Notices

hello

Old 11-17-2005, 10:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
KRC

hello

Hello,
I am new on this website and I just wanted to say hello. I have a problem that I need to fix but can't do alone. I can't talk to anyone because I have always been labeled as the "good one". Only if they knew...

Hope everyone is doing well...

Thanx
KC
Old 11-17-2005, 10:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Welcome to SR

Have a look about, read, ask questions, share, and as people come around with answers that they have found, they will reply.

You have found a great place of support and info here.
Old 11-17-2005, 10:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, KC. Glad you're here.

Addiction and alcoholism doesn't descriminate, my friend. I was always the responsible one - three degrees, great job, marriage, two sports cars in the driveway, paid my bills on time, remembered my mother on her birthday. Yet when the disease of addiction hit, I didn't stand a chance. I spiralled down fast and hard. I know the pain, the shame, of being out of control and losing everything I cared about.

But you know what? There is hope. There is a way out. There is a solution.

We do recover.

So pull up a chair, read some posts and keep reaching out. Again, welcome.

- phinny
Old 11-17-2005, 10:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
I bite.

From one "good one" to another: welcome!

You can talk to us.
Old 11-17-2005, 10:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
'55 Classic

Welcome.

I’m rather new to the site myself. (In fact, I was so surprised when someone wanted to chat a few moments ago, I couldn’t even figure out how to make the darn thing work and I think they died of old age waiting for me!)

I’ve been looking around the site a few days now and I’ve notice a lot of wonderful folks that will sure give you the support you might be looking for. It’s nice to know that we are not in this alone. So, get comfortable, belly up to the keyboard and let your fingers do the walking through some recovery.
Old 11-17-2005, 10:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi KRC,
I can relate to what you said about being the "good one".
Addiction took me to some horrible places-- places that I never thought I would ever get to. But, there is hope and there is recovery!!

I am glad that you found us here at this wonderful corner of the web. Stick around and keep reaching out. Support is right at your fingertips.

Hugs,
Cheryl
Old 11-17-2005, 10:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
KRC

I feel like i am in jail - can't get out
Old 11-17-2005, 10:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KRC
I feel like i am in jail - can't get out
You can break free of this. Believe that with all of your heart. I didn't think that I could ever be free, but I have 37 days today. That is a miracle to me.

You can do it!
Old 11-17-2005, 10:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
KRC

I have to change and will for myself. I am always worried about everyone else and what they think of me. I need to do this for me...right?
Old 11-17-2005, 10:40 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
KRC

did you do it by yourself or did you get help?
Old 11-17-2005, 10:42 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yes. When we do for us and take it serious, we do better.

No need to feel you are in jail

There is hope, help, and support, all around you.
Old 11-17-2005, 10:44 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
KRC

what steps are u talking about - where can i read them?
Old 11-17-2005, 10:50 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

The 12 steps used in recovey programs such as AA and NA.

They start with... I admit I have a problem with....
and then they go on, guiding us how to fix our problem.

Not sure what sticky post may have them but if you read the sticky posts (posts that say sticky at the top of most boards) they may be listed there.
Old 11-17-2005, 10:57 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

These are the steps that people will use, with a sponsor, at a NA meeting.
They are located in the basic text of the NA book and are posted in someones post on the narcotics board, under the heading...How It Works.

If you want what we have to offer, and are willing to make the effort to get it, then you are ready to take certain steps. These are the principles that made our recovery possible.

1. We admitted that we were powerless over our addiction, that our lives had become unmanageable.

2. We came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.

3. We made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God as we understood Him.

4. We made a searching and fearless moral inventory of ourselves.

5. We admitted to God, to ourselves, and to another human being the exact nature of our wrongs.

6. We were entirely ready to have God remove all these defects of character.

7. We humbly ask Him to remove our shortcomings.

8. We mad a list of all persons we had harmed, and became willing to make amends to them all.

9. We made direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when to do so would injure them or others.

10. We continued to take personal inventory and when we were wrong promptly admitted it.

11> We sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with God as we understood Him, praying only for knowledge of His will for us and the power to carry that out.

12. Having had a spiritual awakening as a result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to addicts, and to practice these principles in all our affairs.

(How It Works as published in the Basic Text)
Old 11-17-2005, 11:01 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KRC
did you do it by yourself or did you get help?
I tried to do it alone thousands of times but I always ended up using again. Finally, I just surrendered to win and I started going to meetings such as AA and NA. These meetings are helping tremendously. The fellowship of being among people who understand is simply beautiful beyond words.

Recovery is about more than just quitting alcohol/drugs. One must change themselves and what is on the inside. Recovery is a beautiful journey though.
Old 11-17-2005, 11:37 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
'55 Classic

I think everyone of us can relate to what you mean. Although I had more problems than just alcohol, (prescription drugs, an eating disorder, and life in general…) the AA program ended up being my “bridge to normal living.” I was always thought of to be the good girl in my family and circle of friends. But we are as sick as our secrets and I kept mine so well that no one even realized I had a problem until I told them. But once my addiction overwhelmed me and I had hit that coldest, darkest, loneliest place on earth I finally found a safe harbor so that sanity could reenter my life. I discovered a way to stop drinking and be happy about it. Contented sobriety.

Below are the Twelve Steps as listed in Chapter 5 of the “Big Book” of Alcoholics Anonymous.

The 12 Steps of Alcoholics Anonymous

Here a re the steps we took, which are suggested as a program of recovery:

1. We admitted we were powerless over alcohol, that our lives had become unmanageable.
2. Came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.
3. Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God as we understood Him.
4. Made a searching and fearless moral inventory of ourselves.
5. Admitted to God, to ourselves, and to another human being the exact nature of our wrongs.
6. Were entirely ready to have God remove all these defects of character.
7. Humbly asked Him to remove our shortcomings.
8. Made a list of all persons we had harmed, and became willing to make amends to them all.
9. Made direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when to do so would injure them or others.
10. Continued to take personal inventory and when we were wrong promptly admitted it.
11. Sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with God as we understood Him, praying only for knowledge of His will for us and the power to carry that out.
12. Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to alcoholics, and to practice these principles in all our affairs.

You are doing the right thing. Keep asking questions. I would suggest that you look into a recovery program. It can be a lifesaver. I know. It saved mine.
Old 11-18-2005, 05:55 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Thumbs up Welcome and Hello!

Good people do bad things with alcohol and/or drugs in their lives.

Getting rid of the poisons is the key for recovery.

Blessings...
Old 11-18-2005, 08:54 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Wecome to SR, KRC. I am currently working the 12 steps through the Big Book with my sponsor. What a natural high its been. It's fantastic to have faith in my life again!! Keep working with God, for He shall provide you with many of the answers that you are seeking Steve M
Old 11-18-2005, 08:57 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

(((KRC)))
Welcome Aboard... you are not alone, I believe that you will find alot of support and understanding here.