Excuses Alcoholics make

Old 10-25-2005, 01:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Acting not reacting

Excuses Alcoholics make

Excuses Alcoholics Make
Floyd P. Garrett, M.D.
www.bma-wellness.com

Because addiction is a stereotyped and fundamentally inhuman process it produces predictable signs and symptoms that may be used to gauge the degree of its progress as it penetrates and invades the personality of the individual afflicted by it. One set of symptoms of addiction are the customary excuses the addict makes to himself and others for the irregularities of thinking and behavior foisted upon him and those around him by his addiction.
Common stereotyped addictive defenses include but are by no means limited to the following:

• Problem? What problem?
Primitive and unconscious denial is classified as a psychotic defense mechanism because it denies or distorts reality itself. Those in the grip of psychotic denial are literally out of touch with reality. Thus an alcoholic with multiple and perfectly obvious negative consequences from his pathological drinking(legal, health, marital and job problems) may, difficult as this is to believe, indignantly and -from his perspective- honestly deny that he has a serious problem with alcohol. He doesn't know what people who criticize his drinking are talking about - and he is genuinely hurt and offended at what he perceives to be their unfair and unreasonable attacks upon him. He often reacts to expressions of concern about his drinking with self-pity, resentment, and -of course- more drinking.

• I'm not THAT bad!
Minimization and downplaying of the problems connected with addiction fill in the gaps and take up the slack left by the failure of psychotic denial to adjust reality completely to the requirements of the addiction. The addict admits that difficulties exist - but he stoutly maintains, frequently in the face of an astonishing and rapidly accumulating mountain of evidence to the contrary, that they are not really as bad as others make them out to be.

• It wasn't my fault or It's not the way it looks!
Rationalization and projection of blame attempt to distance the addict from the consequences of his(actually, of his addiction's) actions. Alternative explanations are constructed and stoutly defended, e.g. the employer who fired him or the officer who arrested him or the wife who divorced him were actuated by dishonest or frankly corrupt motives.

• All I want is a little relief!
Justification of addictive behavior is often self-pitying and subtly manipulative. The addict feels victimized, perhaps even martyred by what he believes to be the unfair circumstances of his existence and seeks consolation from his addiction. He believes himself thereby an exception and entitled to special treatment, including remission or at least mitigation of the sins caused by his addictive behavior. The prospect of giving up his addiction or, even worse, having it taken away from him by the unsympathetic demands and requirements of others fills him with horror and indignation. Blind to the fact that it is his addiction and its consequences that are making him miserable, he falsely believes that the addiction is the only source of comfort and security available to him in a cruel, cruel world.

• I'm not hurting anybody but myself!
Frequently phrased as "Leave me alone! I'm not hurting anybody but myself!" this defense invokes a legalistic right to self-harm at the same time as it denies the interpersonal and social realities of the addict's harmful behaviors. The addict, unable or unwilling to recognize how his behavior does in fact impact and thus harm other people, indignantly and self-righteously proclaims "It's MY life and I can do anything I please with it!" Curiously -and revealingly- the addict seldom finds anything incongruous in the notion that he might knowingly and willingly be harming himself, regardless of whether he is harming anyone else.

• Nobody knows the trouble I've seen!
A blatant claim for special status based upon self-pity. Because it is seldom as persuasive to others as it is to the addict himself - other people usually have difficulty seeing how one's problems, no matter how severe or unfair, justify adding further misery resulting from theoretically avoidable addictive behaviors- the frustrated addict usually becomes resentful and sullen, convinced that "nobody really understands me." This licenses, at least in the addict's mind, still more flagrant and egregious addictive acting up and out.

• I've got to be me! or You knew this when you married me!
Unable to distinguish himself from his addiction, the addict cannot imagine himself or existence without the addiction. The prospect of "losing" the addiction is unthinkable to him since it would, he believes, mean the loss of himself and of everything that makes life worth living. The addict paints a Romantic portrait for himself and others which, while it may acknowledge at least some of the destructive effects of his addiction, attempts to rationalize the insanity of addictive behavior as glorious, if tragic self-actualization and fulfillment, and to represent anything less than this, e.g. abstinence and sobriety, as a kind of forfeiture of the self and living death, to which a premature addictive exitus is much to be preferred. The fact that many addicts actually believe such transparent foolishness is a somber testimony to the power of addictive insanity.

• I HAVE to drink (or drug) for my work!
The addict insists that he will not be able to make a living or that he will no longer be successful if forced to "give up" the increasingly harmful and destructive behaviors caused by his addiction. He may regard the latter as "the cost of doing business." In the vast majority of cases, of course, his addiction has already begun to impair his work performance, his judgment, and his interpersonal relations.

