Notices

1st post, and a Q re circulation/numbness

Old 11-06-2005, 06:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

1st post, and a Q re circulation/numbness

Hello All!

I'm 38, and have fallen increasingly into the bottle progressively over the past 3-5 years. From beer, to wine (by the box), and the past couple years I cut all the pretense and just went straight for the cheap vodka.. thus my handle, "Skol"-- it's a cheap vodka, $1.99 for a half pint, $3.15 for a pint. I drink +/- a pint a day (400 ml), normally beginning by mid afternoon.. but lately it's been increasing to 1.5 pints day (600 ml). I'd buy them by the half pint (200 ml) but the last couple years I haven't stopped at just one; I'm back at the liquor store within a couple hours of the first, for another. I usually don't drink Sundays, as in Colorado we're limited to 3.2% beer on Sundays (except in bars, but I don't like bars). So this Sunday night I've decided to quit, again.

I haven't hit bottom per say, but the health affects are becoming too obvious, and disturbing, to ignore. I've been very sedentary esp that past 6-9 months, generally sitting & surfing the internet all day, getting virtually no real cardio exercise day after day. I'm a tall lanky guy, and my legs have gotten noticeably skinnier/weaker. The past month or two I've noticed some numbness in my right shin, plus a very weak ability to pull my toes upward. Tonight I took a walk to get a sandwich, and I was virtually limping. Running would have been out of the question, as that right foot just couldn't have handled the running motion. Also it'll make me a less good driver, as in moving the right foot from gas to brake, I need to pull my toes towards me to make the move back and forth between pedals. I'm not totally unable to, but the former strength to do so feels like it's been cut by 90%! When I do pull my right toes up towards me as best I'm able, they can offer almost no resistance if I take the other foot and push the right toes back down.

So I want to quit, and I want to earn my once good health back. Question is, what can I expect of this numbness problem which has appeared fairly recently? If I stay sober, and I do a treadmill/stairmaser/bike or something for 15-30 mins a day, can I expect these problems to fix themselves? I'll have to start slow, coz my cardio health is at an all time low, it doesn't take much exertion and I'm exhausted. Also the last couple weeks I've noticed episodes of mild chest pain... which I respond to by breathing deeply in hopes my heart is getting plenty of oxygen. It goes away after a couple minutes.

I like to think I'll perk up like a wilted plant after some water and sunshine, if I quit drinking and I exercise daily. But this leg/circulation thing is a really scary wake up call. All advice and experience appreciated!
Old 11-06-2005, 07:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Originally Posted by Skol
Hello All!

I haven't hit bottom per say, ....

So I want to quit, and I want to earn my once good health back. . ...

But this leg/circulation thing is a really scary wake up call. All advice and experience appreciated!
Welcome to SR

Your bottom is when you say I have had enough. I think you found it.
Maybe your thoughts are looking at someone elses bottom?

Look about, read, ask questions, and maybe you would do well by looking into AA meetings in your area. The face to face support you will find at meetings, is great.
Old 11-06-2005, 07:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

As far as your circulation, you may want to get a check up.
Could be a blood preasure issue. Mine was sky high and I never knew it till I had to go to a ER for another reason. (cut my finger)
BP the silent killer.

Aside from the drinking, you would want to get that checked.
Stopping the drinking will help cure any BP issues a lot.
Old 11-06-2005, 07:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by best
As far as your circulation, you may want to get a check up.
Could be a blood preasure issue. Mine was sky high and I never knew it till I had to go to a ER for another reason. (cut my finger)
BP the silent killer.

Aside from the drinking, you would want to get that checked.
Stopping the drinking will help cure any BP issues a lot.
Wow, thanks Best, that's a great idea. I'm going to go to the Rite-Aid right now and check my BP with their coin-op machine. I suspect you're exactly right, and I figure if I do quit, and start exercising.. I want to know what my original BP was on the day I said "enough"... for comparison, you know, after I realize that vision of "perking up like a wilted plant".

If my BP is really high, and I'm a good boy and do the sobriety/exercise thing I intend, how quick could I see a lower BP?

