Notices

Going to rehab

Old 11-21-2005, 10:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Still learning; ever grateful

Going to rehab

Well, I've finally got the ball rollling and I'm going into rehab. Maybe as soon as the Monday after Thanksgiving, if all the paperwork gets done. I told my boss EVERYTHING and he completely understood and got me in touch w/ our Employee Assistance Program.

My question is, what should I expect in rehab? It's not one of those fancy Father Martin Ashley places b/c my insurance doesn't cover it. I know all the facilities are different, but is there anything I should/can't bring? Also, will I be able to be in touch w/ my mom? She's eldery and can't get around very well, but even ONE phone call a week would help both of us get through. I haven't told her yet; she really leans on me a lot emotionally, so I haven't gotten the heart yet.

Sooo, I'll be gone starting next week hopefully, but I PROMISE I'll come right back here and keep posting and going to meetings. So any advice about rehab is appreciated. I know it's better than what I'm going through now; I know it's not a spa (CarolD - LOL!), but all I can picture is "Girl Interrupted" and I'm 38! Sigh

Thanks and love to everyone.
Hugs,
Old 11-21-2005, 10:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Getting Restored To Sanity

Well, good luck on your road to recovery. Rehab is alright. Gets repetitive, but that is what we need in the beginning. At my rehab, I could make calls, there was a payphone there.

You can't bring any herbal stuff cause they don't know if it is a drug or not, and probably not listerine for the alcohol content. I had to leave my money and cell phone in the bank there, so you probably aren't able to use a cell phone.

My advise is just bring clothes, bathroom necessities and your attention. Listen and share, and you will be well on your way when you get out. All the best.
Old 11-21-2005, 09:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Not all better, getting better

Try to be open to whatever is presented to you there. You dont' have to agree with everything, but at least try to be open to it. As far as stuff not to bring, it doesn't really matter because they will go through all of your stuff and take anything you aren't allowed to have. Dont' take it personally, they do it to everyone!! Usually you are allowed to make phone calls, but you will probably need a calling card, and sometimes they don't allow any calls the first week. I would suggest bringing a empty journal to write in, you will do lots of writing and it is good to have a place where you can keep your personal thoughts and be able to look back and reflect on them. You'll probably have a room mate, so if you've never had one before it can be an "interesting" experience!! I think that is really the best way to take rehab in general, as an experience, hopefully it will be a life changing experience!! It is not a cure, it will not fix you. All they can do is give you some time, a safe place, and the opportunity to learn how to help yourself. All the best. Take care.
Old 11-21-2005, 10:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
You're never alone!!

Hey daddy'sgirl,,

Well, GREAT for you!@!!!

I have a couple of things to tell you.. First, you are making a wonderful, wonderful decision.. Just be sure you go with a completely open mind. Do not close your mind at all to anything.. You are a super LUCKY, LUCKY person , remember that, the whole time you are there.. I have been in treatment more than once.. There was a time that I was in treatment and I took it for granted. My insurance paid for a couple, I am paying for a couple.. UGH.. ( yes, with no money, no job).. But, my point here is, there are many that do not get the same chance you and I have been, and are given.. I am so grateful now that I was.. ( even though, I know I wasted at least 1 trip , but that's OK, can't go back now.. )...

But, as far as advice, I always brought my own pillow.. Their pillows were paper thin.. Yes, I know, not a resort, but its best to be comfortable when you sleep at night..
DO NOT bring much money.. People do steal..

Otherwise, it's best to call them, and ask. They will tell you what to bring, as far as clothes, and if they have a wash machine, and dryer on site, and if it's free. (the one's I attended did).. I know they do not let you bring in anything with alcohol in it, example-mouthwash, some colognes, hair sprays.. That type of thing. But, it's just best to call. You can find out alot that way.. I just really advise the pillow, but I would ask. lol..

Regardless,, It is a wonderful move on your part. Congrats on your decision..
You are a really lucky woman, know that,, even if at the moment it may not feel that way..

We are here for you until you go, and as soon as you get back..
Please, use SR,, for anything you need to get out of your head, before you go..

Hang in there...
You have made a wonderful life choice.

