Notices

Experience with withdrawal symptoms??

Old 10-09-2005, 03:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Experience with withdrawal symptoms??

Since stopping using alcohol last week after years of drinking, i've had very few withdrawal symptoms besides a headache one night. Other than that i've noticed a decreased appetite & some dull aches & pains now & then in my stomach & ribs. anyone have any experience with this? any advice on what type of diet to follow since i probably haven't been getting proper nutrition for a long time? im trying to eat more fruit & vegetables & i'm trying to take vitamins & also been supplementing it with milk thistle that i bought at a health food store. it's supposed to be good for helping the liver function properly & help repair damage to it. any other advice??
Old 10-09-2005, 03:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sounds like you did your research. Milk thistle is good for liver fuction. If you are having trouble with your stomache you might want to try alfalfa pills, they are really inexpesive, and can be found at the health store. You might want to try and add B compex or at least B12, and at least 1000 mg of vit C per day. If you really want to get serious go buy yourself a juicer, and drink as much fresh fruits and veggies as possible.
Old 10-09-2005, 03:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

thanks for the info. i might check out the alfalfa pills tomorrow. that's something i never heard of before. i just wish i had been this concerned about my well being years ago.
Old 10-09-2005, 05:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
ASH

Your are so lucky to be through the detox phase with just a headache, now dont look back the past is done, just keep going!!!!
Old 10-09-2005, 05:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Redefined

It sounds like your on a good path to sobriety.
Learning how to take good care of your body through a healthy and nutritious diet is such a great way of practicing good self-worth and self-love.
Congrats!!!
Old 10-09-2005, 06:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

thanks sooo much for the words of encouragement. it brought a tear to my eye. i guess that's part of actually feeling emotions instead of just numbing them.
Old 10-09-2005, 06:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
You're never alone!!

Hi there Love,,,

You sound so good, so positive, good for you!!! Keep that frame of mind.
Stick around here and share it, that is a wonderful thing to do, I feel like you get out of life what you give, so many positive people are needed on Sr that are positive like you..
I went to treatment, and when I went, they fed us, really almost anything we wanted ( well no, not shrimp and lobster, but you get the point) but they would give people 2 full trays of food, you just can't believe the way that some people ate!! But they said that they did that because they wanted to start giving people some badly needed nutrition.. To many addicts and alcoholics don't eat, they just do drugs and drink. Some people really put on weight in the month or so that we were there.
Really people do need to eat a real balanced diet. Theres nothing wrong with any type of food when in moderation. But if you are lacking nurtition as bad as most, then you really need to eat a good variety of meats, vetables, fruits, and grains... The government does have a new food pyramid some where here on the net.. Maybe check into that.
I myself am not to crazy about that high protein diet,.. But I know alot of people really like that, I feel meat is good but so are tghe good carbohydrates..

Keep on with the great work...
Love, Becky
Old 10-09-2005, 06:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Gypsy

Time is on your side

I too reached a point in my life where withdraw symptoms just vanished. Thank God....for that is the only force at work in this area!!!! Try eating healthy foods like vegetables and limit caffine. Caffine can make you ache real bad. Vitamins are good too. And do not eat after 5 pm...that will lead to fatigue.

Happy For You !!!!
Old 10-09-2005, 07:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you sooo much for the advice!! I'm trying to stay positive on the outside, but inside there's still a lot of fears. I definitely need all the support I can get. Thanks again!!