Notices

NEW

Old 11-26-2005, 08:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

NEW

This is my first time on this site, actually my first time ever searching for support by chatting with others about my subtance abuse problem. One step further, my first time admitting to anyone other than my SO, that I just may have a problem. I either have a alcohol problem OR a coke problem. Seems I do more of each if I have the other. It all started as a social activity, NOW I no longer socialize, I have withdrawn from all family and friends. Although I am never under the influence at work, I will admit I have been absent from work way to much recently. I bail on social invitations, to rush home, close myself up behind closed doors and snort/drink all that I have....alone. You say you have a coke problem. Is any of this familar to you?
Old 11-27-2005, 08:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome to SR...
I think you are going to like it here.
There is alot of support and information around here about addiction and tools to deal with it.
Old 11-27-2005, 08:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Margaret
I either have a alcohol problem OR a coke problem. Seems I do more of each if I have the other.
I have the disease of addiction - a drug problem means both alcohol and drugs. It doesn't matter which door I open, they all lead to MORE of whatever I can get.

There is a solution. I found recovery in AA and have been able to get and STAY clean and sober. AA and NA have helped millions of people and can help you, too. I hope you check out some meetings in your area.

Welcome to SR, Margaret. We're glad you're here.
Old 11-27-2005, 08:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome, Margaret. I did the coke thing ten or so years ago. Among friends at first, then actually bought some for myself. Wow. Way too fun. I'd just started my first profesional job and had to decide; booze, toot, or abstinence. Unfortunately, I chose the booze and that's why I'm here today. I do know how you feel. My old high school buddies still use (coke). No, thanks. As Ringo once said "No thank you please, it only makes me sneeze: I'm tired of waking up on the floor".

Keep in touch, we're all friends here
Old 11-27-2005, 08:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Stronger every day!

Welcome, Margaret...you are certainly not alone here. Phinny put it very well....the disease of addiction is not necessarily selective, but there is help out there if you really want it. Have you looked into meetings in your area? You can also check the schedule of online meetings here and join us whenever you can. Keep coming back, you're worth it. Love, Genie
Old 11-27-2005, 09:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Thumbs up

Hello Margaret...

I replied to your post in SA.
Please check your PM too.

There is hope and healing to be found.
You are not alone and SR is super!

Blessings...
Old 11-27-2005, 12:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good Morning Margaret Welcome to SR

You will find support and understanding here.
Your post brings back so many memories for me , I too, used to rush home frome work, shut the blinds, lock the gates and start drinking.That is how I spent the last several years of my drinking.
Did not answer the phone if I had had more than 6, bailed out of social outings just like you , cos they never drank like me , and might notice I drank too much.
I used to watch the " normal" people going about their life, and wish it was me.I always felt on the inside that "if only" I would be a nice person.

But of course the more I drank, the more I hated myself, and the more I drank to kill the emotional pain, and so it went .....

I was absolutely terrified because no matter how many times I " decided" not to drink today, I ended up doing just that , I was bewidered.
My drinking continued for 37 years, but it doesn't have to for you , you can get off the train at any stop.

For me, AA has worked , it is a miracle! I have been sober 26 months now , and I am a new person . I am free !!!!!!!!

Good Luck with your quest

HUGX
Lee
Old 11-27-2005, 12:50 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome, Margaret!
Old 11-27-2005, 12:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Margaret,
Welcome to SR. You will find that you are not alone.
Step #1 of the 12 step tradition is " Admitting we were powerless over the substance(s) that controled us and recognized that our lives had become unmanageable."
I remember that feeling of unmanagability and for a long time didn't know how to ask for help. For myself, theray and meetings were a literal lifesaver.
Have you given any thought to treatment?
Keep posting and we are here for you.
Old 11-27-2005, 03:58 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

have you ever heard of some famous person go into rehab for alcohol, come out,...and then months later you hear they went in another rehab for cocaine? How many of us thought,...wow....he must have real bad luck. Addicted to coke AND alcohol??? What are the chances?????!!!?? The reality is that addicts have ADDICTION problems. For instance,...I couldnt quit drinking, but pick up coke,....and say that Im sober. Im NOT sober if Im doing ANYTHING that alters my state of mind. So if you have an alcohol problem,....you cant kick that and then continue on with the cocaine.
Old 11-27-2005, 05:03 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
We all need each other.

Hello, Margaret! Welcome to SR. Glad you found us. I hope you will keep posting and let us get to know you. I agree with others--addiction is addiction. I doubt you will be successfull giving up one but keeping the other. However, that is just my opinion!

Hugs to you--
Old 11-27-2005, 05:07 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Wlecome to SR Margaret, glad you found us

For me I am an addict beginning and end of story, I need to keep sober/clean one day at a time.

Kevin
Old 11-27-2005, 05:13 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome Margaret!!! Anything I would have said has already been said. A substance is a substance is a substance. Mine was alcohol but I have an addictive personality and if I started on anything else to fill that hole that I tried to fill first with food and then with alcohol, I'd be off to the races again. Today I have to be abstinent from any substance that changes the way I feel. In its place I had to learn a way of living that helps me to cope in a healthy manner with the emotions and ups and downs of life. For me that was AA.

Hope you keep posting. You are definitely not alone in this!

Hugs,
Kellye
Old 11-27-2005, 05:25 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

You hit the right button M lots of good people and support here big WELCOME.
Old 11-27-2005, 06:17 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Service is a Key

Welcome Margaret;

I too am new to this site, but not new to recovery!!! This site is fantastic, just found it today and have not been able to stay off it. What a new blessing.

You have taken a positive step in posting to this site. A positive step to a new way of life. I too have experienced what you are going through with the alcohol and the cocaine.

It's only a matter of time before your addictions become apart of areas in your life they currently may not be, work and etc.

Take another step and find AA or NA meetings in your area. Go to them. Talk with the members as you have talked to us. There will be plenty of rewards, you'll see.

I can honestly say I'm achieving greater Highs in sobriety, then I ever achieved with alcohol or drugs. In great part to attending these meetings on a regular basis.

I hope you come back to read these replies, let us know how your doing.

We Love you!!
God Bless
Old 11-28-2005, 11:12 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Margaret welcome to SR! Glad you found us and I hope to see ya around.
Old 11-29-2005, 08:34 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi Margaret and a big, warm welcome heading your way!
I'm so glad that you found us and have taken a big step
towards finding your way back to freedom. Stick around
and get to know us as we get to know you.

Hugs,

Cheryl