• You're not so pure yourself!
Following the adage that "the best defense is a good offense" the addict seeks to turn the tables and distract attention from himself by "attacking the attacker," i.e. the individual who attempts to point out to him the reality of his addictive behavior. Under the spur of necessity to defend their addiction as they are, most addicts possess a keen eye and a sharp tongue for the shortcomings and faults of others - even as they deny or are indifferent to those of themselves. Thus the addict is often almost demonically astute at exploiting the vulnerabilities and Achilles Heels of those who, wittingly or unwittingly, threaten the continuance of his addiction.

• Trust me - I know what I am doing!
The addict, blinded to reality by his own denial, attempts to reassure those who have begun to wonder about his judgment, perhaps even about his sanity, that he is in control and that all will be well. He informs them that he is perfectly aware there is or may shortly be a problem, that he does not intend to let it get out of hand, and that he is or will be taking steps to control it.

• I can stop any time I want to!
Unaware that his addiction and not he himself is calling the shots, the addict genuinely believes that he is choosing to behave the way he does and therefore he can stop doing so any time he makes up his mind. Unfortunately for him and for those who must deal with him, he seldom makes up his mind to stop(even though he most certainly could if he wanted to, &etc. &etc. &etc.)

• I'm not nearly as bad as OTHER people!
An almost universal addictive rationalization. The addict compares himself to people who are in his opinion in far worse shape than he believes himself to be and concludes from this that there is no reason to be concerned about his own addictive behavior. Since there is always someone worse off than himself the addict feels entitled in continuing his addiction.

• I HAVE to drink (or drug) to drown my sorrows!
The victim of a dysfunctional childhood or the survivor of a difficult life, the addict attempts to persuade others, as he has largely persuaded himself, that continuing to engage in destructive addictive behavior is a rational and healthy response to his problems - or that if he does not drink or drug, he will fall apart or behave even worse.

• Now is not a good time to stop!
Another nearly universal addictive rationalization. "I'll quit tomorrow" is a familiar addictive refrain. The time never seems quite right to stop - even though the addict may be or seem to be perfectly sincere in his determination to cease his addiction "just as soon as I get through this difficult period." He may even convince himself and attempt to convince others that stopping his addictive behavior immediately would be a bad and counter-productive idea, and that the chances of success will be enormously increased if he delays his attempt to stop until a more favorable time.

• It will never, ever happen again!
Following an unusually painful or embarrassing episode caused by his addiction the remorseful, frequently tearful addict promises those he has harmed that nothing, absolutely nothing could ever cause him to repeat such behavior. He may take the lead in excoriating and flagellating himself for his unpardonable sin as a demonstration of penance and a reassurance to those he has harmed or offended. Almost always effective in allaying anxiety and soothing hurt feelings on the first occasion of use, this defense rapidly loses effectiveness with repeated use as those whom it is intended to reassure become, usually with good reason, increasingly skeptical.

• Nobody is going to tell ME what to do!
The problems caused by addiction are avoided or obscured by a heroic pose worthy of Patrick Henry("Give me liberty or give me death!"). By focusing on his supposed freedom to do as he wishes -actually the freedom of his addiction to do as it wishes- the addict sidesteps the more difficult question of the rationality and sanity of his behavior. Defiance and oppositional behavior are common defenses of addicts against looking at themselves.

• I'd be OK if it weren't for you!
The addict blames his addictive behavior on his significant other, usually his spouse. He feels resentful and self-pitying about the way he considers himself to be treated and uses this to justify his addiction. Since one of the commonest causes of resentment and self-pity in addicts is criticism by others of their addictive behavior, and since the characteristic response of the addict to such criticism is to escalate addictive behavior, this process tends to be self-perpetuating. The addict is often quite cruel in highlighting, exaggerating and exploiting any and every defect or flaw the significant other may have, or even in fabricating them out of his own mind in order to justify and rationalize his own behavior.

• Look at all I have done for you! or This is the thanks I get!
Another "guilt trip" designed to disarm or deflect criticism of addictive behavior. References to the hard work, long hours, job stress and material status of the family are common attempts to win sympathy and understanding for behavior that has become harmful to the addict and others.

• I don't have time (or money) to get help!
Almost universally deployed whenever the question of seeking professional assistance or attending AA or other mutual-support group meetings comes up. If the addict does actually take a step to get help -usually as a result of external prodding of some kind- there is a 98% probability that he will not agree with the frequency, intensity or duration of the help recommended. Underestimation of his problem and the belief that it can be controlled by what others more informed about such matters know are half measures is the rule rather than the exception in addiction.

• I'll handle it myself!
Another nearly universal defense. The addict finally acknowledges and even believes that he has a significant problem but is adamant that he can and will deal with it by himself rather than seeking any kind of professional or support group help. Because he does not yet understand the nature of addiction he supposes that recovery is merely a matter of will power, hence that it is superfluous or even a disgrace to ask for help from others for what he ought to be able to do by himself.