If my BP is high, I think I'll also buy one of those home BP-testers, and I'll monitor it daily while I recover.

Oh this is exciting!

PS- I'm still dying to know, what the prognosis is regarding the leg numbness-- and possibility of turning it around.
Old 11-06-2005, 08:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Skol,
I too had circulation problems in my legs when I quit. For exactly the same reason as you, I sat here at the PC drinking , chatting and surfing all day. I am now sober 2 years, and still have problems walking . I suggest you get to a Doc and have a check up.

Good Luck
Lee
Old 11-06-2005, 08:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Justme57
Hi Skol,
I too had circulation problems in my legs when I quit. For exactly the same reason as you, I sat here at the PC drinking , chatting and surfing all day. I am now sober 2 years, and still have problems walking . I suggest you get to a Doc and have a check up.

Good Luck
Lee
Well that's not good news.. how long after the first signs of leg/walking/numbness problems did you quit? And did you try getting more exercise?

And, congrats on the 2 years sobriety! I hope to be able to say the same.. God willing, 2 years from tonight. This leg thing is a major wake up call. After that 4 block walk to subway and back, part of it through a dirt open space where I had trouble negotiating the dips and bumps.. really scary. I used to love walking, and hiking, and biking etc.
Old 11-06-2005, 08:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yes Skol, that is what it was like for me, still is sometimes. My job involves a lot of time on my feet, and to tell you the truth, I think I had probably noticed it before I quit, but drank to cover the pain(of course lol)

I would sure get to the Doc , see what he thinks
HUGX
Lee
Old 11-06-2005, 09:32 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

High BP!

I just got back from the store, where I used their free blood pressure machine.

161 over 95 ! ! ! ! Heart 77 beats/min (I'd just walked in from the parking lot..)

Y'all might have saved my life, I feel as though I had one foot in the grave and didn't even know it.. well except the little voice which said so now and then but I'd drown it in vodka.

Next I'm going to read up on treating high BP. I also bought a little automatic home BP monitor. This has become my top priority. Dang, I have half a cheesesteak left to eat, now I aint gonna touch it.. I know it's probably bad, and I want to make it through the night.

I have no health insurance, but lets say I went to the doctor, and he said the expected: yes you've got high BP, yes you need to quit drinking and eat right and exercise (my diet's actually not bad, not into fast food, eat reasonably well but the heavy booze was my vice) what else do you think he'd recommend? I expect I can make the lifestyle changes necessary to treat my high BP, so I'd like to try that first before getting any pills for it.

I've only dated with smoking, never married it, but I do keep nicotine gum around. I can quit that too if I put my mind to it. Would nicotine delivered via gum rather than smoke have the same negative effect of the blood pressure? Any at all? I guess I'll be reading about all that next!

Even the alcohol addiction's not too far gone.. based on the once a week or so I don't drink.. the urge isn't overwhelming, and the physical withdrawl is mild and manageable.

I attribute the past few years downward spiral to not working, yet having a decent pile of money to live on, & a mild enduring depression-- which became more acute when I woke up to 911-Truth and Peak Oil. I've been in a funk about it all, as it seemed all my prior assumptions about the past and the future have needed to be redrawn.

But cutting the booze and exercising will be critical physically and mentally.. I just wish now I'd made good on my threat to do it before now when I've got this major wake up call re my health, and a limp in my step. The booze seems to have caught up with me and I just hope I can reverse the clock on the damage somewhat. Whew, thanks guys!

edit: I just took the BP with the new home gizmo. I'd been sitting here at the desk for 15 mins. 141 over 90 this time, 72 beats/min. That's weird. I know BP can swing widely but.. well I've got a few hours of reading to do, I'm really amped up about this "crisis" now, soo...
Old 11-07-2005, 12:14 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

BP top number over 135 is when they start calling it high.
Smoking, drinking, high fat diet, weight, lack of exercise, improper sleep, inherited, are all things that can add or cause high BP. Nicotine gum is better then smoking but nicotine still isn't good for you.
High colesteral diet is not good either.
The not drinking, not smoking, and exercise is the best cure.
Still I would say... go get a check up.
Old 11-07-2005, 04:26 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Skol,

