Notices

Today

Old 11-21-2005, 03:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
kev

Today

Today I admitted I am an alcoholic.
Today I poured away the half bottle of dark rum I would drink tonight along with 6 cans of lager.
Today I phoned AA.
Today I finally realised the damage my drinking was doing to my marriage.
Today I wept before my wife.
Today I vowed not to drink myself senseless tonight.
Today I missed my children going to school for the last time.

Tonight I will not have a drink.
Tonight I will probably shake and not sleep.

I vow I will never drink again.

Kev
Old 11-21-2005, 04:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
We all need each other.

Hello there, Kev--Welcome to SR! Glad you found us. This is a wonderful place for support and encouragment. You have made the very important first step, admitting you are an alcoholic and that you need help. I hope you will post some more and let us get to know you. So many of us have been right where you are right now. My name is Laura and I am a gratefully recovering alcoholic with a precious 21 months of sobriety. It hasn't been easy, but one day at a time I have learned to change my thinking and, for the most part, have had the obsession to drink removed.

Hang in there. I would suggest checking out the Alcoholism forum here. In particular, the thread near the top called, "Quitting, what to expect." Please don't be afraid to reach out to us. We're here for you....

Hugs--
Old 11-21-2005, 05:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey Kev...

Welcome to SR...

Sounds like you had a moment of blinding clarity around your disease.
Blessings on that.

It's great that you called AA... cause for me... it was only by looking at my disease on other people... that I could see where and how it was working in my life...
and it was only by following the path of those who successfully left it behind that I managed to go on in a better way.

Stepping back from the brink...

Saying a prayer for you... for continued resolve to go to any length to get well.
Old 11-21-2005, 06:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
a hole new life

Hello Kev, Wellcome and keep comming back for more medicine
Dave
Old 11-21-2005, 06:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Kev. I have just about 4 months of sobriety so I relate to what your saying immensely. It looks like you've taken a GIANT step on your road to recovery. By admitting that you are an alcoholic, you've taken Step One already. I know that when I did this, it was a huge sigh of relief to get that monkey off my back. Now I work with my sponsor on the twelve steps through the Big Book, and I am slowly getting my life back. Keep on posting Kev !!!
Old 11-21-2005, 07:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome kev. This is a great place to come for your daily dose of medicine. Stick around and get to know us. We help each other stay sober, and deal with life, one day at a time!
Old 11-21-2005, 07:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
kev

Thank you for your welcomes....I'm sorry my introductory post was worded rather abruptly.

I am not in the drinking time zone yet, so all is well, but I am dreading tonight and know it will be killer, I will keep posting.

Thanks Kev
Old 11-21-2005, 08:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Coming out of my shell

Hey Kev! Welcome to Today. Keep posting and reading everything you can here. We're here for you.
Old 11-21-2005, 09:11 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Thumbs up Hi Kev...

It's great to see a new member seeking answers.

Hugs to you and your family...
Old 11-21-2005, 09:25 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
A lone wolf staring back at me

Kev,
You are making one of the best and most important steps in your life. Take control, others have and you can to... I have...
Your brother in sobriety...
JOE
Old 11-21-2005, 09:52 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Little Girl Found

Hey Kev--

I wanted to welcome you as well! Take a look around this forum--there's a ton of information and support to aid you in your new life! That first step of admitting our problem, then seeking guidance is one of the hardest!

Oh, and you don't have to apologize--your first post wasn't abrupt! Sometimes true eloquence comes with saying only what is necessary and nothing else! You definitely got your point across.

Take care!

Danielle
Old 11-21-2005, 10:06 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
In Paradise!

Thumbs up

Hey Kev!

Welcome to SR and the post.

If I may just make a comment on something from my experience in AA now for over 21 years & 8 years on continuos sobriety. May I comment on one thing?

I vow I will never drink again.
I am not correcting you but would like to add to what I read. That statement is called "fortune telling", and a big order! We never know whats going to happen tomorrow. My crystal ball broke down awhile back, still down as we speak matter of fact. If you have any kind of slip would be think yourself a failure? Recovery road has a few bumps in it or it should since this is all real new to everyone in early recovery.

But JUST FOR TODAY I will not be taking a drink or drug, and I will pursue a better life without the use of drugs and alcohol. I will be in service, to my fellow addicted folks.

Excellent you have found SR, and look forward to more posts from you.

Cheers,
~GB

Old 11-21-2005, 10:07 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
You're never alone!!

Wink

Welcome Kev,,

So very happy to have you here at SR!!!
Wonderful place by the way !!!!

Sounds like you took some steps
today, to improve your life.!!
Great job!!

It takes work..
That's for sure,
but it's all good work
and so worth it,,,

Hope you stick around here at SR!!
Check out all the forums..

Just don't overwhelm yourself Kev,,
don't say you will never drink again,
that's a tall order, one that will seem huge at times,
Just take it a day at a time..
That's all we really have,
Just for Today,,,,

Love and Prayers,
Beck
Old 11-21-2005, 11:26 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
1 bite&all resistance crumbles

Kev
Keep posting!!! Good for you, you've done all the right things, just keep it in the day and get to a meeting, cause that's how many of us get through a night, quite happily, not drinking! You will be amazed at the lift you can leave...I echo Greenbug too KEEP IT IN THE DAY!!!!
Love
Cathy31
x
Old 11-21-2005, 12:39 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi Kev and welcome to SR.

I agree with Cathy about going to a meeting tonight. Have you called A.A.? I know you have the #. I think you will feel better if you can make a meeting tonight.

Also my motto "never say never". It's to much like everyone was saying. Good food for thought about that subject on this thread.

You can come here too!!! That is another way to get your mind of the drink.

I hope to see ya around and get to know you. BTW I really liked what you wrote in your first post.
Old 11-21-2005, 12:43 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi Kev and Big Welcome to SR...
Old 11-21-2005, 01:30 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Hi Kev and welcome to SR
Old 11-21-2005, 01:38 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Welcome Kev. Stick around and get some local support if you can!
JMHS
Old 11-21-2005, 02:26 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hi Kev........I liked your first post very much......direct and to the point. You don't need much more than that in my book.

Anyway, welcome and stick around cuz this place is absolutely LOADED with support and genuine caring.

I, personally, am proud of you for taking this HUGE first step......welcome to the world of recovery!!!
Old 11-21-2005, 03:45 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
kev

Thank you everybody.

So here I am hours into drinking time and not had a drink. It seems surreal and why do I keep looking at the clock? I seem to be constantly glancing at it. I know the answer, I know by now how much I should have had to drink.

The routine is the same night after night, just after eight, kid myself I'll just have a few drinks and finally round off the night, at around 2 in the morning totally plastered.

Here lies the real kicker to my situation, I actually work offshore where we are not allowed to drink so every time I come home I simply make up for lost time. This time I have been home 4 weeks and tonight is the first night I have been sober at this time of night.

This is the person my family has lived with for the last 6 years, the guy who comes home and gets plastered from the moment he walks through the door, but hey it's ok cos I stop drinking when I go back offshore.

I guess I would be the stereotypical binge drinker, but I binge for weeks.

I am due back to work next week and will try to stay sober up to that point, but the real weakness is that when I am due to come home, I feel joy, not at anything else other than the fact I am free to drink again.

Sorry to go on and I’m sure all have you have horror stories to tell but I just wanted to write this down.
Kev