Old 10-25-2005, 01:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm not hurting anybody but myself!
Frequently phrased as "Leave me alone! I'm not hurting anybody but myself!" this defense invokes a legalistic right to self-harm at the same time as it denies the interpersonal and social realities of the addict's harmful behaviors. The addict, unable or unwilling to recognize how his behavior does in fact impact and thus harm other people, indignantly and self-righteously proclaims "It's MY life and I can do anything I please with it!" Curiously -and revealingly- the addict seldom finds anything incongruous in the notion that he might knowingly and willingly be harming himself, regardless of whether he is harming anyone else.

Nobody knows the trouble I've seen!
A blatant claim for special status based upon self-pity. Because it is seldom as persuasive to others as it is to the addict himself - other people usually have difficulty seeing how one's problems, no matter how severe or unfair, justify adding further misery resulting from theoretically avoidable addictive behaviors- the frustrated addict usually becomes resentful and sullen, convinced that "nobody really understands me." This licenses, at least in the addict's mind, still more flagrant and egregious addictive acting up and out.
Yep - that was my AH.

Thanks for the post!
Old 10-25-2005, 01:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Great post - you're really coming up with them at mo, hon.

Have you though about posting this on the General Recovery forum?
Old 10-25-2005, 02:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Wow. Thanks for posting SE. I can't wait to share this with my MIL. She's in the "is he or isn't he an A" stage that I was at about 7 months ago.
Old 10-25-2005, 02:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Acting not reacting

I am all over this stuff today.
Its making me feel better about living my life.

All this information just slams the "Get on with getting on" right into my head!

The Recovery train is leaving my house and he can get on board if he chooses, or see me off. His choice.
Old 10-25-2005, 02:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
too much on my plate!!

Great info SE!!Thanks for sharing!!

Yep, I can relate. Especially the "Your not so pure youself." He would throw the fact that I lost my son into the mix, and well, ah lets just say that is a very, very sore subject. Especially when he was sober he would tell me how unfair the courts were and how he couldn't believe the corruption.

Another one that stands out is "now isn't a good time to stop." Which says to me he's having to much fun partying, and basically uses booze to "destress" himself.
Old 10-25-2005, 05:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

All this information just slams the "Get on with getting on" right into my head!

The Recovery train is leaving my house and he can get on board if he chooses, or see me off. His choice.
you have no idea how bad i needed these right now.....you are so right on!! thank you thank you thank you!! ya got me right on those tracks again!
Old 10-26-2005, 02:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Doug

I've used all of those myself at some point, and when I hear them now I kind of chuckle to myself, because I know the real meaning. I always knew deep down it was BS, but I couldn't admit that to myself, let alone anybody else. Alot of effort went into the manipulation....

Good post Elizabeth.

Old 10-26-2005, 02:51 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Binge poster

what on EARTH is that gif you've got doug?
looks like the inside of my son's head!

J
xxx
Old 10-26-2005, 03:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
jlb

Excuses

I'm new to this but this conversation caught my eye. I recently divorced my alcoholic husband. Although he has been sober for several years, with occassional lapses, he continued to exhibit the alcoholic personality. Anything that happened was never his fault; it was always mine. When he started shoving me into walls and doors and leaving very large, very noticeable bruises, I decided it was time to leave. He has continued to harrass me since I filed for divorce and since the divorce is final. Any suggestions on how to deal with this situation?

jlb
Old 04-21-2014, 09:50 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

This is my broken heart, dissected. I listened to it all, believed how "bad" I am, got pushed away as our son and I became more and more threatening to his disease. All I can do now is stay away from this sh!t as much as possible. And raise my baby up in the sanest home possible.
Old 04-22-2014, 05:44 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I LOVE all the articles by Floyd P. Garrett!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He has many other articles on the website mentioned above. I encourage anyone who hasn't read them to investigate. These articles...more than any other....helped me to understand where the alcoholic was coming from.

dandylion
Old 04-22-2014, 06:24 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I think you just summed up my whole relationship with my AH. 1+1=2.

to jlb: document episodes, involve police reports if possible, contact local DV for help, no contact/restraining order. Protect yourself against this horrible disease---it is dangerous.
Old 04-22-2014, 06:43 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by elizabeth1979 View Post
Excuses Alcoholics Make

[/indent]
  • All I want is a little relief!
Justification of addictive behavior is often self-pitying and subtly manipulative. The addict feels victimized, perhaps even martyred by what he believes to be the unfair circumstances of his existence and seeks consolation from his addiction. He believes himself thereby an exception and entitled to special treatment, including remission or at least mitigation of the sins caused by his addictive behavior. The prospect of giving up his addiction or, even worse, having it taken away from him by the unsympathetic demands and requirements of others fills him with horror and indignation. Blind to the fact that it is his addiction and its consequences that are making him miserable, he falsely believes that the addiction is the only source of comfort and security available to him in a cruel, cruel world.