Congrats on seeing you're headed in the wrong direction. Please don't fool yourself by thinking your drinking isn't "too far gone" because you don't drink one day a week. When your injesting 1 and ahalf pints of cheap vodka the other six days you are long gone!!! Good luck buddy!!
Old 11-07-2005, 06:26 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Because alcohol is filling, it displaces more nourishing foods in the diet, causing malnutrition and specifically causing thiamin deficiency. So the heavy drinker is much less likely to get even the usual dietary amount of thiamin, at a time when she needs much more. Add to this the fact that alcohol destroys the liver and brain gradually, but profoundly. This damage increases the need for nutrients to repair the body at a time when the drinker is eating fewer and fewer good foods. Still worse, alcohol causes poor absorption and poor utilization of what B-vitamins there are. Alcohol can literally destroy folic acid.

A deficiency of thiamin, just thiamin, produces the following symptoms, according to the respected textbook, Nutrition and Diet Therapy:

Gastrointestinal: anorexia, indigestion, severe constipation, gastric atony, and insufficient HCl secretion. All the above result mostly from a lack of energy to the GI tract cells; no thiamin, no energy, no function.

Cardiovascular: dilation of peripheral blood vessels (edema), weakened heart muscle, and heart failure.

Neurological: diminished reflex response, reduced alertness, fatigue, apathy. Continued deficiency produces damage or degeneration to myelin sheaths (fatty nerve cell insulation material). If you see an obvious tie-in to M.S., you are right. A lack of thiamin causes increased nerve irritation, pain, prickly sensations, deadening sensations, and if unchecked, paralysis. Thiamin-deficiency nerve damage can result in the DT's and hallucinations.

All this, mind you, from a deficiency of just one vitamin.

The <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">US</st1:place></st1:country-region> thiamin RDA of a milligram or two is not even remotely close to being enough. A very strong case can be made for 25 to 65 mg per day even for non-alcoholics. The heavy drinker's poor diet plus ensuing alcohol damage plus increased thiamin need proportional to carbohydrate intake points to an optimum B-1 intake of several hundred milligrams a day.

The 1975 MRCA study of about 2000 households for a full year showed that, of adults 19 or older, over 65% got less than the RDA of thiamin. This means that half to two thirds of Americans probably are thiamin deficient even if they do not drink at all. Thiamin is found in almost all natural foods, but in very tiny amounts. Precious few sober Americans, let alone alcoholics, eat quantities of the whole grains and legumes (peas, beans and lentils) that are modest food sources.

Therefore, vitamin B-1 supplements are essential. And to get maximum results, additional nutrients must also be provided in abundance through supplementation.

Which ones, specifically?

1. Vitamin C to saturation (on the order of 10,000 to 20,000 mg per day and more). Beverage alcohol (ethanol) is chemically just one carbon and two hydrogens either way from methanol (windshield washer fluid) and propanol (rubbing alcohol), both of which are poisons. In quantity, vitamin C is an antitoxin. High doses of vitamin C chemically neutralizes the toxic breakdown products of alcohol metabolism. And, vitamin C increases the liver's ability to reverse the fatty build-up so common in alcoholics.

2. B-complex (comprising 50mg of each of the major B-vitamins, 6 times daily). Extra thiamin and extra niacin may be helpful. Unlike drugs, the B-vitamins work best together.

3. L-Glutamine, (about two or three thousand milligrams). Decreases physiological cravings for alcohol.

4. Lecithin (2 to 4 tablespoons daily). Provides inositol and choline, related to the B-complex. Lecithin also helps mobilize fats out of the liver.

5. Chromium (at least 200 to perhaps 400 mcg chromium polynicotinate daily). Chromium greatly reduces carbohydrate mis-metabolism, and greatly helps control blood sugar levels. Many, if not most, alcoholics are hypoglycemic.

6. A good high-potency multi-vitamin, multi-mineral supplement as well, containing magnesium (400 mg) and the antioxidants carotene and d-alpha tocopherol.
Old 11-07-2005, 07:38 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to SR!

