Notices

Hello, new here, 1st day trying to stay sober

Old 01-05-2006, 02:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello, new here, 1st day trying to stay sober

Hi, I'm an alcoholic. I'm 27 and have been drinking near 10 years. It's really slowed down my progress in life. So here I am again, trying to quit. This time however, I want to win. It's good to see a community here. Hope yall can help me.
Old 01-05-2006, 02:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi there Dizzy

Welcome to SR ! You have found a great place for support.

These people were a lifesaver to me in my early days of sobriety.

I chose AA as my method of recovery, and it has been wonderful for me.

You could try ringing your AA number there, and you would have f2f support as well as here online

I wish you well in your recovery, keep posting and reading

HUGX
Lee
Old 01-05-2006, 02:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Stronger every day!

Hi Dizzy, and welcome!!! Glad you found us!

I too am an alcoholic with a little over four months sober right now, and I started drinking when I was 15 (I'm 40 now). It CAN be done, if you want it.

Keep coming back, keep posting, and don't be afraid to ask questions! That's what helped me, and I found a TON of support here at SR. It's given me the courage to start trying face to face meetings, which I feel will help me too. There are meetings here just about every night, check out the online meetings forum towards the bottom of the front page for times.

There is also a good section with people's stories in it who have been clean and sober for more than a year...I found a lot of inspiration there too. Look around, and get comfy. You are in a good place here.
Old 01-05-2006, 02:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
ASH

Welcome Dizzy, glad your here. SR is a great place for information and support.
Congratulations on your decision to quit drinking, it's a good one
Old 01-05-2006, 02:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks guys. I'm really scared. I know how rough it can be to even fall asleep without a drink. And the shakes suck. This time I have to be strong. I'm glad I found this place with people who know and have experienced the same troubles.
Old 01-05-2006, 02:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Check this out please...in the forum Alcoholism...
"Quitting" is the top sticky.

Good to see you....Welcome!
Old 01-05-2006, 02:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome Dizzy, the shakes do suck. Lots of water, vitamin C, and B and maybe some gatorade or something similar can help. Falling asleep can be touble too, but my Dr. told me to just ride it out, maybe 2 or 3 nights, and you should be back on track. Especially at your age. Don't forget to eat. That has always been a problem for me. Good luck sweetie.
Old 01-05-2006, 02:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
ASH

What to expect

If you have not seen it yet, you may want to check out Quitting, What to Expect" over on the Alcoholism Board, lots of good info!
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...t-47857-8.html
Old 01-05-2006, 02:36 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

Are you willing to give AA a try?

The reason many of us are able to stop drinking is thru the support of AA.

Quitting drinking wasn't that hard. The hard part was becoming a decent human being.
The best thing I heard over the past year was, "I didn't cheat and steal cause I drank, I drank because I cheated and stole."

Sober Recovery is helpful by staying connected to other alcoholics while not in a meeting.

Let me guess, all your buddies drink? This is the hard part. To be able to change your life style, you have to give up your cruddy buddies. Anyone that doesn't have my best interest at heart, I no longer hang around with.

Everyone in here is a winner as long as they're playing. The only way you're a loser is when you give up!!!
Old 01-05-2006, 02:41 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It's been hard these 3 weeks cause I have had a break from my classes. I knew it would be a battle and something stupid would be something I did. I am willing to go to AA meetings. There is one here on Saturday. I live in a small city so there are not many AA places. I have to drive about 15 miles to the nearest AA meeting. I think I will go and admit how helpless I truley am.
Old 01-05-2006, 02:47 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

I admire you for making this decision on your own. A lot of us get to where we are because our lives were so out of control we were forced to.

With any kind of luck, you'll make good friends in AA like so many of us have.
Old 01-05-2006, 02:52 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Dan

Recipe for Success.
*Some courage to get through withdrawal.
*Asking for help.
*Hope and faith in your human spirit.

Welcome to SoberRecovery, dizzy.
Old 01-05-2006, 02:53 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Well, I am scared my life will go out of control. I've already had 1 DUI and often wonder if I lost my job due to drinking as well. I know my projects could be much better if I stopped drinking, and I have not had a girlfriend in 3 years. It's this bottle. I will report here when I get off of work. That's the real challenge. Driving by the liquor store, and trying to ignore it.
Old 01-05-2006, 02:56 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Dan

Go home another way.
Even if it takes you half an hour more to get home.
Small steps...
Old 01-05-2006, 02:57 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Great idea. Thanks.
Old 01-05-2006, 04:09 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Well, at work now. Feeling a little light headed. Have somewhat of the shakes. Hope I can calm down. Drinking alot of water.
Old 01-05-2006, 06:19 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome Dizzy,

I recently got sober too, 95 days, and its hard to break old habits, I found the first 10 days extremely difficult, as suggested previously drive home a different route. I had trouble walking past a bar at the start, but it gets easier.

Drink lots and lots of water, eat too, it'll help you sleep and lessen your cravings for alcohol, chocolate is good, but not too much before bed, the caffene etc..

I found AA to be great support, it'll get you out of your own head for a while, take your mind off what you might be doing on your own, it also helps to meet people going through the same stuff.

Hope you stick around, love, Rose
Old 01-05-2006, 06:23 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Welcome and good luck to you. You can do this--there are many here with the wisdom to help you. I have almost one month sober and I'm feeling much better. Don't expect much sleep the first few days to a week. But it does get better. I love being able to remember my dreams now.

Take care of yourself.
Old 01-05-2006, 09:28 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thanks guys. I didn't stop at the liquor store. I came home and here I am with my DS and the TV. Here's to hoping I can get atleast 5 hours of sleep tonight. This forum is great, and yall have given me some more strength!
Old 01-05-2006, 09:55 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

welcome Dizzy congrats one taking the first step to a great life at least for me my life is just beginning. I am coming up on 7 months and it does get easier with time, yes you will have some bad days but that is life. You have found a great place for support, the people here are great, I couldnt of done it without them.