New to Board

Old 11-21-2005, 08:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New to Board

Greetings Everyone!

I'm new to the board here, although not new to ACOA or recovery. I've been working my recovery since March of 2005. I have come a long way, and I am a member of another board, and attend online meetings there as well. I wanted to join this board because it looks a little more active. So I'll introduce myself, my name is Anita and I'm an ACOA. I grew up with an alcoholic father and co-dependent, abusive mother. My dad drinks very infrequently now, yet in many ways is still a dry drunk. My mother has changed somewhat, she's not quite as abusive, at least not physically, but of course all of that left its mark. The changes did not occur until I was an adult, so I grew up, through most of my childhood with this dysfunction. I, of course, have my good and bad days, and today is an in-between type of day. My job is stressing me out a little, as it is not a part of my life that makes me feel particularly fulfilled at this time. I am working on changing that. I went to school for my undergraduate degree in English and Literature, and did not pursue graduate school. I ended up in a banking-related job, not "career", and am now pursuing graduate study, although I have had my undergrad degree for five years. I'm in the middle of the application process, and things look good thus far, besides I'm having a hard time nailing down my final recommendation letter, because most of the professors I had previously have moved on to other schools or retired since I graduated, and that is a bit of stress for me, as I'm feeling rejected, not good enough, etc. I realize intellectually that the circumstances are not my fault, but I'm still taking it kind of hard. I'm still exploring other options, though. At any rate, I wanted to introduce myself to everyone. I've been reading the posts on here and this seems like a really supportive place. Thanks for reading, I'm excited to "meet" all of you!

Love in Recovery
Anita
Old 11-21-2005, 08:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey Anita
Sounds like you have some great job changes going on.
That "not good enough" feeling we learn as children has a tendency to follow us into adulthood.
Luckily, we can change that.