Codies Everywhere

Old 10-13-2005, 08:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Codies Everywhere

OMYGOODNESS! I LOVE my job, I really do. Each year, we get a new group of girls to do data entry in the database department. THey've always been fun, but this year.........is Codie Ville.'

One girl, T, is a cutie pie, but is a emotional wreck. Lotsa changes in her life and she cries at the drop of a hat. She'll tell ya (anybody) up front that's she's a co-dependant and is messed up. She tries SO hard to be perfect at work, so that people will acknowledge her and she gets bummed if she's not the center of attention.

Another one, M, is older and is very close minded. If you say a word around her that she does not like, she'll say "don't say that word around me". Like the word "suck". "I HATE that word!" and then she tries to be perfect at work, too, to impress others.

The 3rd one, C, is young,...about 24 and is loud and needs attention all the time. Interrupts, says rude things, blows her nose everywhere and leaves the kleenex lying around. She's hard to handle.

It's like walking on eggshells there and it sucks! (oops, there's that word again you can feel the tension when you walk into the department. Everyone is talking at once and it's all like "pay attention to me! I'm the special one".

AY yi yi. The only way I can get through the day with sanity is to listen to my disc player and tune out the noise.

What else should I be doing? How can I not let these people bug me so much? Cuz I wanna keep loving my job.

Thanks!
Old 10-14-2005, 02:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Reminds me of a song

"Alkies to the left of me, codies to the right, here I am, stuck in the middle with you."
Old 10-14-2005, 04:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Alcohol is a cruel mistress!!!

You gals are a riot! LOL Great advice! You have a good strategy to avoid the chaos Girl friend! That group of ladies would drive me crazy. Good luck, Kerry
Old 10-14-2005, 08:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Minnie that is just toooo funny!

Who knows GF, maybe you will be the one to set them straight *grins*

Do what all codies do FIX THEM!
Old 10-14-2005, 08:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Searching and tripping

Continuing off Dakoda's thread. Good idea about the slogans. Should they hang around your desk, gently ask them to remove themselves (or get the hell away) from your "space". Three feet from your desk. That way, you can create your own private area in your mind and around yourself. You're safe there. Your private bubble that no one can penetrate.
Old 10-14-2005, 08:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Searching and tripping

Jeez Minnie...drove me nuts until I could remember the words to the song. Clowns and jokers/alkies and codies. As they say in this neck of the woods...same difference.
Old 10-14-2005, 08:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
On a tear

Remember going to an Alanon meeting for the first time?

I don't know about any of you, but I got a lot of smiles, nods and at least one 'keep coming back'. No one told me how I should change, no one tried to make me change, they just shared their experience, hope and strength... then stepped back and let me flounder around until I was ready to listen again.

Some of that might work in the office... all you can do is keep good boundaries, detach from what you don't like and talk about your experience. I have often recognized my OWN behaviors in others - most especially those of mine that I don't care for.... and try to remember what it was that helped to be less like that (if I am).

I wish you the best....
Old 10-14-2005, 08:18 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Matt is an elderly Irishman who would talk to me and D in the pub (yep once upon a time we were there!). When we said we were getting married he said he had an important story to tell us.

When he had been in the navy he had shared a cabin with a guy who drew. He said this guy did the most beautiful charcoal pictures that he hung all round the walls. One day Matt decided to have a go because he'd always liked drawing at school. He said he worked for hours on that picture and when his cabin mate returned he asked if he could see it.

Matt said he was ashamed of his drawing and at first argued it was so bad he wouldn't show it but his artist mate insisted. He said his friend looked at his attempt and said how good it was, pointing out different things he liked.

Then he said the artist told him any fool can see what's wrong but it takes an intelligent man to see what's good and work on it.

He told us to remember the story - I have and I think myself very lucky to have been told it.

It's as near as I can get to answering this question:
How can I not let these people bug me so much? Cuz I wanna keep loving my job.
Old 10-14-2005, 07:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

AHHH!!

That's a BEAUTIFUL analogy, Equus. Thank you! and thank you, other post-ers, for your helpful replies (yeah, that is a song by "Stealer's Wheel", Gianna. Use to be my favorite....now I'm gonna remember those clever words Minnie put in the song.....that was great!!!

You're right. I let people take the joy outta my joy. And, that's so wrong. Who gave them permission to do that? Well..........I would, if I let them ruin my day and my job.

Look for the good and leave the bad. Life is WAY too short to sweat the small stuff.

Thank you!
Old 10-14-2005, 08:01 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

girlfriend,i have the same thing goin on at my job...just different people with different bad habits. its only five of us,so its tight quarters........i too love what i do, and my outside customers. i have always said its a good thing i am on the road most of the day cuz if i had to be in there with them i would have never havve made it five years this april coming up!!
when i went to that one aa meeting back a few months ago the guy who was chairing the meeting said something that really hit home with me,and has really helped me. he said when he was working all the guys would complain about the boss and the goings on--all the time. he said he finally realized that his boss pays him x amount of dollars to come in and do x amount of work. outside of that,nothing mattered or was any of his business. when i start to get annoyed,i think of that. it seems to help.
Old 10-15-2005, 10:54 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

That's awesome, SBS! Thanks for sharing that.