Notices

No motivation

Old 11-02-2005, 03:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

No motivation

Do any of you suffer from a lack of motivation? I am having trouble finding motivation to get stuff done including the most important things associated with day to day living. I just walked down to the office to pay my rent and that took some effort for me. My apartment needs to be cleaned and I just can't get myself up to do it.
I don't know what I can do to get over this lack of motivation but I hope that it all comes back to me soon. Then I can have a nice shiny apartment.
Old 11-02-2005, 03:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
"The BAND" workshop ROCKS!

Yeah, my place still looks like an alcoholic still lives here. I barely get the trash taken out, haven't folded laundery for like 8 loads, it's piled up everywhere, clean, but not folded. I run the vacuum about once every week, that's it.

I hate my life today.....sorry that's not much help AH. Just living alone sucks so bad. I haven't even cooked for a month, just eat junk food or frozen pizzas. I need a maid.
Old 11-02-2005, 03:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

AngelHugs

Just do what you can and try to be patient with yourself. Maybe it would be a good idea to set one or two goals every day and then you would feel like you were accomplishing things you wanted to get done.
Old 11-02-2005, 04:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes, I can totally relate. Often lately my bf comes home to find me in exactly the same position on the couch as I was when he left, lol. I would wait until about an hour before he got home, quick do up the days dishes, and then resume the position. I still have days like this, but now I alternate between the couch and the computer, lol! Don't feel alone! It's a phase.
Old 11-02-2005, 04:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

Yes, I have serious problems with lack of motivation. In fact, I'm still putting off going out to dinner even though I'm hungry.

One thing I find helps is to make a list of what I need to do. I then break the list down into many little or baby steps. Then as I do each step I check it off.

For example tonight my list looks like this:

walk to store
buy gatorade at grocery store
buy hamburger across the street
walk home

When I am ready to leave, I remind myself I am walking to the store and don't worry myself about buying the gatorade or hamburger.

My lack of motivation is probably also due in part to anxiety and it gets worse when I am clean.
Old 11-02-2005, 04:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Think Happy Thoughts

I totally understand what youre saying...i still need my mom to wake me up so i can make it to work or school in time and if it werent for her...nothing would ever get done...i feel real lazy sometimes cuz it takes so much effort just to get out of bed let alone to have to do the dishes or clean something...i know what you mean by all that!!! what ive been doing is starting to do some yoga ( which i planned to start doing last month but i didnt get to doing it until last night!!! ) and being able to get that done has given me somewhat of an energy boost...also taking some time to relax like a candle lit bath with music relaxes tense and tierd muscles and puts you in the mood to get things done because your a bit more relaxed...
Old 11-02-2005, 05:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yep, I gotta jump in here and say I totally relate.
Some days are worse than others, but sometimes I can go 2 or3 days without leaving the house, (or the couch/bed) I can't even get the motivation to feed myself.

Today, for example, I cleaned my cat's litter box. That's it. Literally. Rest of the day was spent lying in bed or couch, sorta watching TV, sorta just staring into space.
But, I do snap out of it some days. It usually starts slow, I'll get up and start sweeping the floor or looking thru the stack of bills and then just jump in and get it all done.

It's weird b/c I KNOW that I feel so much better when I'm moving ~but I just there thinking about it....

I think Yoga os just fab! Me and my mom went a few times and I loved it. Being broke, I did buy a matt and a tape, but have yet to get off my butt and use it.

Here's to hoping tommorrow is a better day for us all!!

Much Love:SS
Old 11-02-2005, 06:23 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
"The BAND" workshop ROCKS!

THANK GOD I'm not alone in this one. And some of you are girls who won't clean, good I don't feel so bad now LOL
Old 11-02-2005, 10:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Oh thank the Lord for this thread, I am suffering from a bad case of laziness, Shestruggles, I now exactly what you mean about the watching tv staring into space thing ive been doing that for the last hour.
My problem is I MUST exercise or I will gain weight in a hurry, I run 2 miles a day, and at night I do my crunches/pushups, that is a real effort but I gotta do it or I will be a blimp.
I am keeping my impulsive eating in check.
Old 11-02-2005, 11:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
A picture's worth a 1000 words

Hi guys...i've severly struggled with all this for the past 14 months when i realized i was a rapid cycling bipolar and going through my second major depression in my life....and sorry to say, but some of you sound nearly as bad as I have been. Although at one point it got so bad that i would have dehydrated if my mom wouldn't have came over and fixed me a glass of water. (and thankfully she fixed me a sandwhich while she was there or else i wouldn't have ate that day at all)

I feel lazy all the time, but it's the nature of my illnesses. Sometimes I get a good day or two when I go hypomanic and can tackle the cleaning and such, but rest of the time i'm good to get up and check the mail on the way to go potty.

