Is there any reason to be worried?

Old 12-24-2005, 08:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Is there any reason to be worried?

Hi everyone.

Just recently (i.e 2-3 weeks) my mother began drinking moderately in the evenings (Used to be 3-5 beers, now its usually 2-3 large glasses of wine). She never used to do this and I can tell she gets moderately intoxicated because her voice starts to slur and she begins to act loopy.

She takes half a pill of Xanax every night (and has done so for 8 years) and she is usually passed out before 8 pm. I am wondering if this is any cause for concern.

She is going through a rough time with her mother who is going senile and I think it may be some sort of escape mechanism for her but I can’t be sure. I want to know from people who have experienced this first hand if this is any reason to be concerned.

Please do not be melodramatic, I just need a straight up answer because I am starting to get really worried because she does not act normal after she takes her Xanax/drinks her wine. Thanks.
Old 12-24-2005, 09:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to SR....

Xanax is not to be used when you drink alcohol.
Check the bottle and you will see the warning.

You can also use Google for more info.

Hope this helps....Blessings
Old 12-24-2005, 09:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes I already knew that. She doesnt take enough Xanax or alcohol to make it life threatening, but it is still abd nonetheless (which accounts for her early sleep pattern). Because she takes Xanax every night that would be like asking for total abstinance, which is not something many adults are capable of. I am wondering if this is some sort of ill omen sign or if this is jsut her way of coping with a hard situation.
Old 12-24-2005, 10:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, glad you found us.
i think I would worry, as more than one glass of wine per day is too much.

Would she go to a counselor?? you mentioned she is trying to cope with something.
Keep coming back.
Old 12-26-2005, 03:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Alcohol is a cruel mistress!!!

Welcome!! It sounds like she could be self medicating for depression, just a thought. Especially, since this drinking behavior is fairly new. I was on xanax for a short time and it was not terribly strong. I think she needs to be reevaluated by her Dr.. From a nurses perspective, xanax is usally only used in the short term. If anxiety is still an issue, usually paxil or effexor is perscribed. They are both antidepressants with anti anxiety additives. I am very suprised any dr. would allow her to stay on a controlled substance so long. Obviously, she has alot on her plate caring for her mother. I cared for my elderly grandmother and I can tell u it is overwhelming and stressful. Is there anyone who can share the load with her ie. a visiting nurse or another family member. I would kindly suggested she get a second opinion, she may be resistant since xanax is addictive but many Drs. will use an antianxiety med. with xanax if it still is needed. I hope my medical backround was of help to you. If she was my mom I would be concerned too, there is alot for her to deal with right now. Take care and keep coming back. I hope she can talk to someone soon.
Old 12-26-2005, 07:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

As you probably know, Xanax and alcohol are not a good combo, they potentiate each other. Yes, she might be drinking to escape the stress of dealing with her demented mother. I would confront her on this and tell her you are concerned. It is stressful to deal with someone who is confused and not with it, but she really needs to find alternate ways of dealing with it. You might suggest she talk to a counselor about it.