Haven't been here for awhile

Old 01-04-2006, 12:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Haven't been here for awhile

Hi everyone. I haven't been here for awhile and I've missed you guys. I hope everyone had a great Christmas and will have a New Year full of hope and fulfilled expectations. I see a lot of new names. I've started counseling with a wonderful counselor and we are working on "me". Yes, this is all about me. I had to move my father into a nursing home since he was evicted from his apartment and that has been pretty hard on him. I will be picking my mom up from the hospital later today. She has COPD and got bronchitis. So the drama is still in my life but I am optimistic about counseling. I have even made reservations for my sister and me to go on a Girls Weekend in March to Lancaster PA. where we will be shopping, going to a spa, shopping and did I mention shopping. That was a big step for me since in over 10 years AH and I have never spent a night apart. AH is still drinking just as much but it's not about him anymore. At first he didn't understand the counseling thing. He said, "the first thing your counselor will do is tell you to leave me". I set him straight by saying "that's where you're wrong, this has nothing to do with you". Of course my copay for my insurance is $30 a visit but the upside to that is I get reimbursed at the end of the year for all copays up to $500. I am still on Prozac and that has helped me tremendously. I was very depressed a couple of months ago. The people at work have even remarked that I am like my old self again. My counselor gives me little assignments to work on and I have had quite a few "lightbulb" moments. I am realizing just how much impact my childhood has had on my codependency. I know I have a long way to go in my own recovery but at least I have someone I feel comfortable talking to about my issues. I have you guys to thank for that since the replies in one of my posts recommended counseling. Thanks to everyone and I am going to try to post more now that I'm not so depressed.
Old 01-04-2006, 02:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

so nice to hear from you,and more so to hear how well you are doing!! i wish so much more of the same in the new year for you!!
Old 01-04-2006, 03:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good to see you back (and your cute doggie!)
So glad to see that you are working on you and taking care of yourself.
A Happy New Year to you
Old 01-04-2006, 04:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Welcome Home!
Old 01-04-2006, 04:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

glad you are back and feeling better. your trip sounds absolutely wonderful! hope to hear lots of good posts about your counseling - glad you found someone who you can work with and like!
Old 01-04-2006, 06:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Alcohol is a cruel mistress!!!

Hi, Good to see you are back and doing really well!! It sounds like you are well on your way to recovery! Don't go awol again, we all need your input!!
Old 01-05-2006, 06:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for your kind replies. I know that everything in my life is never going to be all roses but at least I have hope that at 45 I can still maybe find some sense of normalcy for me. Something else I did that I've always wanted to do is I signed up for a class in Richmond VA. It's a group calls EARS (Emergency Animal Response) and it teaches you how to rescue animals in emergency situations like floods. I told AH that when I go to the class he can go with me or I'll just go by myself. I've never been that far away from home alone. Thanks again everyone.
Old 01-06-2006, 08:07 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Just wanted to say welcome back and don't stay away so long....