• I'm not hurting anybody but myself!

• Nobody knows the trouble I've seen!

• I've got to be me! or You knew this when you married me!
Unable to distinguish himself from his addiction, the addict cannot imagine himself or existence without the addiction. The prospect of "losing" the addiction is unthinkable to him since it would, he believes, mean the loss of himself and of everything that makes life worth living. The addict paints a Romantic portrait for himself and others which, while it may acknowledge at least some of the destructive effects of his addiction, attempts to rationalize the insanity of addictive behavior as glorious, if tragic self-actualization and fulfillment, and to represent anything less than this, e.g. abstinence and sobriety, as a kind of forfeiture of the self and living death, to which a premature addictive exitus is much to be preferred. The fact that many addicts actually believe such transparent foolishness is a somber testimony to the power of addictive insanity.

• You're not so pure yourself!
Following the adage that "the best defense is a good offense" the addict seeks to turn the tables and distract attention from himself by "attacking the attacker," i.e. the individual who attempts to point out to him the reality of his addictive behavior. Under the spur of necessity to defend their addiction as they are, most addicts possess a keen eye and a sharp tongue for the shortcomings and faults of others - even as they deny or are indifferent to those of themselves. Thus the addict is often almost demonically astute at exploiting the vulnerabilities and Achilles Heels of those who, wittingly or unwittingly, threaten the continuance of his addiction.

• I HAVE to drink (or drug) to drown my sorrows!
The victim of a dysfunctional childhood or the survivor of a difficult life, the addict attempts to persuade others, as he has largely persuaded himself, that continuing to engage in destructive addictive behavior is a rational and healthy response to his problems - or that if he does not drink or drug, he will fall apart or behave even worse.

• Nobody is going to tell ME what to do!
The problems caused by addiction are avoided or obscured by a heroic pose worthy of Patrick Henry("Give me liberty or give me death!"). By focusing on his supposed freedom to do as he wishes -actually the freedom of his addiction to do as it wishes- the addict sidesteps the more difficult question of the rationality and sanity of his behavior. Defiance and oppositional behavior are common defenses of addicts against looking at themselves.

• I'd be OK if it weren't for you!
The addict blames his addictive behavior on his significant other, usually his spouse. He feels resentful and self-pitying about the way he considers himself to be treated and uses this to justify his addiction. Since one of the commonest causes of resentment and self-pity in addicts is criticism by others of their addictive behavior, and since the characteristic response of the addict to such criticism is to escalate addictive behavior, this process tends to be self-perpetuating. The addict is often quite cruel in highlighting, exaggerating and exploiting any and every defect or flaw the significant other may have, or even in fabricating them out of his own mind in order to justify and rationalize his own behavior.

• Look at all I have done for you! or This is the thanks I get!
Another "guilt trip" designed to disarm or deflect criticism of addictive behavior. References to the hard work, long hours, job stress and material status of the family are common attempts to win sympathy and understanding for behavior that has become harmful to the addict and others.

These are the excuses that my AH uses. I guess you can sum it up as he's the victim and likes to place blame on everyone except for himself.
Old 04-22-2014, 07:16 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I think I have heard every form of denial from my AH at one point or another as he progressed in his disease. Some, like the victim role are his favorite. He is always being personally attacked on some level it seems and it never has to do with anything he may have done.
Old 04-22-2014, 07:27 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

My AH seems to turn the tables on me every time...I keep telling him I know I'm not perfect and that my faults have nothing to do with his drinking but to no avail. I don't try anymore... he keeps telling me I am negative and only focus on the bad and not the good, also that I'll never be happy, I'll never find what I'm looking for, etc....I'm hoping I am strong enough now, after many years of therapy, to stick with it and tell him enough is enough.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:55 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I can't begin to tell how many times I have heard variations of these excuses. My AH's favorite excuse for falling is that "his knee buckled". True, he has a bad knee, but if he was not drunk, he would be able to catch his balance (he never falls when he is sober). The latest was Easter when he tumbled down the back stairs from the deck and ended up halfway down with his feet stuck through the side railing and his head two steps down. I had to remove a vertical post to get him unstuck...
Old 04-22-2014, 08:08 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Oh dear. Hugs to you.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:22 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Dontreallycare, I think I might have left him there....for awhile anyway.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:24 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

My AH is skilled at turning the tables on me. For the longest time I just wouldn't bring up any divisive issues, cuz it never did any good. Now I point out to him what he's doing. It's so frustrating.