Little meltdown..

Old 11-04-2005, 11:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Little meltdown..

Thought I was going to be ok with trying to find a new contract..My current contract expires 12/15...Went out to Monster.com yesterday to see if there were any interesting new jobs out there...

Went from ok..to homeless in my brain in no time..Threw myself a damn good pity party for about 5 hours last night..Started to **** and moan to myself (and my boyfriend) about how I will never EVER have a job I like in my life..boy I was pathetic..

It comes down to that I still am working for $$$ - not doing something I love..I really want to do a career change - get out of the IT industry into a more helping profession..It's scary because I make good money today but I'm not happy doing it..

my true self is giving me a hard time about this (working just for a paycheck)...I know I need to take it one day at a time, I know I need to take the right actions to setting up my own life coaching practice but that little brat inside of me wants it yesterday! And if I give into that fear (like I did last night) I'll never allow myself to be happy and take risks..

Just felt a little overwhelmed yesterday..

So today, I got up, read about fear in "Courage to Change", wrote in my journal, wrote a gratitude list, dusted myself off and went to the job I still have today...

I have to trust in God's Plan (even after the meltdowns) that I will be able to start my own business..

The fear is still there, but I've been praying for god to remove it..My HP has always provided in the past..
Old 11-04-2005, 11:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Have faith that good things will come your way. Maybe it's not today but who knows what tomorrow will bring.
Old 11-04-2005, 11:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Acting not reacting

You are doing what you need to do to get through this. Your ability to see the light is a great help!
Keep on doing what you're doing, sounds like you are in a healthy place!
Hey, working a job you love for peanuts is highly overrated anyway!
One day at a time!
Old 11-04-2005, 11:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

(((Minx)))

How about retraining as a counsellor? I think you would be great. And it would build on a lot of your existing skills.
Old 11-04-2005, 12:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thought about going back to become a counsellor but decided I would rather be a coach..Coaching helps people deal with their present goals..

so that said..I know I have the coaching skills (don't need to go back to school for that)..I can get certified or not..

I have the business skills (have my MBA)..

What I need to work on is my sales skills to get clients..

I guess I just need to get off my butt and work on this more..Or charge people that I am already coaching for free!
Old 11-04-2005, 12:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
too much on my plate!!

I agree with minnie. How about getting your masters in social work? You could work as a counselor, and would be such a valuable asset to the community!!
Old 11-04-2005, 12:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

There's your plan, then! Marketing training. Once you get going, word of mouth is all you need.

It's tough at this stage, I know. I'm at the same kind of crossrods but with not as many quals behind me.
Old 11-04-2005, 12:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Minnie -

So what's your future occupation then? Maybe we can help motivate other - keep accountability going?
Old 11-04-2005, 12:38 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

No idea.

Circus clown?
Old 11-04-2005, 12:42 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

i love that you came here and told us about your hissy fit and then about the constructive things you did to counter the "funk"! i have no doubt that you WILL someday be doing what you love AND making money! thanks for sharing!
Old 11-04-2005, 12:44 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

minnie - - silly girl!
Old 11-04-2005, 12:54 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Cwohio - Thanks..I guess I'll coming and posting for accountability..

Minnie - you'd be a great coach or counsellor as well..Ever thought about it? (don't know what your other business was..)
Old 11-04-2005, 01:31 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Heya Minx,

Glad you got out of your funk. Amazing how well the program works when we work it.

Lessee, IT skills, people skills, counseling skills, coaching skills... hmmm

You could _teach_ IT classes for big corporations. You could be a "life coach" for the rich and famous (that's very popular in L.A., dunno 'bout Arizona). You could manage a real estate office (realtors _suck_ at computer skills, they always need managers) You could do insurance billing for a doctors office (get to help lots of people in very important ways doing that) Manage a senior citizens facility. Manage a physical rehab facility. (Most anywhere you look there's a need for managers who can do more than just spell "computer" :-)

Is it IT in general you're tired of, or just the particular outfit you're working with? Cuz you could work IT for a hospital.

Mike :-)
Old 11-04-2005, 01:40 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hey Mike,

I really want to get out of Corporate America (and yes IT) and work one-on-one with people..that's where the coaching comes in..help people set their goals and achieve them..

In particular I'm thinking my niche is expats..since I've lived abroad and I know the difficulties for your typical America who moves overseas..

So today I took some action: I joined the ICF (international coaches federation), I ordered new business cards with a new email address and tonight I'm going to work on a business plan..I guess if I can write it down, it will help me clarify how to go about it..

And yes..taking action always makes me feel better..
Old 11-04-2005, 02:51 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Heya Minx,

Originally Posted by Minx1969
... I really want to get out of Corporate America (and yes IT) ...
Been there, done that. Sucks big time. Glad you're getting out.

... I'm thinking my niche is expats..since I've lived abroad and I know the difficulties for your typical America who moves overseas....
Sounds great. You can be a consultant and charge 100 bucks an hour for your services. Go for it ;-)

... So today I took some action: ...
Way to go. I know I could never live outside the US, I'd _die_ without Starbucks

Old 11-04-2005, 03:57 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Mike, we have Starbucks over here you know!
Old 11-04-2005, 03:58 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

i'll have a grande mocha please!
Old 11-04-2005, 04:26 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by minnie
Mike, we have Starbucks over here you know!
You do!!! wooo hoooo!!

The land of dragons and castles has Starbucks. What could be more perfect than that? Talk about heaven for a codie with a rescuer complex *lol*

All I need now is a fair maiden in need of rescuing.... hmmmm.... um.... minnie?

Mike
p.s. Have sword, will travel.
Old 11-04-2005, 04:59 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Mike, hon, I ain't in need of rescuing. SR has helped teach me that....

p.s. not sure we actually have dragons here either. At least, I've not seen one.
Old 11-04-2005, 05:22 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Mike, hon, I ain't in need of rescuing. SR has helped teach me that....
phooey! Another great plan down the tubes. Well.... how about a cup of java at your local Starbucks instead?

p.s. not sure we actually have dragons here either. At least, I've not seen one.
Sure you do. They winter in Loch Ness, everybody knows that :-) We even have some skeletons of them over at the Natural History Museum in Area 51 just north of Las Vegas. I was just there last month and was lucky enough to have Elvis give a tour.

[ polishing sword and spurs... anybody have a Clydesdale I can borrow? ]