Notices

My malnutritioned body

Old 01-05-2006, 03:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile My malnutritioned body

Hello All,

Well Im here again... at the beginning. Im trying to set myself up for success this time around and I have some questions. It has only been 3 days for me so far but Im curious what kinds of foods I should try to supplement my cravings for alcohol with. Also, are there some foods that my body may require since Ive been drunk everyday for almost 6 months? Ive started taking vitamins again, calcium and vitamin C, but do you have any other pointers for me? Thanks for your help and its good to be back. ~hurri
Old 01-05-2006, 03:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
((( ONCE BITTEN, TWICE SHY )))

Hey Phoenix,
First of all, congrats on the three days.---- and dont say ONLY three days, hey the first twent four hours is the hardest. Three days is as valid as three years!
---ok--- your question was on food, well im not a nutritionist, im just a recovering alcoholic/addict. The vitamins are a good idea. If your coming off alcohol, your probablly craving sweets. ( thats how it was for me anyway ), my therapist told me it was because there is alot of sugar in alcohol, and when your body is used to all that sugar ( alcohol ), of course thats what your going to crave. ---- try something sweet, and maybe that will take some of the craving away. Also, what made me feel better, and it sounds kinda gross, was orange juice with a little bit of honey. Remember, your body is yours, and god only gave you one,so cherish it and take care of it.
I hope those suggestions helped phoenix. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK !!!!!
Thanks, Jennifer (( roses2005 ))

P.S im also graduating nursing school in about three and ahalf months
and some of those suggestions DID come from knowledge!
Old 01-05-2006, 04:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I suggest you check out

<TT>Hypoglycemia...</TT>
<TT></TT>
<TT></TT>
<TT>Goodle and follow that eating plan.</TT>
<TT></TT>
<TT></TT>
<TT></TT>
<TT>I did it for 6 months or so when I sobered up.</TT>
<TT></TT>
<TT></TT>
<TT></TT>
<TT></TT>
<TT>Good for you....3 days...Super! </TT><TT></TT>
<TT></TT>
Old 01-05-2006, 08:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Learning as I go

I craved bananas and milk, I hate milk! I think that eating healthy was what was best for me and not letting myself get too hungry. That was the advice that I got and I can feel that I am healthier now.
Old 01-05-2006, 10:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I drank tons of water when I firts stop drinking and I ate alot. When I was drinking I wouldnt eat much all I wanted was the beer but since then I am eating alot, I have gained over 30 pounds since I quit. I also exercised alot at first too. Now I eat fairly healthy foods alot of veggies and not so much fatty foods. Congrats on 3 days.
Old 01-05-2006, 10:28 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Support our Troops.

The following is a repost, however it is still valid info.

My comments below are exactly that, comments. I am not a doctor, therapist, or counselor. I have no medical, or psychological training whatsoever. I am a former addict with a desire to help others, nothing more.

At the risk of making it sound too easy, eat well balanced meals, cooked at home. Vegetables, cheese, bread, meat, and fruit for dessert and snacks. Stay away from pre-packaged foods, soft drinks and all fast foods. I drink iced tea that I brew myself. I limit myself to two cups of coffee a day.

Read the labels of the all the foods that you buy. Stay away from any type of hydrogenated fats, partially or otherwise. Any type of fat that gets firm when it is cooled is not the greatest. Believe it or not most all of the Frito-Lay products are cooked in oil, not partially hydrogenated fats.

Olive or canola oil instead of vegetable shortening for deep frying, or sautéing. Flavored olive oil instead of butter on bread. You can take a good multi-vitamin once a day, but in my opinion you are better off getting what you need from your food.

If you smoke cigarettes, quit.

As the old saying goes, garbage in garbage out. Or better yet, you are what you eat.
Old 01-05-2006, 02:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for your input. I find I've been craving salt and then sometimes candy. Nothing will curb that insane desire for booze. I was eating everything in sight last night to keep from going to the liquor store before it closed at 2am. Also, I cant sleep. I figure this must be normal, but it sucks. Ive bought tons of bottled water to have a bottle to hold onto lol. Thanks again for your support! ~hurri
Old 01-05-2006, 02:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
ASH

Originally Posted by huricanephoenix
I was eating everything in sight last night to keep from going to the liquor store before it closed at 2am. ~hurri
Good for you, eating works for me too, food is a real buzz kill! The water helps too.
Glad your back, and three days is great, deep going and keep posting!
Old 01-05-2006, 02:44 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Three days for you Hurri, great job. I had 68 days and blew it. If I could just get those three days back, I will never blow it again. Keep on going. The sleeping thing really does stink, but you should be better soon. Try a little warm milk before bed, unless you are lactose intolerate and it makes you sick. My advise is do not under any circumstances take any sleep meds. I made that mistake and regret it. Best of luck to you.
Old 01-05-2006, 03:44 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Well I know that drinking non-stop for months or years leaves your body at a dangerously low potassium level. Maybe the banana cravings have something to do with that. I drank everyday for about 16 years. The last three years or so, I drank about a gallon of whiskey a day and a couple of 40 oz of beer. Needless to say, I was at deaths door. When I quit, I did it through a treatment center. I started taking a multi-vitamin daily and still do two years later. I also got a gym membership and have gone everyday since then as well. My health has skyrocketed up. I eat alot of chicken, lean meats, milk, coffee ........water, lots of water, fruits and veggies. I stay away from fast food as much as I can. Other than that, its not a totally REVAMPED diet really.