Notices

Hello everyone

Old 10-29-2005, 04:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello everyone

Hello everyone my name is mel I am 25 years old and I have been sober since july 4th 2004. I am very proud of what I have done and who I am becoming. However when I decided to get clean I lost most of my so called "friends" . I just started going out again and we talk about the old times and it tempts me to go back to that but I dont want to drop all of my friends. I dont think I am better than them because I used to be where they are now. I have not even been to a NA meeting cause I am affraid I will go back to the drugs. I am not sure if it matters but I was addicted to meth on and off for 4 years. Do I try to help my friends? or do I just move on? I am so torn. I love m friends and miss them dearly...
Old 10-29-2005, 04:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
In Memory Of

Hi Rnbw and welcome. I'm sorry, I haveto say it sounds like you are setting yourself up for a relapse. Just being honest with you.I would stay off the tracks if I dont want to get hit with the train.NA is a great fellowship, with many sober and clean addicts. A great way of living,plus a great way to make new friends.I have nothing in commen with the "friends" I usto use with.They will get me high before I get them clean. Just my opinion!
Bless,Trish
Old 10-29-2005, 04:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
ASH

Hi Rn, welcome to SR, you will find lots of support and information here.

Congrats on your sobriety, you need to hold on to that for dear life!

Only you can decide about your friends,
for me, at first I kept many of my friends, but it got so annoying to be around them when I was sober and they were not that our differences just made us drift apart. It was really a two way street, people who are drinking, or whatever, want to be around others doing the same, a sober person is a real buzz kill, (as I was told many times) :couchpota ouch...

Maybe try some AA or NA meeting in your area, or other venues and try and meet others with interests more similar to your healthy sober lifestyle.

Glad your here at SR and keep coming back
Old 10-29-2005, 04:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome to SR...
Many of us find that when we get sober that we have to change just about everything in our lives.
You do have a lot to be proud of and are moving in a great direction. It does not sound like going back and being around your old friends is the best idea.
Maybe put some more effort into meeting new people, places and things.
Looking forward to having you around.
Kel
Old 10-29-2005, 04:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Think Happy Thoughts

hey there...i was also addicted to meth and i know exactly how you feel...when i visited my friends though the temptation grew and at one point i relapsed...i know how hard it is to let go...but as you should know meth is very hard to let go and your friends may not be ready to let go...i think you shouldnt hang out with your old friends as much...it may not end up good
Old 10-29-2005, 04:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR.
If helping your friends threatens all the work you have done to attain sobriety, then you might want to consider letting them go....
In the end, only you can make that decision.
I know you said you love and miss your friends, so think with your head, not your heart.
Once they really see the difference in you, if they want help they will probably come to you for seeking it.
Stay strong, getting clean is the hardest part, you made it through that, so keep moving forward.
Bfree
Old 10-29-2005, 07:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I was told in early sobriety that I had to change my people places and things. I didn't get it right away and ended up drinking within a few days. I understand about missing your friends but what is more important really? In the long run?

You've been sober a month longer than I have and I don't know about you but this second year has been way more challenging, for me, than the first one was. I have dealt with things and have been afraid I was going to relapse. Meetings are what saved me. You can make new, sober friends. As for the ones you had that are still using, you cannot sober them up any more than one of them could have sobered you up. Nobody is going to get this thing until they are truly ready and willing. Like has already been shared, they know you're sober and when and if they reach that point they may turn to you. In the meantime, what do YOU want? If it is to remain sober, then it is probably time to make some choices and decisions that while not easy are necessary to take care of you.

I wish you the very best!
Kellye
Old 10-30-2005, 09:47 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Lightbulb

When I was a drunk....so were my friends.

In sobriety....I have new ones that I met in AA meetings.

Works great for me!