Notices

Putting up a fight

Old 11-29-2005, 09:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
fightin' back

Putting up a fight

Hi. I am new here today. I have 5 1/2 months sobriety. Thanksgiving thru Saturday were my toughest days yet! The important thing is I got through them. Thank God for my fiance. If he wasn't here to deter me, I really don't believe I would have made it through Saturday. This is my third time in recovery,(it took ten years and a dui to get me back). It does get tougher every time. I recently got fired from my job, been asking God for lots of help, and here I am. Doing anything to keep myself protected from relapse. I will try hitting more meetings this week, some advice from my aftercare group.
Coming here, looking around and sharing some of myself has helped me today.
I am filling my head up with recovery stuff and that's a positive mindset.
I have a hard time convincing myself that I am worth it. Even though I tell myself good things, I can't get this belief in my heart. Suggestions? Thanks. I am grateful my sobriety remained in tack long enough for me to get here.
Old 11-29-2005, 09:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Noel
I am filling my head up with recovery stuff and that's a positive mindset. I have a hard time convincing myself that I am worth it. Even though I tell myself good things, I can't get this belief in my heart. Suggestions?
Welcome to SR, Noel. Glad you're here.

I can really relate to the above. Drink and drugs took such a toll on me and my self-worth, self-esteem. Funny thing is, though, I can remember always having those feelings of not being worthy, even before I picked up my first drink. I am so grateful for the program of AA, not only for helping me get and stay sober, but because it gives me the tools to really work on myself and address those hard, painful core issues. The only way past is through, I have learned and the steps give me a path to follow on this journey to healing inside and out.

I'm glad you're going to meetings and getting help. Congrats on your 5 1/2 months, too. You've made a good start and it truly does only get better.
Old 11-29-2005, 09:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Noel!

Welocome home! First I must say that it sounds like this time your doing it for you and tha means you are definatley worth it! Keep going to meetings, talking. reading, posting, whatever helps keep your mind focused. I am so happy to hear what a wonderful and supportive fiance you have, you both are amazing people!
Remember easy does it! And remember to pray.

Look forward to seeing you around
Grumpy