Notices

Son coming home from rehab

Old 11-02-2005, 08:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Son coming home from rehab

Hi

I am looking for some thoughts, guidance on my son's return home this saturday from rehab. I saw him this past Sunday and he looks and sounds great. He has a job lined up (working in cemetery - temp seasonal position) for the month of november till he finds something PT when he starts college in January. I just called and talked to the guy who runs the rehab - he said my son is doing great but wishes he would stay another 2-4 weeks at least. He will be there a total of 4 wks. when he leaves. My son seems to have a plan to attend meetings, etc. Not like the last time he came home after signing himself out of a rehab in FL after 25 days - 3 days shy of completing the program. He still had a crappy attitude and went right back to his old ways. He did not have any plan. This time he really seems good. I even tried to get under his skin talking about the rules etc that will be in place when he gets home when I saw him and he said he totally understood. That was a first.

I guess I just want someone to tell me that it is possible for him to come home and continue to work on his recovery. I want to remain positive and keep the hope alive that he can do it. I hate feeling negative - I was feeling so good after the visit I had with him. Oh well, thanks for letting me vent.

Thanks.
Lynn
Old 11-02-2005, 08:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It is possible for him to come home and work on his recovery. Make sure to let him know you support him and are proud of him. He will be OK
Old 11-02-2005, 09:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
In Paradise!

Exclamation

While the intentions I am sure are good, the decease is cunning, baffling and powerful. I would make him very accountable for everything he does. Treat it like a business deal, the less emotion the better. Personally I would get some kind of contract together and make him follow it. Get signed meeting slips etc...

In a controlled environment most all people sound and look good, but once they are up to their own devices the decease has this way of making decisions. The job thing sounds good, my opinion would be just do the pt job, and stay focused on meetings and his recovery. I have relapsed many times when I was "looking for a job" strange, I thought that bar was hiring, yeah right!

Set boundaries, for you and him and enforce them! No suprises. Work with his counselor on this contract before he leaves rehab.

my 2 cents

Good luck.