Rehab?

Old 01-01-2003, 10:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Paused

Rehab?

I am wondering if Rehab is the only way....my husband doesnt drink every day - and can go two weeks/three weeks or even longer without a drink, I have always thought it was always in his mind - the kind of addiction where you THINK you have to have alcohol - but you chemically dont NEED it every day. I guess it's one of the many types of alcoholics????
Anyhow, he's tried the antabuse back in 2000 (spit it out), AA meetings on and off (cant seem to stay committed to going), and he thinks that the only thing left is a detox - well my question here is does he NEED a detox?!? I mean, like I said, he detoxes himself - but everytime he is drunk he starts this "I need to be locked up, but we dont have the money and wont ever" basically I think he is just saying that crap to tell me there's no way he can quit because he "cant" and he is too helpless - poor him lets have a PITY PARTY! (can ya see I am a tad ill with his ways ) Question - would rehab do any good for someone who wasnt in need of a detox - and does it cost the thousand and thousands of dollars that he claims it costs and is it true that insurance wont pay it?
Thanks!
Old 01-01-2003, 11:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Morning Glory

Amy,

There are free drug treatment facilities. I think detox is different than rehab. Detox usually lasts about 7 days and then they move from there to a program.

If he's not wanting it for himself and not ready to do what it takes it won't help to try and force him into it.

My son went to detox and a 60 day program and drank the first day out. He wasn't ready. There are loved ones here that have been in rehab several times and haven't found recovery yet. Rehab is a tool, not a cure.

I believe there are free programs in every state.

Hugs,
MG

Old 01-01-2003, 07:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Paused

Amy Leigh,

My husband was acting the same way as yours at one point. Every excuse in the book to NOT go to rehab. He too tried antabuse (which I think is worthless) and just never took it when he wanted to drink. Although he made it sound like such a great thing(just trying to appease me I'm sure). After I took our kids and left him he admitted himself to a rehab facility. You don't have to go through detox to be admitted. It you go into a rehab center to be checked in and you are intoxicated they will put you through
Old 01-02-2003, 03:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Paused

Amy Leigh, Hope you are doing well this morning. Just wanted you to know that you are not alone.
My husband acts a lot like yours. He too can go for long periods of time without drinking ... or at least he can go for long periods of time without me knowing he is drinking.
He too has his excuses for not entering the rehab center ... mostly because he says he might lose his job if they knew he had a drinking problem ... but hey he might lose his job if he continues to drink right? But get him to see that ...

The best advice I can give to you is this: Try to keep yourself sane and if he chooses to follow the path to sanity then it is him.
If not, then at least you will be in good shape.
Going to Al-Anon meetings, reading Al-Anon materials, and just being here with these wonderful people has been a real blessing to me.
I have only been here a short time but already I feel calmer, and more able to deal with the stuff that comes my way.

Take Care Sweetie and keep coming back,
Sealy :kisshug:
Old 01-02-2003, 05:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Paused

Like the others have said, the key to him being free is WANTING to be free. Antabuse is a tool, just like rehab and AA. None of them worked for my husband until he dearly wanted to stop. He required medical detox because he was having severe withdrawals. He used antabuse for the first 30 days sober to help him keep his committment to not drink. He used AA when needed, but never fully accepted the program or got a sponsor. He got sober the hard way, but he did it.

Al anon is a great resource for YOU. It will help you focus on yourself regardless of his choices. Nothing about this disease is any fun and my heart aches for you because I know where you are and without Al anon I was left feeling *very* alone. *HUGS*
Old 01-02-2003, 12:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Paused

Thank you ladies!!!!!
I really appreciate all of your input and help!
:beerchug: HA! Just kidding!
(Sometimes I am overwhelmed with sarcasm )
Old 01-02-2003, 12:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Paused

Hi Amy Leigh, Guess what?
I just noticed that you are in B'ham ... I lived in that area for most of my life ... have you ever heard of a town called Pell City?
If so I spent the first 33 years of my life there ... LOL.
It is good to see someone from down home on the site.
Welcome and take care of yourself,
Sending you a Great Big Alabama Girlfriend Hug

Sealy,

:beerchug: :uzi:
Old 01-02-2003, 12:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Paused

OOPS

My picture did not quite work right .. I had meant for it to look like the uzi was busting the beer glass ...
Sealy
Old 01-02-2003, 06:02 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Paused

Amy,

For some reason, half of my reply to you got cut off. Anyways, I was telling you that they wont admit you to rehab if you're intoxicated. They will put you through detox first because they want you cleaned out before rehab begins. If you admit yourself sober then that's that. Also, our insurance covered all but $250. You might want to call your plan and find out. That would eliminate that excuse for him! But just as everyone says, if he doesn't want to do it it will not work. My A went through for me he says. I had left and he wanted me back. Needless to say, he was right back where he started one week out of rehab. Good luck to you...
Old 01-03-2003, 05:20 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I bought a Hazelden book yesterday, actually two books in one: Addictive Thinking and the Addictive Personality, it sheds a new light on the concept of "time" that may be relevant here.

live