Love and many prayers,
Becky

Oh PS-- Tyler gave you wonderful advice, especially on the journal.. I also wanted to tell you that everytime I went, I always took a BIBLE with me.. Don't know how you feel about that,, but I needed it at times.. I wasn't the only one that had oen there..
Old 11-22-2005, 06:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Not all better, getting better

Great idea on the pillow Becky!! I didn't even think of it because I take mine with me whenever I travel!! LOL I also always bring my slippers. For me personally those two things go along way towards making me feel at home where ever I am. Take care.
Old 11-22-2005, 07:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks

Thanks for the tips everyone. It's funny you mention the pillow - it was the first thing on my (long) list!! Flip flops, etc. for the shower. THANK YOU for the advice on the calling card. I hadn't thought about that. I'll buy one today.
Becky, I agree w/ you that we are very lucky. There's always someone who's had it worse; had no insurace, etc. I'm taking this VERY seriously, believe me. A friend of mine is big into AA, and he's going to take me when I get out. He has a woman friend who is willing to talk to me, too! So yes, I feel very lucky and I have an open mind. I might roll my eyes at times, but I'll keep an open mind.
I broke down and told my mom last night. She was sad and cried, but she said she knew and was glad I was getting help. I told her IF I miss Christmas (which is why I'm trying to go in as soon as possible so I won't have to) that every day will be Christmas when I get out. That made her cry more, but I think it was a happy cry.
Thank you all again. I'm still playing phone tag w/ the facility, but my fingers are crossed.
Hugs to all,
Old 11-22-2005, 11:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
You're never alone!!

Hey,,

Just wanted to say,,,, Keep on callin... Hopefully you have gotten ahold of them already..

It's a good thing that you talked to your mom. Sometimes, we build telling our family
up, to be more anxiety than we need to. We just fill ourselves full of anxiety by waiting, I believe it's best to do that as soon as we can do it. I am glad for you, that you did..

As far as Christmas,, they might give passes for Christmas. Not sure how far you will be from home, but the places I was in, gave passes on Sunday, and I believe Holiday's,
they gave passes for a few hours. Then as soon as you got back, they would do a urine test..
But no matter what, you were right in what you said, life will be so much better when you get out, that it will be all worth while,..

Keep us posted
Love and prayers,
Becky
Old 11-22-2005, 11:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Daddysgirl, I will miss having you around here. You really offered me so much hope and kindness. I will be thinking of you, and praying that your rehab is the best experience it can possibly be. I've never been, but it sounds like an amazing opportunity in recovery.

All the best, and I look forward to seeing you again on the site!

GP
xox

Old 11-22-2005, 12:01 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Awww!

Thank you everyone (sniff...) Guess what? I finally got in touch w/ the facility and they're taking me on Monday!!! It's a 5 day detox and then heavy oupatient from something like 9-3. I wish it were 9am-10pm (LOL!), but I'll do meetings, meetings, meetings for strength, and pray to God. Since I know He sent me here, He'll be beside me every step of the way. It was funny b/c the woman on the phone sounded surprised at how much I can drink (I'm 5'10, but only about 130 lbs.) I say "only" lightly since I see models on TV that are as tall as me, but weigh something gross like 112!! I felt like saying "lady - like this is the first time you've heard that!" Geez! But at least they have room for me. I'll be out of commission starting on Monday, but like I said, I'll come back and let you know how it went.

I really love and appreciate all of you. I hope in a year, I can help someone the way you all have helped me. God bless!!

HUGE, BEAR-SIZED HUGS,
Old 11-22-2005, 12:10 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by daddysgirl29
It was funny b/c the woman on the phone sounded surprised at how much I can drink (I'm 5'10, but only about 130 lbs.) I say "only" lightly since I see models on TV that are as tall as me, but weigh something gross like 112!! I felt like saying "lady - like this is the first time you've heard that!" Geez!
LMAO! Daddysgirl....ROTFLMAO! I don't know why, but that little anecdote made me literally laugh out loud. I am also 5' 10" and 134 lbs...so pretty close to you. I could outdrink my six-foot-three husband and anyone else, for that matter. Once I was proud of that, believe it or not. Then the fact really, really sickened me. Now I'm laughing about it, which is probably not right either...but hey, maybe it's a good sign. Man, it's good to be able to really laugh without the help of harmful substances. Thank you!

