blah....home until sun again

Old 01-03-2006, 07:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

blah....home until sun again

I am thinking I should probably go back to counceling...I am not positive I like my councelor but I have not been to many sessions with him..I really liked the councelor I had in Warren but now that I am going to school in Bowling Green I have to rely on the councelors the campus has to offer :[...I dunno or maybe I was just freaked out because it was alot of things to deal with that I just was not ready to deal with yet.. I guess I never knew how overly critical I am of myself and I am noticed that I am never really satisfied with the way I look... my younger cousin pointed out that we both have a tendency of picking out little imperfections and amplfying them by a hundred. I have always been overly obsessive with my weight and how I look and I have noticed that on the message boards that alot of children of alcoholics have problems with eating disorders..why is that and when is it actually considered a problem.. I dunno if I actually suffer from an eating disorder ...I mean I do obsess about my weight alot but I only puke when I feel I have eaten too much or feel guilty about eating too much... I still have not found any al anon listings in my area in BG I looked in the phone book and there was no number listed for al anon so that frustrated me... I guess I will have to look online ...if anyone knows where I can find a listing please let me know...O well I guess I am done analyzing myself..I did notice when I was back in BG for a couple days though I was alot happier...now that im home again I feel like Im gonna barf..o well going back on Sunday that is good...my aunt told me to tell my mother I was not going to come back to the house until she was serious about getting help.. and actually sticking to it...I have no idea if that is a good idea...plus I feel guilty about doing that what if that makes her worse..I feel just me going to school has made her drink more..plus my dad and I are really close and I feel guilty leaving him in that situation...so I have no idea what to do about that..alright im rambling..im out
Old 01-04-2006, 01:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Freak, no Leash

afternoon cali!

Your counselor might be able to help you find a group in your area - I asked mine about it and she went right to work. By our next meeting, she had made a litany of phone calls only to find out that there's no ACoA groups in my area. I'd start there first

I didn't like my counselor at first either. I felt like she wasn't listening to me, but we were still in that "get to know you" stage, so after a few more meetings I got comfortable with her. I've been seeing her now for 10 years. I think it helps that she's around my age, and we've kinda gotten to be friends in a weird way.. if she wasn't my counselor, no doubt if our paths had crossed we'd be good friends.

What I remember about bulimia is that it's cycles of binge eating followed by attempts to purge what you just ate. Bulimics also usually maintain their normal weight. Binges are done on the sneak tip (eating when no one is home, etc.), and afterwards, you feel ashamed, like your eating binge was out of control, and that's when the vomiting happens. You said that you usually do it when you've overeaten, but I'm concerned because you factored in guilt, also. Sounds like you might have a bit of an eating disorder. I only say that because I developed one after having gastric bypass surgery... and that's the first time I've ever admitted it. Weird. Anyway... you can ruin your teeth, your throat, and you could rupture blood vessels in your neck, and in extreme cases, have a stroke. You're too young for any of those issues, so I hope you talk to someone about that who can help you.

I hope your mom gets the help she needs, but more than that, I hope you do. Getting the alcoholic in the family under control shouldn't be resting on your shoulders. You work on you first - I know, easier said than done. But try.. you're worth it.
Old 01-04-2006, 07:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

If you puke after eating for any reason other than food poisoning, you have an eating disorder. If you obsess about your weight and you puke after eating, that's a problem. Your weight might not be a problem but your attitude towards it sure is.

If you're in a college town there must be AA and Al Anon meetings. Your campus health center should be able to help find them, or will even host some. Also online.

If you don't like your counselor that might be a sign that she's doing you good. Change is uncomfortable. Don't expect to hit it off right away.

Guilt doesn't do anyone any good. It's used to control you and get you to do things you know are not good for you - like staying in a bad situation. Your parents are adults. They don't need you to take care of them. That's a perversion of the normal order of things - parents are supposed to take care of their children, not the other way around! until the kids are adults. Even if your parents were unable to take care of you the way they should have, that's no reason to reverse the roles.

Your aunt has an excellent idea. Listen to her and do what she suggests!

Sounds like you're new to this college. A very stressful time for you. Don't take the weight of the world on your shoulders. Just take care of yourself and try to enjoy your time at college - it can be a lot of fun, even though it's stressful, but it's over so quickly.