Anyway...just wanted to say i relate and that i'm suppose to be working on a contest project that's technically due tomorrow, yet here i am on the computer instead... (i've already missed the deadline and the late deadline and the late,late deadline and if i don't get it mailed off tomorrow the girl said forget it....so i somehow gotta make myself finish it.)
Old 11-03-2005, 04:13 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Its easier to do things than not to do them!
Old 11-03-2005, 04:15 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 51anna
AngelHugs

Just do what you can and try to be patient with yourself. Maybe it would be a good idea to set one or two goals every day and then you would feel like you were accomplishing things you wanted to get done.
Thats exactly what I do!
Old 11-03-2005, 04:18 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Getting Restored To Sanity

I go in and out with bursts of motivation. I guess the more interesting something is the more motivation I have. I don't really lack motivation, just poor judgement on what is important. I need to work on my priorities more than motivation, but they both intertwine.
Old 11-03-2005, 05:40 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Red Hot Chili Pepper

I can so relate. I'm a receptionist at work and I have literally hundreds of dollars in fabric to make, I don't know, receptionist-type clothing? I can't even turn on the machine. And that's a biggie. I haven't cooked in close to a year (except an odd meal or so) My husband does the laundry, and it never, ever gets folded or hung up. It's bad. I consider it suffering from a severe lack of confidence in myself. Bills don't get paid, and it's not that I don't have the money, it's just too hard to write a check and mail it. It's painful.

Kelly
Old 11-03-2005, 05:43 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Red Hot Chili Pepper

Has anyone else checked out Flylady? www.flylady.com I have found this really helpful.

Oh... skip the advertisements. Those weren't there before. There is nothing you need to buy --all is on the website.

<--- what is this bunny foo foo icon for?

Kelly
Old 11-03-2005, 04:32 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I am so glad that I am not the only one going through this. It is really hard but I guess we can just set tiny small goals to work for.

Tonight, I picked up some stuff in the kitchen that had been laying up in there for awhile. I had soda cans and paper plates all over the counter and I finally put them where they belong instead of looking at them. That was a step.

My goal for tomorrow is to pay a few bills and maybe clean one of the bathrooms.

Anyone else want to set a goal for tomorrow? Even just one thing.
Old 11-03-2005, 05:18 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
REZ

Fear is at the root of all of my character defects, including laziness. If I having trouble getting motivated that I know I need to do, I have to ask myself, "what am I afraid of?" Once I see how fear is in some way controlling me, it helps me to get started on what I need to do. One of my big problems is that I am afraid of taking on a job that seems too big. The way I deal with is to take on the job one piece at a time. If I can just do something, anything, however small, I have made a step in the right direction.
Old 11-04-2005, 02:23 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
a hole new life

Motivation, its something to do with the car industry, isnt it?
Going back to the armchair to have a little knap ZZZZZZZZZZ
Old 11-04-2005, 04:33 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
NOT EVEN 1 CLUB!!

Great thread!! As you can see you are not alone in this!!

When I was drinking, I was superwoman!! I ran around the house like crazy doing things. This was a HUGE justification for my drinking. I did this and this and this, now I deserve a drink or 12!! LOL

Now with over a year sober, I still have this problem. Thanks for reminding me I need to work on this. Our bills don't get paid, heck I just did the dishes 2 days ago and look at this mess!! ((Roadie)) every morning I go down stairs and dig through clean laundry to find clothes for me and the kids!! EVERYDAY!! You'd think I could just bring them up and put them away.

When I'm away from the house, I want to be at home. If I was at home I could be getting so much done. The problem is I don't do any of it when I am at home!!

So here's my take on this. We seem to have an all or nothing type personality. If we can't get everything done, then we just don't do anything at all. Setting small goals is definately the way to go!! My sponsor told me, if I wan't to clean out a dresser, just pick one drawer.

We use to have a thread here where we listed our accomplishments in a day. Even the littlest things, just to show us we did do something!! I think we should try that!!

Just don't be to hard on yourself!! Everyday that we stay sober we have accomplished something BIG!!

Hugs,
Missy
Old 11-04-2005, 04:51 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I made some attempt to clean up one thing in the apartment last night. Got that done....it was just a small thing though but that was my baby step.
Today I will try to do a little bit more..... remembering to take the baby steps and
that will lead me to the big prize.