Changing drinking hours in the UK (England).

Old 11-23-2005, 02:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Changing drinking hours in the UK (England).

It's open all hours now - or at least potentially. Our drinking laws are too complex to explain in full and have plenty of quirks but until now shops selling booze had to stop selling at 11pm and most 'local' pubs stopped serving then too.

I worked as a waitress, in town, I went to uni, my husband wound up addicted to alcohol. 11pm has meant stop so many times - I've seen so many kids have to stop then, people in town kicked out at 11 and too drunk to get into a club - but trying and I don't doubt would have got another drink at the pub they were at.

Trying to quit some harder nights have led to a sigh of relief at 11pm - battle won. D used to leave opening the first one until 11pm, then changing his mind and drinking more would be impossible.

At uni kids get so drunk out their heads, not knowing their limits, cheered on by the culture and the bars there open till 2am - did that later opening help? HELL NO!!

They say it will mean less people on the streets at chucking out time - but where will they be? Not drinking more by any chance? And the times to get INTO the clubs is unlikely to change so there'll still be a whole crowd on the move between 10.30 and 11pm.

Of course they expect arrests to go up - (only because of a drive against drunken, disorderly behaviour - policed by who I don't know as it seems to me the police can't manage what they do now!). I should think they expect alcohol tax revenue to go up too.

But hey I suppose the whole point is to not restrict 'innocent' people in their freedom to drink to midnight and beyond, in pubs or buy more booze at gone 12!!

It changed today - each time it's been on the news I've felt a sinking feeling knowing how many days of life are bought because it's out of hours and no more drink can be boought. That small breather - I wonder how many second chances it's offered but it won't do anymore.

It changed in Scotland a while back but with far more balances and other controls, so one news programme said.
Old 11-23-2005, 02:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I don't understand the reasoning - there is no way the British are going to adopt a "Cafe Culture" like on the Continent. Even Shakespeare pointed out that we were a nation of boozers.

Sigh....
Old 11-23-2005, 03:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yeah - it's not that I think closing hours ever solved a problem but I'm sure they have bought many individuals another day and another chance to do what they have to to get sober.

Just individual days, a girl who gets home sober enough to get in the taxi rather than walk alone, the boy stopped at throwing up instead of being unconscious. Or an addicted drinker thinking they would stop after # but made to stop at kicking out time.

I just grieve this law change - All I have ever seen of drinking from binge, learner, addict, birthday girl, end of term, or just hometime after a simple night out. Too often when there is ANY problem it's closing hours that have at least stopped it then. For nights out with no problem, hometime hasn't been a problem either.
Old 11-24-2005, 01:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Totally agree with you both.
They tried to bring it in here earlier in the year - lot of guff about 'cafe culture' too (ha!) but it seems to have taken a back seat for the moment.
Personally I think it's driven by the publicans who, In Ireland anyway, have major clout with the politicians. In fact, many politicians own pubs - easy to do the math, as they say.
It's just a money-making racket, nothing to do with helping the big problem that's here too with binge-drinking and all that goes with it, no matter how they gussy it up.
Who'll benefit? Not the kids anyway, and the police here can't cope either, nor can the A&E in hospitals.
Makes my blood boil....
Sophia
x
Old 11-24-2005, 06:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
How Important Is It?

This was on the news this morning - I just shook my head when I heard it. Why does drinking have to be promoted and encouraged in this way?

Having an alcoholic daughter has really changed my ideas about drinking in general.

Robin
Old 11-24-2005, 11:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

having a alcoholic son of 23 this is the worst thing ever, although he is now in his own place he can now get a drink anytime , how can we help them when the goverment just opens the door for them to drink 24/7
Old 11-24-2005, 11:41 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

This law change seems so absolutely detached from the realities of drinking problems. I was in a charity shop this afternoon and they were talking about it - they also felt the same, it's a bad day.

I feel a grief for the individuals - especially the kids between 17 and 20, my heart breaks for them as they grow up in our culture which seems to value getting drunk more and more.

It seems ironic that a court judgment was passed today that says drunken consent to sex is still consent - apparently the girl was barely conscious. The frightening thing is that most young people here have got themselves in similar states - including myself in my teenage years (not hard for me, couldn't drink for toffee!).

I feel grief for their lives because however small the number - I've seen to often kicking out time ending sessions that otherwise would have continued to oblivion, and I know there will be accidents and deaths without that final 'time at the bar' bell.
Old 11-26-2005, 03:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

George Best

I can't understand how no parallel has been drawn between the death of George Best & new drinking laws. BTW I find the media coverage of his death saddening & exhausting - they really don't seem to get it at all. The guy played fantastic football back in the 60s and early 70s & from then on in was a very sad alcoholic. Why are all these people in tears & advocating silences etc - beyond me!