Notices

Insomnia Tips, Anyone?

Old 11-21-2005, 08:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Insomnia Tips, Anyone?

I have searched the site (including the 'What to Expect' thread), and realize that there are many, many others going through this, too. What I can't find, though (maybe I'm just not looking in the right places--sorry if I've missed them), are members' tips for dealing with insomnia.

I am on Day 20 of sobriety now, and the sleeplessness and late, late hours are just not going away. I'm NOT complaining, mind you, as this is pretty much the only effect I'm feeling from quitting alcohol now. The anxiety, shaking, nausea, aches, moodiness, etc... are all gone (for good I hope...lol). But still, it would be nice to get one good night's rest.

I've tried all the traditional tips available on the Internet--everything from counting sheep to drinking warm milk, but nothing works. I was wondering, are there any special things that might work better for those with a drinking problem? Is there anything that you guys find particularly helpful? I've cut way down on the caffeine, work out for 50 minutes every day, and have a long hot bath every night, but none of those seem to be helping, either.

Any help, advice or opinions will be greatly, greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Sleepless in Recovery
Old 11-21-2005, 09:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

There is still sometimes that I don't even get a good night rest. A good night for me is if I can get 5 hours but usually I wake up 2 times during that time. I would like a good 8 hours but I don't think that it is going to happen anytime soon. I just keep thinking that maybe someday I will be able to sleep through the alarm..

Love Vic
Old 11-21-2005, 09:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
You're never alone!!

Hey Sleepless,

Well,, I can just tell you that it takes time for people to get back to normal. I believe most, people will tell you that, in recovery, sleep is the thing that taks the longest to get back to normal. It just takes time.

I know I have done my share of time.. Sleepless...

Just know, you will get there though. But most importantly,, I want to tell you that, there was times, that I relapsed using lack of sleep, insomnia and a reason for the relapse,,, just telling myself, I can't do this anymore.. Well, You can. If you go back, I am living proof to show you that, all you will do is, start the recovery process over again. Yes, you will get a nap, but, so what, it's not worth all the clean time,, for a nap.. LOL.. I actually did this, more than once.

Keep up the great work.. Sleep will come in time.. Pray about it.. Then pray some more.. Just keep doing everything positive that you are doing, and in time, it will come..

Love and prayers,
Becky
Old 11-21-2005, 09:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

From my files...Sleep Link

http://www.well.com/user/mick/insomnia/

I resent sleeping so sorry...I have no personal tips.
Old 11-21-2005, 10:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Grasshopperpie! you are doing so well!!!!!!!!! Fantastic!

I had dreadful insomnia when I got sober. At first it was OK cos I was on holidays , and could nap during the day if I needed to. But when I went back to work, it was important for me to get good sleep. A friend in AA told me about camomille tea, and valerian capsules. ( Both are herbal) and they were a real blessing for me. I no longer need to use them, but they did not leave me drowsy, and I woke refreshed.

This might be of some use to you, it worked for me

HUGX
Lee
Old 11-21-2005, 10:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone, for your responses. And thank you, too, Carol D--I remembered that you'd posted that link before, but I could not find it! I don't want to be nosy, but is it okay to ask why you resent sleeping? :sleeping: I don't believe I've ever heard that before...lol.
Old 11-21-2005, 10:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

My strict Dad made me go to bed at 8 until I was 14.

So...I would put my radio under the covers and listen to music.
At 10 when he retired....
I carried the radio and pillows into my closet...turned on the light and read.

I have always loved to work nights...
However...this weird nocturnal prowling was hell on romance!
Old 11-21-2005, 11:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
You're never alone!!

Wow Carol,

I too resent sleeping..
I love the night shift as well.. My husband does NOT want me to work it though..
I just resent having to sleep.

I am happy to know now that I am not alone...

Love ya all
Becky
Old 11-21-2005, 11:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
a hole new life

I can only relay to you what I find helpful:-

I eat my evening meal early, before 7pm

I try to clear my mind and start winding down at about 9.30pm

I dont take a hot bath, I go for a short stroll

I read something light, not to taxing on my little brain

Drink only still water, last glass one hour before you retire

I work on my breathing and go through a relaxation proceedure I learnt during sessions with a hypnothoripist.

Say my prayers and my affirmations

These work for me, not every time but getting into a routine is important for me.Good luck and sleep tight!

Dave
Old 11-22-2005, 12:12 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks again, guys. I'm going to try all of these. Well, maybe not tonight...lol. It's already three am here, and I'm not remotely sleepy, so I think it's too late. Here we go again.
Old 11-22-2005, 12:22 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yup (raises hand) another insomniac here. It's better now, thank goodness, but my first three months were miserable. EddieZ recommended Melatonin and it does work. It's the only thing I will take for sleep now. It's natural, gentle and effective. You can get it in the vitamin section of a grocery or drug store. Might be worth a try.
Old 11-22-2005, 12:27 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I been having a hard time sleeping lately myself.Its 12:30 and I gotta get up at 6.
Old 11-22-2005, 01:11 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Holy Cow...Batman...I can't sleep either...seems I'm so stressed out that I sit here and read stuff and then can't get up in the morning...Got a new job...not really loving it...had a couple of the girls kinda up in my face today...and I am totally not into the conflict they seem to perpetuate. It's been 2 weeks...I am still looking for a different job...cause it looks like I don't fit in...I think I am ready to go live in my car! and I got totally envolved reading about the girlfriends kids...out of control...my daughter just went to a residential for behaviours that were definitely keeping me from sleeping...I'll go back and comment on "boundaries.."
Old 11-22-2005, 01:17 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Two cups of a cammamolie tea.

And READ IN BED. Honestly, lay on your side, get good trashy but engrossing novel, and read until you drop off.

I swear by those. I get it as well. I get all excited and I cant sleep sometimes!
Old 11-22-2005, 01:35 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

A nice cup of tea sounds great...and much healthier than the bowl of cereal I just had at 1:30am...
Old 11-22-2005, 05:19 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Myabe its the 20 day thing....I am experiencing insomnia too and am at 20 days ...
Old 11-22-2005, 05:53 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
You're never alone!!

Lol,

Insomnia is the recovery thing.. Lol....

Hope ya'll got some sleep.. I did,, some..

Have a great day!!

Love,
Becky
Old 11-22-2005, 06:06 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Getting Restored To Sanity

Here's a suggestion, don't drink coffee or tea! Maybe you drink too much of those, not sure.

Also, it is a good idea to lie in bed an think about what you did, who you met for the day, 10th step. And, then try to pray for a good nights rest, then invision yourself sleeping. Hopefully, you can get to sleep then.
Old 11-22-2005, 08:48 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
blah blah blahhhhh

those late sleepless nights......a good exercise in meditation practice. I clear my mind and practice deep breathing. In through the nose , out through the mouth. concentrate and listen to your breathe, your heart beat, your breathe. In through the nose, out through the mouth , Deep Breathing.........Keep thoughts out of your mind....blank mind , in through the nose , out through the mouth...........I'm starting to fall asleep now...
Old 11-22-2005, 11:24 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

It's so nice to read all of these responses, and know I am not the only wakeful weirdo out there. It's almost as good as sleep...lol! Thanks, everyone. Angelgirl, thank you for sharing that story, too--I will do my level best not to use the insomnia as an excuse to fall back into drinking. And Dead Poet, CONGRATULATIONS on your 20 days! It's great to have yet another buddy on the site who is at the same point I am in sobriety.