Nightmares?

Old 10-18-2005, 03:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Nightmares?

Am I the only one that gets these on a regular basis (at least once a month) if not more?

I'm not under any more stress then normal..life is going along well..I'm in general..happy with life..

I had a whopper last night..Someone is always trying to chase me and trying to kill me..

I was diagnosed by a few separate therapists as having Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)..Probably a combination of my childhood and dating some alcoholics...

or..as Patty said..It could be the full moon..
Old 10-18-2005, 03:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Acting not reacting

I have horrible nightmares several times a week. The recurring nightmare involves a man who slices my face from lip to forehead. I recover and then he stalks me and every time I look aout my window I see him staring in.

I have not been able to figure out the meaning of that and have been looking for a good dream dictionary type website.

Do you have a recurring nightmare or different ones?
Old 10-18-2005, 03:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well Im right there if dreaming about my ex-abf is a nightmare *nods* yep Im right there too!
Old 10-18-2005, 03:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

The nightmares aren't recurring..they are different..

I just hate having them..I seem to have sleep issues..it's gotten better over the year but I don't sleep the whole night..I always wake up a few times..

I refuse to become dependent on sleep meds too..

I'll only take something if I haven't slept in a few nights..
Old 10-18-2005, 04:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

i haven't slept the night through in YEARS, but i on the other hand, don't remember my dreams much at all. i take valerian (natural remedy) if i really feel like i can't sleep and it helps a bit.
Old 10-18-2005, 05:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
too much on my plate!!

I used to have terrible nightmares where I would be hysterical and crying when exabf would wake me up. Now that I am single and don't sleep with anyone, I think I just sleep right through the crying and nightmares. Maybe thats why all my animals look at me funny in the morning!!
Old 10-18-2005, 09:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

im kinda glad you brought this up!! i have been having off and on for the last 6-8 months,i guess.....alot of bloody,gory dreams. either someone is murdered,or they are murdered and dismembered.they are always different,but one of these scenerios. it really stresses me out just wondering why i am having them!!!!!!
Old 10-19-2005, 04:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Alcohol is a cruel mistress!!!

I am insomniac, i take medication to sleep. I rarely remember my dreams but with out the medicine I wouldn't sleep good at all. Sunshine, yours dreams sound scary as hell. Even with medication I wake at least once a night and its not unusally for me to get up as early as 5. I would love to be a sound sleeper who can get 8-10 naturally. The dreams
that you all are talking about makes me glad I don't have them or at least don't remember them. I wish you all a dreamfree and sound nights sleep. Kerry
Old 10-19-2005, 09:15 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Oh my had one last night....can't remember it now though.
I still say that darn full moon has something to do with all of this!!!!!!
Old 10-19-2005, 03:14 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I would love to know more about dreams. I don't really have any (heck I can sleep through my alarm) but my son....he's only 9 and has very very graphic dreams. The last one he had was my AH and him and our daughter were in the car and my AH get's jumped by four people. He got out of his car and my son could see my AH's face as it got slammed up against the car window. With every hit my AH took, my son could see the blood come out of AH's face. How horrible for anyone, but especially a 9-year-old to experience.

Sorry...I got a little off topic. The whole dream thing concerns me b/c I don't really understand them much at all.

I wish each of you a peaceful nights sleep
Old 10-19-2005, 05:17 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

odd thing is,is in the past i always knew when i was stressed out and not realizing it by having nightmares. the kind where you jump up scared,or with your heart racing,etc. these are different....even though they are disturbing,i dont wake up feeling the same kind of panic...just disturbed...and not always right away,maybe at a later part of the dream sometimes by outside disturbances (such as the alarm clock) sometimes not. maybe its just because my life is different now....(the dismemberment) and with much change in it (the dead body)(rebirth)......i mean after all,i have moved to a new place,in a new area,am not coupled with a man after almost three years, etc...????????
ok,and this is going to sound REALLY whacko but the blood at times...........maybe something to do with the absence of regular monthly cycles now????????????????
Old 10-19-2005, 06:02 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

"I'm Being Chased"

Chase dreams often stem from feelings of anxiety in your walking life. The way we respond to anxiety and pressure in real life is typically manifested as a chase dream. Running is an instinctive response to physical threats in our environment. Often in these dream scenarios, you are being pursued by some attacker, who wants to hurt or possibly kill you. You are running away, hiding, or trying to outwit your pursuer. Chase dreams may represent your way of coping with fears, stress or various situations in your waking life. Instead of confronting the situation, you are running away and avoiding it. Ask yourself who is the one chasing you and you may gain some understanding and insight on the source of your fears and pressure.

The pursuer or attacker who is chasing you in your dream may also represent a part of yourself. Your own feelings of anger, jealousy, fear, and possibly love, can assume the appearance of threatening figure. You may be projecting these feelings onto the unknown chaser. Next time you have a chase dream, turn around and confront your pursuer. Ask them why they are chasing you.

One may be consumed by their own anger, jealousy, love, or self-destructive behavior. For example, you may be drinking too much or exhibiting open hostility toward others around you. You may subconsciously be threatened by these actions which have been jeopardizing your relationships and/or career. Your dreams are a way of calling attention to these self-destructive actions.
Old 10-19-2005, 06:11 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
too much on my plate!!

Given my situation with my son, I've had terrible dreams of me seeing him for the first time since 2002, and he is really old, his teeth are terribly crocked, and he had hair plugs as his hair was falling out.
Old 10-19-2005, 08:30 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

i keep a dream journal. after waking i write down the dream. after a month i look for patterns in the dreams and something usally comes up.

i find daily exercise and meditation, esp meditation before sleep calmed me down and i stopped having nightmares. sometimes i dont rememeber dreaming but people in my house or whereever im sleeping say i was screaming and cursing in my sleep. im unsettled that i scream obscenitites and other things in my sleep.

i was on meds for insomnia in the past but thats not curing the problem for me. a lot of my nightmares came from being anxious, dealing with traumatic past events, going to regular recovery and therapy sessions whihc brought out stuff from my subconscious. i found stress has a big impact on my dreams too esp the kind where i feel life is out of control. working the steps etc has helped me a lot and i dont have nightmares regularly anymore.
Old 10-20-2005, 08:33 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks Minnie for finding what it it means..

Last night I had 2 more dreams (curry has a way of bringing on weird dreams)..In the dreams my current boyfriend became a drug addict/alcoholic and my exABF was deep into his addiction and trying to hurt me..

I hate waking up like this..cuz then I go into a major obsessive episode..(in my head)..I did some writing this morning and that helps..

I know I'm not working out nearly enough (only 3 days week) and feeling like I don't have enough "me" time since I have Alanon, volunteer, date and try to see my friends..
Old 10-20-2005, 08:46 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I've never had any dreams or nightmares about my AH's drinking, but I do have one recurrent horrible dream. Probably once a month, I STILL dream that it is the last semester before I graduate from college. It's the day before finals, and I suddenly remember that there is one class that I have forgotten about and haven't gone to all semester. I'm panicking because that F would cause me not to graduate and to get kicked out of my department and/or school YIKES! I've been out of school 4 1/2 years and I still have it.
Old 10-20-2005, 08:50 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I am always being chased by someone, and I go into this big house and I have a special hiding place and If I make it in there on time, I will be safe. It seems I always make it in there in time, with this person standing there and looking around, and I try not to breath to hard for fear of him hearing me. I use to dream this all the time, now not so much, but once in a while, same house, same safe spot, it just freaks me out and I would like to know what the meaning of this is.

My other dream is my h cheating on me, with me standing right there, and him having to choose, and he always chooses the other person, the feeling that I have is desperation.