Back from the hurricane

Old 10-27-2005, 11:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Back from the hurricane

....and I dont just mean Wilma.

Son and I rode it out alone, he was scared, I was ok...until 2 days into it when the reality that with the exception of my niece in North Carolina, not one member of my family, or my ex husbands family called to showed up to see if we/he were ok and needed help.....not even him.

My 6 brothers and sisters know Im a single parent, its just me and my boy. I called the ones that live here to check on them, spoke to their kids,,,,but not one of them called me, to share thier valuable commodities like ice or food...one even had a generator.

The worst, though........My son's father has made no attempt to inquire about him. None. No idea where he is...his family has not called either. When your divorced in their family,the "ex" becomes an outsider and hated. That would be me.

I can take the 150 mile winds, no power, no food...all that...but the lack of care, especially for my boy, is very hard to accept.

Thanks for listening to my pout...I hope to post some uplifting and wonderful things that did occur....from my friends and neighbors. Just had to get this crap out.

Missed you all.....
Old 10-27-2005, 11:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Occasional poor taste poster

Hey FOB! Glad you made it! What the heck were you thinking? Ride it out! Are you nutz! I know several people who said they would ride it out. After they did, they said never again! I'm the heck outa here next time one of those comes through!

That's gotta be scary! Sorry to hear about the personal crap but hey, you two came through just fine and that's what counts! Screw them!
Old 10-27-2005, 11:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

WOOOHOOOO and Welcome Back.

Glad to hear your both ok... sorry about the ex and such but we are happy to hear from you
Old 10-27-2005, 12:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

FOB - we missed you around here!!! glad you and your son are safe - it's a shame about the ex and ex's family - you are truly a strong woman and your son is proud of his mom, i'm sure. and, bottom line, you guys weren't really alone - God was there with you keeping you safe!
Old 10-27-2005, 12:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Occasional poor taste poster

You know FOB, the fall of 2003 I came this close, *holding finger and thumb 1/4 inch apart* from buying an investment property home in Cape Coral. Now I'm thinking with the hurricane magnet thing goin on down there, maybe I'll look around in Georgia.
Old 10-27-2005, 12:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

FOB...I have been thinking about you and your son....so very glad to know you are
ok. I am the outlaw too now that I am divorced from my boys dad, he has less hostility towards me that they do...LOL
Hope life gets back to normal for both as quickly as possible.....
Old 10-27-2005, 12:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
dax

I am so sorry your family members were uncaring. When Rita was coming to Houston, our relatives.some of whom don't contact often, us did call. I have found that friends sometimes help more than relatives. hey may be your ex was blown away. Hope things improve, dax
Old 10-27-2005, 12:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I didn't realise this one was on it's way to you too!! Glad you're both safe and that your friends were at least caring.
Old 10-27-2005, 12:38 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

(((FoB))) (((FoB Jnr)))

Glad to hear you're safe and well. Sorry to hear about the family stuff - people are nuts, what more can I say.
Old 10-27-2005, 12:43 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Acting not reacting

Happy to hear you are safe. Is the house ok? Any damage?

Family can be like that as you know, especially after divorce.

I don't want to be 'in-lawed' to anyone for that very reason. My own family is a big enough circus.
Hugs for you and your son!
Old 10-27-2005, 01:05 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Oh, welcome back FoB!
Me too...sorry about your thoughtless family members. Your family here thought of you!
Old 10-27-2005, 01:22 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
On The Bus

Originally Posted by minnie
((

people are nuts, what more can I say.
Yup!
Old 10-27-2005, 03:20 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
C2H6O != good

Friendofbill, I want to read your posts, but I seriously might have a seizure because of your avatar, please remember some of us out there have epilepsy ok

sorry, I cover my left eye to read your posts
Old 10-27-2005, 04:02 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
too much on my plate!!

FOB,
Glad to hear you and your son are alright. I also have family that could careless about me, and also understand the part about your ex's family. Funny how we are always the "bitch." But you are safe and so is your son!!!

((((FOB)))) ((((FOB's son))))
Old 10-27-2005, 06:02 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

having been seasoned in BOTH kinds of hurricanes..lol....i understand fully. all of it-from the making it thru,to the frustrations of the aftermath,to the people who dont even bother. so glad you are alright,and as someone said....ya got plenty of people here who care.
Old 10-27-2005, 06:14 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Searching and tripping

FOB...glad to hear you and your son came through this safely. Let us know how things are going.
Old 10-27-2005, 06:30 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jazzman
Sorry to hear about the personal crap but hey, you two came through just fine and that's what counts! Screw them!
I couldn't have said it better myself.

FOB....I'm so glad you are safe and okay. You are so much braver than me. Ida been outta there.
Old 10-27-2005, 06:45 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

wow,,15 love replies to my thread...thats makes my heart warm..thank you.

I am recovering, very very tired. You cannot believe how the stress and despair overtakes the body and mind.

We have power, thank god...makes a huge difference. Called everyone I know who still has no power, invited them to come over and shower, charge up batts, use internet. Feels good to help my friends...theyve all helped me in many many ways with thier love and concern.

Found out tonight I had a spacious hole in my roof that I didnt see after storm...my kind and constructionally talented neighbor climbed up and taped a plastic tarp over it...incredibe kindness and help we have gotten from the neighbors.When a person is dying for some ice...and a neighbor offers space in thier freezer, its a god sent gift.

So,,now Im paying it forward and making ice to take to my meeting tomorrow which have been scarce...we are on an 8pm-6am curfew to prevent looting and other crimes..its really dark at night with no lights.

Thanks again,friends, for your kind love sent via this website...it means more than you know!
Old 10-27-2005, 06:49 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

BY THE WAY..............

Our friend, NOCELLPHONE, is also a hurricane refugee. Spoke with him yesterday, still no power, but he and family are hanging in there. He was his usual witty and charming self. Dont forget to keep him in your prayers...will check in on him tomorrow to see how he is doing.

I bet with all the land lines down, he wishes he had a "cell" phone.

Keep him in your thoughts!
Old 10-27-2005, 06:53 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

prayers out to nocell, you and your son and all the folks down there!!!