Notices

Went to the doc & had bloodwork done today

Old 10-11-2005, 04:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Went to the doc & had bloodwork done today

I stopped drinking a week ago after about 15 years on & off. I've been thinking about going to the doc & have been way too scared. The last couple days I've been having mild dull pains in my right upper abdomen. Right where your liver & a few other major organs are. Today it felt slightly worse, so after reading some stuff online i decided to call the doc. they had an appt in 30 minutes so i left work & sped the whole way there. I was so nervous my blood pressure was up & i even cried a little when i was talking to the doc. he took some blood, pressed on my abdomen & didn't feel anything so i guess that's good. I won't get the results until Thursday. He also wants me to go to the hospital to have an ultrasound on my gall bladder, liver & pancreas. i have to call & schedule that. This should tell me if i have gall stones or liver or pancreas damage or anything. I'm PETRIFIED to do this & get the results. I've already convinced myself that there has to be some irreversible liver damage after all these years. I keep thinking, how can i be completely healthy when I've been slowly poisoning my body for years, but i guess it's better to find out now rather than later. I will never forget the fear, anxiety & guilt that I'm feeling right now. Normally when i was feeling this anxious I would be pouring a glass of wine to ease my nerves & then another & another until I fell asleep & then wake up feeling even more anxious. I'm so fearful for my health right now that i can't even imagine touching a drop of alcohol. I'll keep you posted on my results. Please say a prayer for me & hope for the best for me. I really need the support right now.
Old 10-11-2005, 05:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Remain strong, you are doing the right thing!!!!! CONGRATS!!!

I too can play the tape to the end, making the situation much worse playing it out in my mind. Over and over.

Generally, none of it's true.........

What type of program are you working to get, and STAY sober?
Old 10-11-2005, 05:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
ASH

Hi LoveLiving,
Sorry to hear your pains continued, but the good new is you are taking care of business!
I know how anxious you will be feeling until Thurs but lets hold a positive thought.
Please keep in touch here at SR and let us know how it goes with the Dr., and keep your resolve
not drink no matter what!
Take Care
Old 10-11-2005, 05:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

You were wise to go....and wiser still to have the ultra sound.

It really is bettter to know the facts rather than to stew over shadows.

It was very good that he did not feel your liver..

Prayers for your peace of mind coming your way!
Old 10-12-2005, 06:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Jack

Hi Living...and be glad you are. Lot's of people who did what you did are dead today.
One important thing to remember....you're going thru detox. It's only been a week and that's a drop in the bucket as far as cleaning out your mind and body. Every pain will feel exaggerated, every emotion will feel exaggerated, sleep will be difficult, eating will be sporadic, self pity will rear it's ugly head. I've heard and believe that after prolonged booze or drug use we have 'toxic brain' for years sometimes.
You can beat this. You say "I can't imagine touching a drop of alcohol'. That's now.
When you start feeling better the obsession for a drink will come back. Almost guaranteed. That's when you need to be on guard. Try to remember what you're going thru now. If you can get into a formal detox/rehab you should. That's where you'll learn the tools that will help you not to relapse. If not a rehab I hope you're going to AA. AA is invaluable and has saved many lives and kept many people sober.
Getting sober isn't that tough. It's staying sober that is the challenge.
God bless
Old 10-14-2005, 07:29 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Dear LoveLiving - I am wondering how you did with your bloodwork. After my first test, my ALT, AST levels were in the 100's, after second test they were in the 90's. Then I went ahead and managed to avoid my doctor for about a year. He recently called me back in and I will get test results next Wednesday. I am 30 days sober and hoping for better news.

Did you see SUPERSIZE ME, the documentary by Morgan Spurlock, who ate only McDonald's food for 30 days? His levels soared into the 500's from the 20's in that time period. I don't know what this has to do with us neccessarily, except that my Dr. did not freak out too much about my levels although I got a stern lecture.

I hope your results were good.

Marilyn