Notices

Detox? Cold turkey? What's better?

Old 11-02-2005, 06:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Exclamation Detox? Cold turkey? What's better?

Im on my second day of sobriety. I have been drinking a 12 pack of beer just about, every day off and on for about 3 yrs. I have heard about coming off of this the "safe" way meaning in detox or meds. What do ya'll think? Am I taking a huge risk here doing it on my own? I am currently in I.O.P.intensive outpatient treatment for my addiction. I am so scared that I will fail yet again! I would appreciate ANY advice or whatever you guys can give me!
Old 11-02-2005, 08:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Peace begins with a smile

Welcome...

I think it's best to talk to the poeple at your IOP treatment center about whether you should be in detox or not. Use the fear of failing as fuel for recovery. Maybe try to hit an AA meeting?
Old 11-02-2005, 08:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Dreamlike...Now

Pennchik,
Talk to your Dr about the detox. You may need a couple meds to keep you from severe withdrawal symptoms.

Try to hit an AA meeting. Talk to some of the people there....ask for help....tell them you really want to stop the insanity. There are other recovery programs too....AA is where I found peace...but it is not the only way.

Peace and Love
Old 11-02-2005, 08:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Well....

we have a forum here Alcoholism.

Go there and read the top post..."Quitting what to expect"

It is always wise to see your doctor before you quit.
Old 11-02-2005, 03:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Well,...when I tried to quit cold turkey, (one of the seven times).....my heart stopped in the ER. This is a proven fact -----> "1 out of 1000 people die from a heroine withdrawal. ,.....but one out of only 33 people die from alcohol withdrawal."

Thats true. If you drank enough where your internal organs now depend upon it, then I'd say get your a55 to a detox NOW. Because in about 4 or 5 days, you will wish to God you had. Wait til the hallucinations start. The no sleep. The DT's. Why even BOTHER to wait to see if these things happen to you? By the time they do, if you're alone, you're screwed.

I think more often than not,....we alcoholics say we want to try getting sober "on our own" ....but that is just the lazy, unmotivated, boozer in us talking. We dont want to put forth the effort. We want immediate gratification without the WORK involved.
Old 11-02-2005, 03:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Detox would be the best and safest option for you.
Old 11-02-2005, 07:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You can die quitting if you have a weak constitution. I did it cold turkey and know plenty of people who did the same. If you are a frail type of person, I would see a
doctor. If you are relatively strong and have made it to day 2 so far I think you will
be ok doing it on your own. The best thing is to keep in contact with someone just in case something happens. Quitting is going to be a b!tch, but after 3-4 days it gets better.