Courage to Change

Old 10-13-2005, 05:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Courage to Change

I recently had an argument with someone I care about. He had made, all too publicly, a few remarks to me about my weight, and I was less than pleased. Later, when I told him that my feelings were hurt, he insisted he had done nothing wrong-that what he had said was true, so I shouldn't take offense.
How often have I justified my own unkindness, or my interfering where I had no business, with that very argument? Too many times, especially during my alcoholic loved one's drinking days. After all, I claimed, I was right: Alcohol was ruining our lives, and it was my duty to say so-again, and again, and again.
I am learning to let go of my certainty about what other people should do. In Al-Anon I heard someone put it this way: "I can be right or I can be happy." I don't have to make anyone over in my image. With help, I can live and let live.

Today's Reminder

I am not an insensitive person, but at times I have justified insensitive behavior by claiming to be right. I can respect another's right to make his or her own choices, even when I strongly disagree. My relationships will improve if I can love myself enough to let other people be themselves.

"Lord, when we are wrong, make us willing to change. And when we are right, make us easy to live with. "
Peter Marshall

taken from Courage To Change, page 303
Old 10-14-2005, 12:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Great reading.

How did I become so arrogant that I thought I knew what was best for someone (everyone)?
Old 10-14-2005, 03:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by escape artist
I am not an insensitive person, but at times I have justified insensitive behavior by claiming to be right. I can respect another's right to make his or her own choices, even when I strongly disagree. My relationships will improve if I can love myself enough to let other people be themselves.
Thanks escape artist, that's a keeper.
Old 10-14-2005, 06:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Alcohol is a cruel mistress!!!

Hi Escape Artist! is this a common behavior of his person you care about? Being honest is no excuse for insensitve actions. This must have been very hurtful. IMO now, i would not tolerate this friend if this sorta thing happens often. The fact that you care about him complicates this situation. Follow your heart. Best wishes to you, With love, Kerry
Old 10-14-2005, 11:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

i like that reading escape artist.