The reason you had little withdrawal effects on your sober day... the alcohol was still in your system,
It takes 3/4 or so days to leave.

Glad to see you trying for a healthy lifestyle...Blessings
Old 11-07-2005, 08:57 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks for the advice and encouragement all. Yesterday was no problem not drinking, I even breezed right past the 3.2 beer at the grocery store last night, not even tempted. But then I was anxious about this "sudden" crisis.. and once I saw those high BP numbers, I felt like I'd just got the news that someone died. But Saturday was a 1.5 pint day, so you're prolly right about it still being in my system. Today will be the big test of physical withdrawal difficulty. In the past months, after I'd take Sundays off, thus by Monday I was the most clear headed and sober as I am all week... and sure enough, there was the urge to start earlier (closer to noon?) on Mondays, and starting earlier categorically meant drinking more before the day's over (1.5 - 2 pints). So, my no-drinking Sundays routine would just seem to slingshot back on Mondays. Not every time, but maybe half of Mondays would end up being extra heavy.

But I'm optomistic. The recent numbness/limp in my right leg, and learning of the high BP-- it's like a bombshell to my historic good health I'd taken for granted. Plus, I'm truly sick of the whole loss of physical and mental vitality. Any day I'd drink more than a half pint, I knew it the next morning. And when I drank over a pint, I'd know it, and regret it.. spending the first half of the day just recovering, drinking lots of water & juice, taking a nap etc; only to start over by mid-late afternoon when I felt better.

Optomistic though, coz 2 years ago I went through a heavy period, and decided one day enough's enough, I knew where the slippery slope I was on lead, and I quit cold turkey. Also went to the gym several days a week. This lasted for about 2 months. After that, I felt I'd proven something, that I was in control.. so I decided that, looking forward, IF I worked out at the gym that day, I could indulge in a 24 oz beer that night with dinner. Well this went on for a week or so, and rationalizations etc started, I'd get a half pint instead of a 24 oz beer, the gym visits went by the wayside.. for a couple months I took pride in capping my consumption at a half pint daily which I wouldn't buy until >9pm.. but that also slid over time. But the moral of the story is, I believe I've got that in me again, and once I quit (yesterday!) the trick is, NEVER fudge. I have the willpower to quit cold turkey but the BEAST is what it is, I have a weakness for it, well you all know the rap.

I'm going to go buy some of those vitamins now,
Old 11-07-2005, 10:27 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Good luck on your journey to sobriety Skol, I hope you keep up your optimistic outlook.
You may find in the first week that you feel like you've been run over by a truck as your body adjusts to it's new regime, keep up your nutrition & vitamins. I am not an alcoholic but my partner is; during his initial detox and after it he kept up with a programme of optimum nutrition + vitamins, he is doing exceptionally well.
Old 11-07-2005, 11:49 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hey Skol,

Welcome to the site. I'm also fairly new here. Your leg problems sound a little too familiar. I've been having some myself. Have'nt drank vodka for years, but had my share of it. I'm at 7 weeks alcohol free and feeling better every day. Still have leg issues, but also have other areas to consider. After heavy drinking, I too had BP problems.

This site is very helpful, but may I suggest AA meetings. They can be very useful in many ways. For myself, finding something to do with the time I spent drinking is just one of them. Talking with people face to face that have "been there" is good too. One thing we are taught is to avoid being too Hungry, Angry, Lonely, or Tired. H.A.L.T. There is alot ot truth to it. It is helpful also to have someone that understands, you can reach quickly, in a times of temptation. You will be tempted because it is a part of our disease. Ethyl was wispering to me last Sat. real hard. She told me I'd earned a beer, I deserved it. Besides, it would taste sooooo good. Don't belive her. I have failed at controled drinking for at least 20 years. A meeting is great at place to be at these times.

It took me many trips to the tables and quite a few years before I realized this. Going to a meeting does'nt make you less of a person, it makes you a better one. There are many aspects to quiting besides just not drinking. You can find the Big Book on line (Free) to check it out. SR is a great place to start also.

