Where is she getting the money?

Old 11-29-2005, 04:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
How Important Is It?

Where is she getting the money?

I am feeling sick because I just got a phone call from the policeman in the small town where my daughter lives. He said they have picked her up twice in the past month, and put her in lockup for public drunkeness. He said that the last time he visited her place, she had two forty ounce bottles of rye in her refrigerator. He said she was in lockup for drunkenness last Wednesday night.

When I visited my daughter four days ago, she told me that she was a few days away from getting her "one month" AA chip, and I believed her! She told me how "honesty is very important to her program", and I believed her. Why am I surprised she lied to me? Deception and breaking of trust is just one of the aspects of the disease.

It pains so much to see this destruction. It's too painful to bear sometimes.

I asked him: "where is she getting the money to buy booze?" No family member is giving her money, and she has no job. And then it hit me - she could be getting money for booze in any number of ways - begging, selling drugs, or god help me, with criminal activity.

I feel sick. I can hardly breathe. But there's nothing to be done. It seems like the news is always worse and worse. How much more can I bear? She is running rampantly towards her bottom. I pray that God watches over her.

Robin
Old 11-29-2005, 04:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
How Important Is It?

I don't mind at all.

She's 22, but after she was sexually assaulted a month ago, the police just started calling me to keep me informed about what was going on with the assault investigation.

I never asked them, or expected them to do that. (actually, I'd rather not know)

They just started calling to offer information. I thought it was odd because she is an adult. I can only assume that they are not sure what to do with her, and maybe they thought that calling me would help - I just don't know.... She has been raising all sorts of hell in that town since she moved there. Maybe they are getting fed up with her. I just don't know.

The policeman is not a friend of hers or mine. I'm assuming he was at her place to give her information about the investigation around her assault. I don't know why he was looking in her fridge. Actually, now that I stop and think about it, I have to wonder...

On the phone tonight, he seemed genuinely concerned about her, and he mentioned the severity of her disease. My gut feeling is that the police are being as kind and understanding as they can. He says he understands that alcoholism is a disease.

It helps a lot to just talk about this. I don't feel quite so alone.

Robin
Old 11-29-2005, 04:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Robina... you are never alone... ever!

quietsins
Old 11-29-2005, 10:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Dear Robina,

I am very sad for you and your daughter. I hope she get in recovery. Unfortunately, you can only be there for her when she wants you to be there. It seems cold but true because I have been there with my husband.

As far as the booze goes. Drunks love each other and like to think the whole world is against them. I have found from my husband that when he or one of his buddies has a win fall they supply their buddies with booze. They love to drink together and complain about us sober people in their lives. So this may be where she is getting the booze.

My prayers are with you and hope everything works out for you and your daughter. Plus, please know I am only suggesting this because of my own experience.

This board will help you so much. Everyone is so kind and really helped me when I needed it.

Again- much love to you!!!
Old 11-30-2005, 04:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Alcohol is a cruel mistress!!!

I can't add anything to what humming bird said but know we our here for you. Maybe you need to step back a little. My prayers are with you and your daughter. Try to rest your worried mind, I know it is hard to do but if you burn out you are no good to yourself or anyone. With love, Kerry
Old 11-30-2005, 06:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by robina
She is running rampantly towards her bottom. I pray that God watches over her.
Me too. ((Robina))
Old 11-30-2005, 07:41 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Sorry you are hurting. I know when my bf was jobless and or homeless, he still mangaged to drink. He told me later he would find somebody to drink with and they had the booze or the money or he'd make up stories to get some spare change to buy a bottle of vodka. Sick I know, but it seems they can be very resourceful when they want or need a drink.
Old 11-30-2005, 08:52 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
How Important Is It?

Sometimes when the pain becomes too great to bear alone,
the kindness and support here helps me to get through
another day.

Robin