Notices

If you want what we have to offer...

Old 12-11-2005, 05:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

If you want what we have to offer...

then you too can have personal integrity, self esteem, a renewed desire for life, self respect, respect from family, friends, and work mates, improved health, true inner happiness, resonsibility/conscientiousness with work etc.

What are the requirements you ask?
A desire to get and stay sober
A willingness to work a program with the 12 steps NA/AA
A willingness to attend meetings
Getting a sponsor
Support from SR
An open mind to spiritual principles/Higher Power

If you try all these things and find that it's not for you. Don't worry. There is a 100% refund on misery.

All the best to you on your recovery journey. It's the best trip you will ever take. It doesn't cost much, but the rewards are priceless. Please send us a postcard via SR, and let us know how you are doing.

Big NA/AA hugs,
Diana
Old 12-11-2005, 10:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I DO! I DO!

I came into the program bleeding and broken. I've learned a few things along the way -

I was sick in body, mind and spirit at first. It took awhile for my body and my brain to clear and heal from the drink and drugs I put into my body. Just hold on for the first few weeks and months, it does get better.

I went to meetings and more meetings. I couldn't do much more than hold onto my chair at first, but eventually things started to make sense and I started to get to know people there who helped and supported me.

I got a sponsor and worked the steps! That's what they tell us to do, right? Well there is a REASON for that. The reason is that putting down the drink and drugs is only the beginning. I had to learn to do life all over again.

Keep coming back? How about just stay! Relapse doesn't have to be a part of recovery. We CAN learn from others that it really, really and truly doesn't get any better out there.

There is hope. There is a solution. We DO recover.

May you find recovery now.
Old 12-12-2005, 05:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

"If you try all these things and find that it's not for you. Don't worry. There is a 100% refund on misery."

Yes, this is true. I went for the refund. No fun. I choose to do the above so I can find peace. Thanks lonlion for this post.

Sherry
Old 12-12-2005, 05:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

personal integrity, self esteem, a renewed desire for life, self respect, respect from family, friends, and work mates, improved health, true inner happiness, resonsibility/conscientiousness with work etc
I can't have any of those if I don't practice the 12 Steps?

OMG, I'm DOOMED!!!!
Old 12-12-2005, 05:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Dan

Ah, come on Minnie...
I don't think any of the noble attributes mentioned are exclusively obtainable through the steps, and I certainly don't think such is insinuated anywhere in Lion's post.
Old 12-12-2005, 05:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I agree with Dan, Minnie. There's hope for all of us!
Old 12-12-2005, 06:09 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

There's a big difference between "If you want what I have, let me tell you how I got it" and listing a load of qualities with the requirements for attaining them being 12 Step orientated, with the implication being that it's the only route.

I am not anti 12 Step at all, just anti-one-size-fits-all-proclamations.
Old 12-12-2005, 06:24 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Dan

Originally Posted by minnie
just anti-one-size-fits-all-proclamations.
Yep, I hate those too.
And the above wasn't one of them, by any stretch of the imagination.
Old 12-12-2005, 06:28 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
learning

Originally Posted by Dan
Yep, I hate those too.
And the above wasn't one of them, by any stretch of the imagination.
It wasn't until we got to this part:
If you try all these things and find that it's not for you. Don't worry. There is a 100% refund on misery.
Then it became one.
Old 12-12-2005, 06:31 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Dan

Yeah, objectionable sloganese aside, it still doesn't imply anywhere that the steps are the only way, one size fits all program.
Loads of stuff I read doesn't suit my syntax and semantic taste.
Doesn't mean I have to ascribe to it untrue purpose.
Old 12-12-2005, 06:53 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Apologies for the turn this thread has taken. I simply posted a lighthearted response to what I perceived to be an implication that I could have those qualities without AA or NA.

I'll get back in my box now.
Old 12-12-2005, 07:01 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by minnie
I'll get back in my box now.
Oh no you don't.
Old 12-12-2005, 07:01 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Dan

Perceptions...
Unreal the havoc they can play with my mind.
Old 12-12-2005, 08:25 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

You know... this thread was started to give those who are suffering hope. To offer A solution.

This is not a game, folks. People DIE from this disease.

I don't know what to say... I am angry / disappointed at the turn this thread took.

Let's remember our purpose here - to help others.
Old 12-12-2005, 09:19 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Phinneas
You know... this thread was started to give those who are suffering hope. To offer A solution.

This is not a game, folks. People DIE from this disease.

I don't know what to say... I am angry / disappointed at the turn this thread took.

Let's remember our purpose here - to help others.

(...)

you are right phinny, we all need a little hope sometimes.
Old 12-12-2005, 10:30 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
NOT EVEN 1 CLUB!!

((Phinny)) I too get disappointed at all the debates of one recovery program vs. another. If it works for you then do it!! If it didn't work for you that's fine, but it may work for somebody else.

Why can't we stick to ES&H!! Yes HOPE!! Hope that there is a solution out there!! That by changing ME I can have a better life and help other people!! Any body want to debate that!!!??!!!??!!!

I'm tired of this crap and I try to stay away from the debates. Who exactly do you think you are helping? Does it make you feel good to be RIGHT?!

Part of my recovery is I AM NOT always right. Most of my problems I play a part in!!!

If I was new and came in a read some of the things on here, I don't think I would stick around. Because I've been here awhile and know there are good things on here, I'm STAYING!! Let's just be more considerate of others before we post!!

I don't normally go off like this, this is my old behavior. Not to happy it has surfaced here. But I do believe it has a purpose!!
Old 12-12-2005, 10:32 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
learning

I hear what you are saying Phin. I just don’t see how statements like the “misery comes with a full refund” are in the spirit of helping others or implies that there is hope.

I also don’t see how commenting on that implies that anyone thinks this is a game.

Come on out of the box Minnie, you didn’t say anything wrong. I felt the same way when I read the first post as well.
Old 12-12-2005, 10:40 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Dan

Colloquiums, figures of speach, adages, etc...
So freaking what, bart?
Is it news to you that a statement like that most likely has helped many people, and continues to do so? Daily?
What's the use of commenting on the fact that it's not flavored to your individual taste and requirements of what does and doesn't form a helpful statement?
It's that, that for the life of me, I just don't understand...
That such clear and defined thought such as you show here daily can get muddled to the point of completely missing the boat sometimes.

I apologize, Lion, for further derailing your thread.
Old 12-12-2005, 10:54 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
learning

No worries Dan,
Minne made a comment and I agreed. I think she summed everything up perfectly with her second post.

Pretty straight forward.

I gave an opinion, stand by it, and hardly think that my thoughts are muddled or that I missed the boat.

You have yours.

Peace, bro
Old 12-12-2005, 11:12 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Dan

Yeah, probably a little harsh on my part, bart.
Sorry about that.
I just can't see what it adds to the purpose on an onlne recovery forum that I think a given statement isn't helpful.
I just can't wrap my brain around the fact that my opinion on a sentence, or a paragraph, matters to the others around the world who will find assistance and comfort in the very words I disagree with.