I wish you well in your journey to a new life,
With love and respect to all,
Arn
Old 11-07-2005, 12:12 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by susane1408
Which ones, specifically? [/size]

1. Vitamin C to saturation (on the order of 10,000 to 20,000 mg per day and more). Beverage alcohol (ethanol) is chemically just one carbon and two hydrogens either way from methanol (windshield washer fluid) and propanol (rubbing alcohol), both of which are poisons. In quantity, vitamin C is an antitoxin. High doses of vitamin C chemically neutralizes the toxic breakdown products of alcohol metabolism. And, vitamin C increases the liver's ability to reverse the fatty build-up so common in alcoholics.

2. B-complex (comprising 50mg of each of the major B-vitamins, 6 times daily). Extra thiamin and extra niacin may be helpful. Unlike drugs, the B-vitamins work best together.

3. L-Glutamine, (about two or three thousand milligrams). Decreases physiological cravings for alcohol.

4. Lecithin (2 to 4 tablespoons daily). Provides inositol and choline, related to the B-complex. Lecithin also helps mobilize fats out of the liver.

5. Chromium (at least 200 to perhaps 400 mcg chromium polynicotinate daily). Chromium greatly reduces carbohydrate mis-metabolism, and greatly helps control blood sugar levels. Many, if not most, alcoholics are hypoglycemic.

6. A good high-potency multi-vitamin, multi-mineral supplement as well, containing magnesium (400 mg) and the antioxidants carotene and d-alpha tocopherol.
I just blew $60 on a bunch of supplements, which plus the $50 I spent on that home BP monitor last night, means there's no turning back now, I've sunk real $ into this endeavor to sober up and get physically well again (well okay it's cheaper than in-patient detox, as many of you know!). Hey I just took the BP again, 128/81-- so I'm a little bewildered by these wide BP swings from test to test. Guess I'll just be happy not to see last night's 161/95 again.

Got vitamins B-complex and C, and Lecithin today. I already had a multivitamin bottle around, so I'll expect to be getting plenty of the key vitamins during this detox. I just hope my pee isn't neon orange,

Also got an interesting detox product called "Ultimate Cleanse" made by Nature's Secret. Came with 2 sets of tablets, one is "multi-herb" and the other is "multi-fiber". So while I trust that whatever digestive tract cleansing this does won't hurt me, I passed over other specific "liver cleanse" products in choosing this one. Frankly this was a "Vitamin Cottage" store and all the choices were making my head spin so I grabbed the Ultimate Cleanse and moved along. Does anyone have experience with the dozens of liver-cleanser herb cocktails? I guess I'm a natural skeptic when it comes to the fantastic benefit claims these herbal supplement manufactures make.

I'm going to get a nice walk in this afternoon. I think I'll be fine today sans booze.. whatever weirdness I feel, I'll just attribute to the battery of pills I'll be popping all day for the next month or so,
Old 11-07-2005, 12:29 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Skol,
Having contracted Hep C around '82 I am very interested in liver function. Esp. now that some symptoms may be showing up. From what I have read the liver cleansers work well, so well that enzime levels can be watched dropping over a period of time. Distilled water is also highly recommended, fortunately I have been drinking it for many years (when not drinking alcohol)

The quick drop in your upper BP level is about what mine does also
Best of luck,
Arn
Old 11-07-2005, 12:32 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Can I just add Skol, start low on the Vit C for a few days; taking High Doses too quickly will give you the runs
Old 11-07-2005, 12:39 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I would also hold off on the fibre pills until your body has a chance to assimilate the other vitamins. The cleansing pills have a good combination of ingredients that will benefit your system.
Old 11-07-2005, 01:10 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Chy

What to expect re the numbness? IF you quit. No numbness. Took a couple of months for mine to go away. Sounds like your malnurished amongst other things. If you want to restore your health you know what you have to do. If you don't you know if you can imagine it get's much, much worse....to the point you may not be able to recoup 100%.

...as for the leg issues, 2 1/2 years later at night I still have problems called RLS, Restless Leg Syndrome.. more info on google. Working out very hard helps a lot.