And seriously, all the best of luck to you, fellow skyscraper.

Love,

GP
xox
Old 11-22-2005, 01:47 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Go well and hang in there daddysgirl, we will keep your seat warm
Old 11-22-2005, 02:19 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
I bite.

I am very happy for you girl!
Old 11-22-2005, 02:33 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm SO glad for you! And can't wait to hear how it was once you're back. You'll be in my prayers daily, gal!

:sunani

(and remember, you've got a big ol' family waiting for you right here!)
Old 11-22-2005, 02:33 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

I'm very happy for you. Stop over and read the first few posts in my thread "Weird inpatient detox question". Before it turned into a journal thread I was very concerned about getting a specific item, my stuffed bunny, into my detox center (ended up tapering just so that I could get off sooner AND sleep my with little bunny.)

It may have some answers for you there as well.

AND CALL. That's what I ended up doing.
Old 11-22-2005, 07:43 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Smile

I'm so proud of you for taking this big step!

Love,
Cheryl
Old 11-23-2005, 03:51 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Fantastic!!!

You are right...He will hold your hand and help you so long as you sincerely ask.

I won't say "good luck" since luck isn't involved...I'll just say work hard because, like most things worthwhile, you'll get out of it what you put in it.

BubbaBob
Old 11-23-2005, 06:49 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks, everyone!!

You guys are SO great. Alera - I read your post; thanks for providing it. It helped a lot. I'm scared, but excited, too! I'm glad it's at 9:00 in the morning so I won't have all day to talk myself out of it. Not a chance! I'm definitely going!!

I talked to my mom last night. She cried the whole time. I wish she could be strong, but she's been through so much since my dad died last year (they were together for 54 years!) I hated putting this on her, but I HAVE to do it. For once, I have to be selfish and stop being the rock in the family! I DID talk to one of my 3 older brothers last night, (my favorite one - the youngest of the 3), and he's really proud of me. I wish she could be....and not blame herself. She doesn't drink, but my dad had a pretty bad problem w/ it. She's 74 and has a weak heart. If anything happens to her while I'm "gone", I don't know what I'll do. I can't think about that now, but to be honest, I'm not looking foward to Thanksgiving if she's gonna cry the whole time. It's just gonna be me, her and my (grumpy as*) middle-older brother.

Sigh....I'll really miss you all while I'm gone. Thank you for the nice thoughts.

Love and hugs,
Old 11-23-2005, 07:54 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
You're never alone!!

Hey daddysgirl,

So good to hear from you..!!! Really, really glad to hear you won't be talking yourself "out" of it.. I have seen people here, as well as other places do that.. Not a good thing. You are working at saving your life,, and that is a wonderful thing..

About your mom.. Just try to understand.. It is so hard for them.. They are afraid for us, and confused, and just plain going through a huge range of emotions as well.. Not that they are our biggest concern, we are our biggest concern.. Yes, it might be selfish, but we have to be selfish.. When it comes to this.. It's our life..
But they are often afraid,, and especially if your dad had a big problem with alcohol,,
then it could be scaring her more, or bringing back memories for her.. ??
I will say a prayer for you, that you have a nice Thanksgiving, and that your mom does not cry, and can find peace about you getting help. Heck, it's something to celebrate.. That's the way I feel. You are taking very important steps in your life. You should be so proud, and no matter what goes on tomorrow,, for Thanksgiving, if they get on your nerves, just remember, you are doing a WONDERFUL thing

We will miss you too.. But we will be very, very happy to know where it is that you are going to be.. Saving your life. That ROCKS!!

Can't wait to hear from you when you return.. But we are here until you go.. and tomorrow, we will be here for you, there is always someone here,, so f you need support after spending time with your family, just hop on, and let it all out.. It helps..

Love and prayers,,
Becky
Old 11-23-2005, 09:37 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

(wiping my eyes after reading that post) Yeah....what angelgirl said!

hugs...
Old 11-23-2005, 09:41 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Ditto...sniff

I can honestly say that the love and support I feel on here has opened my eyes to a new set of REAL friends. A very humble THANK YOU to all.