Notices

For myself and the other lurkers...

Old 10-25-2005, 05:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Scars,Souvineers we never lose

For myself and the other lurkers...

For myself and the other lurkers, what are the reasons you feel you cant stay clean?

And for the old timers some advice for all of us?

I have been on this site for 2 years and only clean for 3 (not in a row) months.

For myself, I feel I cant stay clean b/c I feel out of touch when I am not using b/c me and my husband have used together for 10 years, and I tell myself it is not that bad because I excell in life although I use. Is ther such a thing as a functional prescription drug and alcohol user, althogh it is almost every day, and life has had no problems due to it only getting better?

Thanks,
Want
(back out there)
Old 10-25-2005, 05:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

i don't have much advice but i wanna say welcome and i hope you stick with it you can get through this i know it ... much love and pm if you want someone to talk to.
Old 10-25-2005, 05:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

ive got 10ys. i promise you if you continue your path it will go downhill.maybe not tommorow maybe not next month but it will happen. i felt like you do now thought i had the world then it was gone. cunning and baffling. good luck
Old 10-25-2005, 07:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I drank everyday for the last 10 years, and I was a highly functioning alcoholic. Really good job, nice house, cars etc.....

But eventually it started to get to me....
I would convince myself that I would not drink today, and then by 3 pm I would convince myself that it was OK "I work too hard, if I want to drink, then I will drink"

I did not lose everything, but my path was a very dangerous one. Frequent blackouts, depression, anxiety, drinking every single night for year after year....

I had finally had enough and found this site and AA. My life has had dramatic and positive changes since 2/7/05. Yours can too - but you need to want sobriety more than anything and you need to be willing to go to any length to get it

I wish you luck! You can do this.
JMHS
Old 10-25-2005, 08:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Chy

Good to see you!
I can only suggest this. Ask yourself what you would like your future to look like in a year. Then do everything in your power to achieve it.
Old 10-25-2005, 09:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Well....

I am sorry you and your husband are missing the joy of recovery.
The high I live in beats the haze of addiction...
Old 10-25-2005, 10:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Desire

In your denial, you don't have any.
Justify using all you want and you will never find the desire.

You are functioning you say... How much better would things be if you didn't use at all? How bad can things get when useing catches up with you?
Addictions are progressive. They will progress you right into the street, jail, or the grave, if you stay with it long enough.

A coyote will bite it's own leg off to get out of a trap.

Stopping now before you need do the same later, well that would be a good place to find the desire of getting clean.

Oh... don't take my word on it, or the words of so many others who have been trapped by an addiction... just keep doing what you want and you will find out for yourself what is truth.
Old 10-25-2005, 10:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My husband was "functional" too. but at some point the alcohol and prescription drugs started turning on him. You can't keep doing it forever w/o it catching up to you...better to change things now while you can...my sis-in-law waited too long...she doesn't have the mental capacity to change.

since you've been lurking and posted you know in your heart something is wrong....change it while you can.

there are lots of resources to help you. mari
Old 10-26-2005, 12:04 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by want2Bclean
Is ther such a thing as a functional prescription drug and alcohol user
Perhaps.For a while.However this is a progressive illness and will only get worse.It appears if life was that good for you as a functioning addict/alcoholic you would not be here.I hope you keep trying and someday find recovery because you are really missing out on what life really has to offer.