is what helped me quit this last time and, more importantly, STAY stopped. I suggest you call your local AA hotline to talk with someone about your drinking and to find a meeting near you. You can also Google AA and your city and state for a list of meetings. My best advice is to give AA a try. It works for millions and it can work for you and your wife, too.
Old 01-09-2006, 07:45 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
they took my picture

Hi just a note too you. I don't know how too relate to what you are facing exactly but I feel for you. May this be a prayer too you as well.

First off, recognizing, acknowleging and accepting what is really true is the first step to making something right so you are doing good. You have done something good. Realize that too.

Turning to good and truth even if just in effort in my beliefs turns God on active mode in lives because you then become an instrument for him. Keep letting God now kyou want to ultimately help him out, he'll help with the pain thats too much to bear, he brings consolation truly!!!

The pain is real that you will feel, but don't be afraid... if you face it as God brings it you will in time find you don't want to hide from it which is usually why people use. Feeling the pain helps you grow and find joy eventually. This all may be too early though for consideration, stay safe and stable at first.

***put yourself in someone elses care if you can becasue its probably too much for you to do by yourself right now, do whatever you have too because this is a great opportunity having taken a step so you don't want to let such a couragous effort not be of value to you. Your life is precious, save it.

Peace and love to you
Bradley
Old 01-09-2006, 09:39 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Soberus Maxus

Hey Otis,
My wife already quit so Im busy chasing her around.
Im new here so I need some new sober friends
Old 01-09-2006, 09:54 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Otis,

I know exactly how you feel.....i have been drinking since i was 13 (now 37) and my husband and I have been drinking buddies for 20 years, but last year i admitted to myself that i was an alcoholic and asked my husband to quit drinking with me, which he gladly did, but after 45 days i relapsed (which gave him the ok to go back to drinking) and have been struggling ever since. Does your wife want to quit drinking or do you want her to quit drinking? My husband doesn't think my drinking is a problem (i guarantee if i were OUT drinking every night rather than at home drinking with him he'd have a different oppinion) so consequently i don't get the support i need at home. Keep posting and checking out what other people around here have to say.......they know what they're talking about.
Old 01-09-2006, 12:09 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
NA Rocks!

Hi there, Otis! So glad you're here! Please stick around and keep posting.