Drug to treat alcoholism

Old 12-28-2005, 06:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Drug to treat alcoholism

http://money.cnn.com/2005/12/28/news...reut/index.htm

Whoa! That's gonna be interesting...
Old 12-28-2005, 06:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

it's funny being in recovery...I'm finding out that drinking wasn't my problem. It was a symptom of my disease. Until I found out what the core of my problem was (and I was completely stunned that "I" was the problem), no drug could or can or would or will help me with that. I had to work the steps, find a HP, use a sponsor, and fill that void with love and service because the alcohol wasn't filling it no more.

It's been said that "I've come to AA cause of my drinking, but I stay because of my thinking!"
Old 12-28-2005, 07:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

There are several on the market now, like antabuse, naltrexone, camprel. They said this is an injectable form of naltrexone. Wonder how it differs from the pills of naltrexone already on the market. For some it works and others these drugs do nothing.
Old 12-28-2005, 09:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Injected once a month, that way they can't not take the pill. So it is there for a month. Fine if they go back for next months shot or do it themselves. Will they??
Old 12-28-2005, 10:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
once in a . . .

funny - medical science just cannot accept that the *disease* of alcoholism cannot be "fixed" by medical science + it's drugs -

or is that *sad*?
Old 12-29-2005, 03:29 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My AH has taken drugs to reduce the cravings, I don't think they have worked that well. I know a lot of his cravings are the worst when he is manic. When he had a period of stability with teh bipolar, he never wanted alcohol.
Old 12-29-2005, 03:49 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BlueMoon
medical science just cannot accept that the *disease* of alcoholism cannot be "fixed" by medical science
They are barking up the wrong tree, imho. But I would love to be proved wrong.
Old 12-29-2005, 04:00 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BlueMoon
funny - medical science just cannot accept that the *disease* of alcoholism cannot be "fixed" by medical science + it's drugs -

or is that *sad*?
Can you imagine if medical science had given up on all the things historically it's struggled with? All the things at one time it couldn't fix?

I bless their tenacity and hours of work, for every heart transplant, cataract operation, cancer treated, antibiotic, and all the countless things brought about by their work.

Wrong or right let them remain stubbornly seeking answers. They are people too, often taking great risks with their careers to try something new, all of them had one thing in common - they studied and worked for years to be able to help and heal - I personally can't equal that in what I've achieved with my life or effort.

Meanwhile the human belief in getting well and desire to do so has played a huge part in every aspect of medicine and will continue to do so.
Old 12-29-2005, 05:05 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Getting busy living!

It's like anything else out there to help you overcome an addiction (ie. nicotine patch, gum, etc), it's to help you get over the hump but the desire to quit has got to be there first. Without that none of these "helpers" will work.
Old 12-29-2005, 07:50 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

oops
Old 12-29-2005, 07:55 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

I find it funny really. You see I LOVED ALCOHOL. I loved what it DID TO ME, WHAT IT DID FOR ME, THE TASTE AND THE SMELL. And I know many alkies that were and are like that.

I have been asked over the years wouldn't I take something if it allowed me to drink "normally"? My answer always was and is "What would be the point?"

R O F L M A O

Drinking is a lot more than "just the cravings". By the time the "cravings" set in the person usually has been drinking alcoholically for some time. The ALCOHOL is but a SYMPTOM of much deeper PROBLEMS.

So I wish the drug companies well!!! However, I doubt if this drug anymore than others that have come before it will be the "solution."

JMHO

Love and (((((to all))))),
Old 12-29-2005, 07:58 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

It is a band-aid really.....I agree with Mike....it goes much deeper than just a
craving for alcohol.
My ex took several of the drugs already on the market and still drank...until
he is ready to fix "John" nothing will help the drinking aspect of the disease.
Everyone keeps a box of band-aids in the medicine cabinet, don't they?????
Old 12-29-2005, 09:25 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

These drugs are just helpers to help people get thru the detox period. Just like there are nicotene patches to help you get over smoking.
Old 12-29-2005, 10:51 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
once in a . . .

ALL excellent points!

But - isn't the hell of going thru detox part of what potentially helps an alcoholic *remember* s/he doesn't want to pick up again??? I know the negative consequences of *my* drinking has done that for me - - -
Old 12-29-2005, 10:55 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hey BlueMoon....my ex went thru Detox 20 times in a 15 month time frame....don't ya' think someone would (should) "remember" that!!!!!
Completely amazed me how much he suffered each and every time, only to go back out there and do it all over again....
Old 12-29-2005, 11:32 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
once in a . . .

Patty - yeah - it has always amazed me what some people can 'tolerate' (for lack of a better word). Some just have a higher tolerance for *pain* - and so have a lower 'bottom'.

I'm AA as well as Al-anon - and it just occurs to me - that really goes for the alcoholic as well as the A's friends/family.
We all have our own personal "bottom of the pit" that gets us willing to do WHATEVER it takes to not be there again.

My AH (soon-to-be-X) - struggled with his sobriety. It simply dumbfounded me - EVERY TIME HE DRANK, HE ENDED UP IN JAIL. (I *never* bailed him out)
I'd sit there and think "WHAT'S the friggin' question!"

It REALLY seems to me that a drug to treat alcoholism is barking up the wrong tree. It implies a "quick fix" and I don't think that really exists for ANYthing.

(heavy sighs) oh well -

Blessings,
Blue
Old 12-29-2005, 11:39 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Yes I think the pill is a quick fix.....My feeling is if the Alcoholic starts taking this
pill and believes it is the answer to their problem, they won't do any of the work
that goes along with it...ie "work a program." Therefore, frustrating them hence, returning to the drinking with an attitude of "hey it didn't work (the pill) for me so why bother." I don't know just my take on it....
Of course there may be some that use it along with a program with different results....
yes (heavy sigh) oh well-----
Old 12-29-2005, 11:54 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Acting not reacting

Interesting topic. I'm in agreement that this injection may not be a effective as the drug company hopes. Just like the patch for smokers (like me), if I dont want to quit, want to heal my addiction, then it doesnt work. The substitutes dont fix the underlying issues causing the alcohol craving.

I hope I am wrong.
Old 12-29-2005, 12:06 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
How Important Is It?

It's been good to hear this conversation. When I read the article, the first thing in my mind was: "will this perhaps cure my daughter's alcoholism?"

After reading the feedback, I agree that the alcoholic must do the work.

However, it's possible the drug might be helpful as a crutch in early recovery... I know that some people have been helped during early recovery by drugs.
Old 12-29-2005, 12:17 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Still learning; ever grateful

For whatever it's worth, I'm on Revia (pill), a form of Naltrexone, and it's worked great. Maybe it's all in my head, but I'll take it over the consequences of my drinking any day.

Forging ahead -